Is Velvet ok?

LNOTcruisers

I was cruising the boards trying to find out how many formal nights I could expect on an 8 night cruise when I came across this thread. I have just spent the afternoon trying on clothes I am thinking of taking on our cruise this Jan. Sure enough, I have a pair of velvour pants with a beautiful stretchy velour top -- I modelled it for my (very patient) DH and asked what he thought about it for an Elegant Casual evening. He said I looked great and it would be perfect. That's all I needed to hear; it confirmed my opinion and supported my desire to take the outfit on the cruise.

I truly wish the cruise line would let you know in advance which nights would be Casual, Elegant Casual and Formal and how many of each.

I am planning on taking a pair of dress slacks with two different tops - this will cover the first and last nights. One Formal Gown. One lightweight sleeveless dress with matching jacket which I can wear barelegged on a casual night. A two piece outfit (Carole Little Sport) skirt and v-neck top for a casual night. Another Carole Little outfit - three pieces for an elegant casual night. Two of the outfits will be worn twice - which ones depends on what type of nights - EC or Casual or Formal.

Maybe, just maybe, I will throw in a long, sleeveless black dress and a shrug or shawl to round out the mix a little better.

The beauty of this mix is that I only need three pair of shoes and NO PANTYHOSE!

Comments and advice more than welcome especially if anyone knows how many nights of each type there are during an 8 night cruise.

Cheers and Happy Cruising to All.

I truly wish the cruise line would let you know in advance which nights would be Casual, Elegant Casual and Formal and how many of each.

This is not in the brochure or information that you can get from your TA?That seems odd to me. How would people know what to pack?Every cruise we've ever been on has told us how many formal nights, etc. we could expect on our cruise. We've been on Oceania, HAL, Princess and Celebrity.Happy Cruising!Jane

Hi there Tomko, I'm going on my first 7 day cruise I normally do 10 to 15 day cruises and we have two formal nights, two semi formal nights and three casual nights. As for what nights are what I am not sure, except I do know that casual is first and last nights.

Maybe that helps; if not check out the website of your cruise line and look under the heading "What to pack" it should give you the details.

I did hear that if you are somewhat shy you can wear a velvet thong. But it must match. :p

I just had to edit this post and let you all know I'm am still laughing.

I guess I won't go on one of those cruises-"haters" would surely be laughing at me but certainly not out of jealousy.

I definetly believe in the "art of cameflauge" and for me that means clothing.

I can't believe you ladies are arguing about VELVET!! I am a very fashion-conscious 30 year old woman, very trendy, and let me tell you, if you feel happy in your velvet, wear it.

If the 20 year old in the coral belly shirt showing her boobs felt confortable, more power to her, she probably looked great and had many people jealous that they could not pull it off.

From what I have learned on these boards and life in general, usually when people talk about you, it's because you have the ovaries to wear/say/do what they can only dream of wearing/saying/doing. It's called hating, don't do it, it's not pretty!!!

To the OP-wear your velvet, have a great time doing it, I am sure you will look lovely-don't let these haters get you down!!

What I have noticed is people with VERY STRONG OPINIONS and who like me, SPEND TOO MUCH TIME ON THESE BOARDS (yes I admit my guilt there -2000 plus posts prove it) tend to irritate each other. I can understand poor Rena because I and that other person have sparred a few times too and it seemed everyone on this board saw me as the "bad guy"- people said I was jealous of her-I felt that was not fair of them-I accepted I was partly wrong but as we all know no one is completely in the "right" or "wrong." The other person was not without fault.

I also feel we are from all parts of the US and so our wording and expressions are differant-we may think we are being tactful-where as someone else does not see it that way. I guess sometimes we just need to "chill" and realize when we have strong opinions that not everyone is going to like us-which really is no big deal-this is a messageboard and most of us will never meet in person.

But I agree with most posts here. Velvet is just a silly thing to argue about-especially when ther are things like the war in Iraq, terrorism, tusamis, hurricanes like Katrina, horrible earthquakes etc.

