Few Newbie questions

Stephandboys

If you want a professional picture of the family you can get dressier. If not, just wear slacks and a nice top to dinner on elegant night. It's very casual now a days. Welcome to your new addiction of cruising!

If you pack clothes in dry cleaner bags it stops wrinkles somehow. I leave blouses and slcaks on hangars when I pack, makes unpacking easy. Nothing really wrinkles with the dc bags. You have to wear close toed shoes for the Behind the Fun tour. No steakhouse. They do offer steakhouse items for a fee in the MDR.

What great advice!! I can't wait to try the dc bag idea!! Thank you!

The Fantasy was the first ship we ever sailed on and we loved it. Since that first cruise we have been fortunate enough to have sailed on each class of ship that carnival operates and the fantasy is still our favorite.

Bigger/Newer Dose not Equal Better!!!!

First cruise - waited a long time. I know we are taking the "bottom rung" ship for our first one, but it's a good starter. (Carnival Fantasy) Going with a group, so it will be fun. From what I'm reading, we will have no where to go but up from here, as far as cruise lines are concerned, it looks like! (like Carnival Breeze and Dream and Magic...?) But we'll certainly have fun on this maiden voyage regardless.

My first cruise was on the Sensation, and it was wonderful so don't worry too much about being on one of the older ships

Anyway - one reason we have waited so long is to get our boys through college (two graduating debt free in a matter of months now) and a very active business. Being business owners, there are no "down days". We just take our business with us via our laptops.

Me too. Me too.

First question - I've read that internet is an extra fee. Anyone know how much that fee is and are there restricted times we can access the internet?

It is kind of pricey, as per the CCL website:

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Second question - I've heard differing opinions on the dress code. We are doing the Cozumel/Progreso cruise, so I know it'll be summer casual dress 99% of the time. But what about the one nice-dinner dress night? Suit for him/dress for me, or is it even more casual than that?

I tell my daughter "JUST LOOK NICE" for the dress up evenings

Third question - it's pretty obvious we are not youngsters anymore - we like nice relaxing, little romantic venues. We also ballroom dance. I'm thinking Fantasy may not be our top pick for those types of things. Anyone have recommendations for future cruises that cater more to us "older" folks who don't want to do the ropes course or the water park? We are still very active, though - hikes, dancing, runners, etc, etc.

I feel like other than the steakhouse, I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing any sort of ballroom dancing, romantic things. That doesn't mean you won't have romance... something simple like walking the open decks after dinner with a stellar sunset would be romantic in my world.

Thanks for any tips!

Bon Voyage and all those fun words!!

welcome to a great way to vacation!

• 4 weeks later...

WELLLLLLL...........not sure if all you awesome folks who posted and replied to all my questions over this last month will be notified of this post - I hope so. Because I wanted to thank you for all your insight and help - it WILL eventually pay off! But just not today! I asked every question imaginable except the one that happened.

Weather.

Good grief - who would have thunk it. But I should have realized as we were driving south in the middle of a tornado warning......hmmm. Fantasy could not make it to port. We had driven down the night before we were to sail (Sunday, January 21) and spend the night in Mobile and sail the next day. We got the first notice at dinner on Sunday night: Fantasy cannot come to port due to high winds. More later.....

The next morning, the ship is still out at sea. So, we went through an eyelash-pulling-bloodpressure-raising several hours of trying to keep our hotel room, which was overbooked because of all the folks who drove down the day of the cruise and needed to spend the night waiting for the ship to arrive a day late. The manager is the one who was pulling out his eyelashes - I was unusually calm. We ended up keeping our room just as another update came over the wire - Fantasy not expected to dock until around 11am on Tuesday.

SOOO......not being a savvy cruiser yet, I simply used logic. IF, a typical cruise went like this: Ship docks at 6am, guest disembark at 8am, crew cleans, cleans, cleans. Next set of guests embark around 11am, sail around 4pm. That's about 10 hours in port. I figured Fantasy would not set sail until around 8-10pm Tuesday night. I was right.

AND, to prevent a domino effect of further cruises, my cruise was shortened by one day. (with compensation,of course) The problem was, they took out Cozumel and left in Progreso.

Kind of a bummer. So, we took the 100% refund (even though we did not buy the vacation insurance) cut our losses and drove the 5 hours back home.

I looked at the live webcam - and sure enough, they JUST NOW sailed.

BUT.....we are not deterred.....we came home, slept it off like a bad hangover, called and booked another cruise and we are not on the countdown for our STILL FIRST CRUISE!!!

And we chose a longer cruise! We are going on a 7 day Feb 26-March 5 - Western Caribbean!! I am very excited once again! 33 days and counting down!

