Where are U staying in I'bul pre-cruise(s)?

cruisin'cats

Can't give you first hand knowledge since my first visit was a one day port of call in 2003. But I have booked the Hotel Nena in Sultanahmet for next April based on many favorable reviews I've read on CC & Trip Advisor boards. The price was right; website makes it look charming in an old world sort of way. The people I've corresponded with by e-mail have been very nice. If anyone reading this thread has knowledge of the Hotel Nena, I'd love to hear. Good luck with your search. :)

Staying at the sari konik for a few nights. Like the rooftop layout and look forward to a few glasses of vino while listening to evening prayers....after a great bath, of course, and hoping for new skin growth!

HAVE YOU STAY AT THE HOTEL BEFORE..WE ARE BOOKED IN IT FOR THE SEPT26-27TH 06...WHYME71842@AOL.COM

There are at least two posts on Nena on http://www.Fodors.com/forums under Talk.

Enter 'Europe' then 'Istanbul Hotels Nena' to read several reviews from fellow travelers. One person who was staying at the Four Seasons, said their friends were nearby at Nena, and were quite pleased with it. That post is entitled "Turkey trip report: Istanbul and car trip to Aegean region"

There is also a very funny post called "Turkey in the Straw: Thingorjus sleeps in Istanbul" which is worth a read.

:rolleyes: I just booked the Alzer Hotel in Istanbul's Sulthamet neighborhood for our 2-day post cruise stay, June 20-22. I was looking for something not too $$ and not too big, something with the Ottoman flavor. This one looks quite nice, great looking breakfast buffet and pretty roof top restaurant. It has lots of amenities listed including WYFI internet access. Has anyone stayed there or know anything about the Alzer?

We also booked a hotel in Civitavecchia for our one night pre cruise stay. I think we will book a limo from the airport to the port on June 7th rather than going into Rome for the night. If anyone is interested in sharing the limo ride, please let me know.

I have posted this information before, but given the possiblity of new readers:

One of the best areas to stay in Istanbul is in the Suhltanahmet (forgive the spelling, by the way). There are 3 hotels that I am aware of in that area and probalby many more. All are within walking distance, meaning only a couple of blocks, of the Tokpaki Museum. You can also walk from them to the Spice and Grand Bazaars, the Blue mosque and, in fact, most of the "key" sites in Istanbul. The 3 are:

Four Seasons

Yesil Ev

Ayasophia

I stayed at the Yesil Ev, a former Pasha's palace. It is recommended by Conde Nast both as a hotel and place for dinner. It is far, far more reasonable than the 4 Seasons. It is so much more convenient that the Ciragin Palace or anything in Taksim that it's makes no sense to me to stay anywhere but in that area.

Two other thoughts:

The Military Museum, a taxi ride away, is a fascinating look into Turkey's historical wars with Greece and the luxurious tents of the Pashas. At 3 PM on most days the Turkish Military Band performs in the auditorium. Nice experience.

For a memorable dinner:

Hanedan, located North of the Ciragin Palace at a ferry stop, maybe it's Betisoy or someting like that. Two floors, ground is meat and fish upstairs. We liked the meat better, and the bread, wow, and the trays of appetizers to pick from, more wow.

Enjoy, I envy all of you. And enjoy the sesame large bagel type breads offered on the streets everywhere. Totally delicious and at the time they were 16 cents each.

Oh and one fair warning: be ware of someone practicing their English, who just might have a cousin in the rug business.

My Husband And I Are Booked On The April 23rd. Sailing On Oceania From Istanbul To Venice. We Spent Hours On The Internet Viewing Different Hotels. We Decided To Go Cultural And Stay At The Hotel Uyan. It Is In The Sultanahmet Section Of Town... 10 Minutes Walk To The Grand Bazaar. The Delux Honeymoon Suite Is Costing Us $175. U.s. A Night Check Out Their Website.. The Hotel Has A Lot To Offer And Is Within Walking Distance To Everything You Would Want To See.

About Oceania. This Will Be Our 10th Cruise, And 2nd With Oceania. So Far We Think It Is The Best. No More Big Ships For Us. We Love The Smaller Ship. Great Service, Wonderful Food. You Really Have A Chance To Meet More People.

Any Questions More About Oceania I Will Gladly Reply.

Jackie

Sorry I have not replied to your request earlier, but had to travel for Thanksgiving with family. No, I have not stayed at this hotel. Just found information to my liking from various boards and by communicating with this hotel have found them polite, friendly, and rsponsive. so the mysteries of travel surface and the answers await to our curiosities..sometimes delightfully so:eek: :eek:

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Four Seasons for 4 nights last spring and LOVED IT!! My only warning is not to make long distance calls from your room. We were there after a cruise and called home several times thinking it would so much cheaper than on the ship and were shocked when we got the bill. Otherwise it is fabulous. It used to be a prison (Midnight Express) and the location is wonderful. They have a roof top terrace that has great views. Hope this helps.

Archived