I have decided I will never give my opinion on velvet again (and some other subjects also)-so you guys will have to pull up old threads if you are stupid enough to be interested in my opinion.

Have a good day gals.

But I agree with most posts here. Velvet is just a silly thing to argue about-especially when ther are things like the war in Iraq, terrorism, tusamis, hurricanes like Katrina, horrible earthquakes etc.

I have decided I will never give my opinion on velvet again (and some other subjects also)-so you guys will have to pull up old threads if you are stupid enough to be interested in my opinion.

Have a good day gals.

This is a fashion board and one where we choose to come and spend time on fun (for the most part) discussions. There are some on this board who take this to extremes (I find the "hater" comment by ElvisandTracey to be ridiculous personally) but most do not. I have met some very nice ladies on these boards.

The state of the world we live in is a totally different subject.

I guess I won't go on one of those cruises-"haters" would surely be laughing at me but certainly not out of jealousy.

I definetly believe in the "art of cameflauge" and for me that means clothing.

momofmeg, I'm confused as to why you quoted my post and I'm confused by your response. Could you please explain? I'm not trying to start any thing. Just wondering...

J.:confused:

This is a fashion board and one where we choose to come and spend time on fun (for the most part) discussions. There are some on this board who take this to extremes (I find the "hater" comment by ElvisandTracey to be ridiculous personally) but most do not. I have met some very nice ladies on these boards.

Again, "hating" has nothing to do with hatred, maybe you should re-read my explanation on the term-it just means jealousy, or one wishing they had the nerve to have /do/say/wear what others have/do/say/wear.

It's a cultural thing-maybe it's not you, but certainly not ridiculous!!! There are haters everywhere, they just tend not to admit it-the last thing a hater does it admit to hating.

You either get it, or ya don't.:p

What I have noticed is people with VERY STRONG OPINIONS and who like me, SPEND TOO MUCH TIME ON THESE BOARDS (yes I admit my guilt there -2000 plus posts prove it) tend to irritate each other. I can understand poor Rena because I and that other person have sparred a few times too and it seemed everyone on this board saw me as the "bad guy"- people said I was jealous of her-I felt that was not fair of them-I accepted I was partly wrong but as we all know no one is completely in the "right" or "wrong." The other person was not without fault.

I also feel we are from all parts of the US and so our wording and expressions are differant-we may think we are being tactful-where as someone else does not see it that way. I guess sometimes we just need to "chill" and realize when we have strong opinions that not everyone is going to like us-which really is no big deal-this is a messageboard and most of us will never meet in person.

Have a good day gals.

I am totally confused as to why you quoted me here-is this post referring to me?? I have never "sparred" with you to my knowledge, nor has anyone said you were "jealous" of me, to my knowledge, so why quote me? Guess I'm, clueless-oh well.

By the by, how can you be accused of being jealous of someone on these boards whom you don't know, can't see, and know nothing about?? What is there to be jealous of??

I realize that hon. I come here for light entertainment- so I can think about something besides my bad health- and this board is much more enjoyable then turning on headline news-a big relief from the outside world and all the horrible things going on. That was what I meant. I DO know the differance.

I have learned alot here EVEN from you beleive it or not.

I guess what I was TRYING to say is that there are enough bad things going on around us. I NEED the light entertainment HERE and not world war III over the stupid wearing of velvet.

But I guess folks can see what I mean-no matter what I say somehow to a certain few regulars on this board I am a "bad guy". there is only one or 2 regular posters here that is even decent to me. ( I guess it is not caviergal and her chums is it?)

momofmeg, I'm confused as to why you quoted my post and I'm confused by your response. Could you please explain? I'm not trying to start any thing. Just wondering...

J.:confused:

My wacky sense of humor I guess- the term "haters" were used and that "haters" were "jealous" of others. I was try to crack a joke lighten things up in that people would "hate" to see me nude but it would have nothing to do with jealousy.