So - I'm sure I'll have more questions once again - but will be shifting over to Carnival Dream threads, I guess. (still figuring out how this works!)

Thanks to anyone who responded!

Bon Voyage!

New question-sea sickness. I had struggled with car sickness all my life-typically having to ride in the front or drive as I got older. Funny, after my Lasic eye surgery in 2004 and change in hormones in 2007(TMI), the car sickness has greatly diminished, oddly enough. Weird. I can now even read in the car if the road isn't to windy. Even weirder. (on the hormone issue-I have read there is some correlation between migraine headaches and motion sickness...who knew...) So, naturally I'm very concerned about sea sickness. Your experiences??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. I get migraines often and get car sick sometimes, however in 15 cruises I have never gotten seasick.

Interesting. I get migraines often and get car sick sometimes, however in 15 cruises I have never gotten seasick.

That is VERY good news, then!! In preparing for the cruise, we ended up not taking this week (previous post), I had started taking Bonine. I was told to take it the day before you sail. I also took it the day I THOUGHT we were going to sail. I mistakenly took it on an empty stomach and was ready for a nap!! AHAHAH! Good thing I realized that now! The day before, I took it with breakfast and felt no adverse effects.

BUT - I hope not to get seasick either.....when we FINALLY sail!! ;-)

Don't worry about the class of the ship. Cruise lines work their asses off to make sure you have a good time. Just soak it in and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff. Too many people look for things to complain about. I watch them all the time with a dopey grin (which I call my cruise face). Enjoy!

geduffer - Well, since we ended up canceling this cruise due to the weather (I wrote a full explanation about it somewhere in this post - still trying to figure out how this works.....), in my attempt to not get TO depressed and try to get some kind of cruising fix even if it's not on the actual ship yet, I started rereading all the posts to my questions and I just realized something. You haven't taken any Carnival Cruises. Is that because of where you guys are located? And I have not seen any Celebrity Cruises down here in the deep south, I don't think anyway. Are the cruise lines geographically located?

That is VERY good news, then!! In preparing for the cruise, we ended up not taking this week (previous post), I had started taking Bonine. I was told to take it the day before you sail. I also took it the day I THOUGHT we were going to sail. I mistakenly took it on an empty stomach and was ready for a nap!! AHAHAH! Good thing I realized that now! The day before, I took it with breakfast and felt no adverse effects.

BUT - I hope not to get seasick either.....when we FINALLY sail!! ;-)

Bonine is great!! We take it before deep sea fishing trips. Hope you have a great first Cruise!! We got some great pictures of the dream in the beginning of the month. Wish I knew how to upload pics to this site lol

New question-sea sickness. I had struggled with car sickness all my life-typically having to ride in the front or drive as I got older. Funny, after my Lasic eye surgery in 2004 and change in hormones in 2007(TMI), the car sickness has greatly diminished, oddly enough. Weird. I can now even read in the car if the road isn't to windy. Even weirder. (on the hormone issue-I have read there is some correlation between migraine headaches and motion sickness...who knew...) So, naturally I'm very concerned about sea sickness. Your experiences??

You should try Reliefband. Very effective. Check it out:

http://www.reliefband.com/

My wife had a problem with motion sickness on our first cruise.

Sorry to say, but the ship does move! I told her when we were on open decks NOT to look down at the waves but across, towards the horizon. The sensation of the ship's motion was cut by 80%.

I hope this helps!;)

My sister uses the wrist bands and has drowsy and non drowsy Dramamine on hand. If she can cruise anyone can cruise. She has low tolerance to drugs. Yes ginger works too. Excedrin migraine is my best friend. Cures all migraines in less than 20 min due to hormones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

... And also to start taking it the day before the cruise and even the day after to settle until you have your "land legs" back........have you heard any of this?

After our first cruise I had the problem with land sickness (never sea sickness) for nearly 2 weeks. So yes, I have heard of it. From what I gather it seems to hit those that don't get sea sick harder than those that do. Be prepared.

I no longer get motion sickness from riding in a car...unless circumstances are just right (wrong?), like too hot PLUS sitting in the back seat PLUS already having a headache, etc.

BUT both my hubby (who hasn't really ever experienced motion sickness) and I take preventative 24 hour Bonine (whatever the generic is) starting early on the day of the cruise (don't wait until you're feeling ill!). He might take it for a second day or if the seas are particularly rocky (if I remind him) just in case. I'll take it for a couple of days and then if we're anticipating a twisty-turny bus ride, potentially rocky tender, or small-boat ride on an excursion. On smooth seas, I probably wouldn't have a problem at all, but I don't want to chance it.

Real candied Ginger, nothing works better.