Ha'Haak Paddleboarding

Bruinwar

Cozumel is our last port on our cruise arriving 01/26/2017. We've decided to spend a beach day & do some stand up paddleboarding. Does anyone have any experience with Ha'Haak Paddleboarding? This is our first cruise btw, but I assume I find a cab to take us to Mr. Santos. I plan to reserve the boards soon so we have the boards for the day. We don't need any lessons but we might be interested in a tour.

Does anyone happen to know what kind of boards they have? Are they the heaving plastic molded (cheap) kind or the lighter, professional style boards?

Does anyone think there is a better place in Cozumel for SUP'n?

Thanks,

Joe

Ha' Haak has it's own website (supcozumel.com) with a gallery and you can email them, assuming you're looking at their operation off the Mr Sanchos site. I believe they are connected to or run the tour from the around the downtown pier which goes north and might be a little more interesting. From all I've seen, and it's not a lot, they have the franchise, or have been around longer than most. But I'd be surprised if some of the surf shops didn't rent them out . Ron Jons and Island Outfitters have stores on the island.

Thanks crewsweeper. Yep I've been on their website & I've exchanged a few emails. Looks promising. The last message I did ask what kind of boards they have & I'm waiting for a response. If they let me know I will post the info here.

-joe

OK! They use BIC stand up paddleboards! 11'4" DURA-TEC ORIGINALs, excellent entry level boards. I will be sure to post a review after the trip.

Now do I go rent a car since it's seems to be a minimum of $20 each way for a taxi?! We could SUP in the morning & be free to do whatever in the afternoon if we have our own transportation. Dang I am getting excited about this trip!

My advice on renting a car is to have a designated driver. No drinking alcohol for that person. And take all the Mexican auto insurance the agency offers.

You'll probably be fine but never know. There's always someone else on the road not paying attention.

Thus you'd be better off, safer, taking the taxi route. Even if you need to pay more to head somewhere else. Fares are regulated by zone.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, we ended up renting scooters! They worked out well other than when we came back to the port to return them. Driving through the city was quite stressful. $30 per scooter. We would have gone though $60 in taxi fare & not had the freedom. We were about to drive around the island!

OK Ha'Haak Paddleboarding. Mr Sanchos was full, totally booked up with all-inclusives (which we really did not want) & they gave us a bit of a hard time getting in. They contacted Rene Gonzalez & they let us in (but we were told we would have to leave once we were done SUP'n). However, Rene welcomed us profusly & had a chat with the management & told us we were welcome to stay. Mr Sanchos is actually very nice, if you like a all inclusive beach day.

Due to the wind, his wife & Juan took us on a "downwinder" tour. Obviously this means headed downwind for a few miles, then Rene was there waiting to pick us up. Very cool way to SUP with a strong steady wind.

We did not need lessons but we still got tips. They are obviously way more experienced that us (they didn't fall in). I did well for over half the trip until some waves coming from multiple directions got me. Then I fell off 3 more times in succession. But the water was nice, totally clear to the bottom, & it was an excellent trip.

I highly recommend Ha'Haak Stand Up Paddleboarding on Cozumel.

Regards,

Joe

• 1 year later...

Ha-Haak is so awesome!  I took a paddleboarding lesson today there (at the Ha-Haak location at Mr. Sanchos Beach Clubin Cozumel) and LOVED it.  The owners, Rene and Gina, are quite simply the nicest people on earth.  They gave me all the information I needed to stand up on the board and paddle like a champ (I’m 67 years old!).  This is absolutely the most fun thing I did on my cruise.  They run a terrific little company and they really want you to succeed.  They paddled along with me for the whole hour, which was great, as we had nice conversation in addition to the good instruction.  I loved every minute.  Go for it!!!

Edited by geranium51