I really don't think hate has much to do with jealous-usually ones I dislike-there is no way I want to emulate them-but not necessarily true of someone I am jealous of. I do feel we could be jealous of a person who is very proudful and braggy and we might hate that about them.

I am totally confused as to why you quoted me here-is this post referring to me?? I have never "sparred" with you to my knowledge, nor has anyone said you were "jealous" of me, to my knowledge, so why quote me? Guess I'm, clueless-oh well.

By the by, how can you be accused of being jealous of someone on these boards whom you don't know, can't see, and know nothing about?? What is there to be jealous of??

No not you at all-a certain someone and I sparred a few months back-I won't name names and to be honest the whole thread disapeered-after this person posted something very nasty and hateful to me-later a couple of her buddies did too-I did not post anything back to her or them once it got ugly-I did not want to add to that-but I did continue to read all the stuff said to me- a few days later I came back to see if any more ill was posted to me and it was like- poof- like magic-the whole thread had disapeered.

Anyway they have done their best to run me off-but I am just stubburn enough to keep posting. Most ignore me now though.

As far as me being accused of being jealous of someone-I would have to tell you a bunch of stuff that was said to me and what I had said to start that and I would rather not-it would be World War IV if I did.

But I guess folks can see what I mean-no matter what I say somehow to a certain few regulars on this board I am a "bad guy". there is only one or 2 regular posters here that is even decent to me. ( I guess it is not caviergal and her chums is it?)

momofmeg,

I hope that you consider me to be among those that are "decent" to you as I always try to be non-controversial when visiting this board (or any others that I frequent). I totally agree that it is a place to get away from the regular woes of the world and/or our personal lives.

I completely saw the point in your post about that and I didn't interpret caviargal's reply otherwise. I think she was just trying to clarify her opinion? Obviously, I don't know what is inside another person's brain, but I'd like to encourage you, in the spirit of friendship, to try to see it from that angle.

I had to go back and read my post and your post that I quoted. Actually I thought you said it very well how silly all the sparring about velvet was. That is why I quoted you-I agreed on that-the other stuff I said were about some of the other posts-I am sorry- I guess that is why I step on toes so much-I just don't clarify myself.

It is sort've like my joke on "haters" I got your point on haters-I was just trying to make a joke people would "hate" to see me nude and it certainly would not be jealousy. (another post I made- I was combining one post talking about haters and another joking about nude cruises and no velvet.)

To Landlocked in Arizona-no as far as I know you have never been ugly to me. I was not refering to you-the people who dislike me know who they are. (and no I don't think they are jealous of me-they just dislike me)

I had to go back and read my post and your post that I quoted. Actually I thought you said it very well how silly all the sparring about velvet was. That is why I quoted you-I agreed on that-the other stuff I said were about some of the other posts-I am sorry- I guess that is why I step on toes so much-I just don't clarify myself.

It is sort've like my joke on "haters" I got your point on haters-I was just trying to make a joke people would "hate" to see me nude and it certainly would not be jealousy. (another post I made- I was combining one post talking about haters and another joking about nude cruises and no velvet.)

To Landlocked in Arizona-no as far as I know you have never been ugly to me. I was not refering to you-the people who dislike me know who they are. (and no I don't think they are jealous of me-they just dislike me)

Understood!:) I just think it's amusing that I made that comment about haters 3 or 4 weeks ago and people are still talking about it-it really was just a comment in passing, didn't know it would stir up so much conversation!!

In Los Angeles, the term "hater" is used daily, by me (30's) my DS (9) and many of all ages in between, above and below. The term is on tv, movies, song lyrics and commercials-I had no idea that so many would find it so cutting edge! The term has been around for years.

I totally agree that it is a place to get away from the regular woes of the world and/or our personal lives.

I completely saw the point in your post about that and I didn't interpret caviargal's reply otherwise. I think she was just trying to clarify her opinion? Obviously, I don't know what is inside another person's brain, but I'd like to encourage you, in the spirit of friendship, to try to see it from that angle.

That was my point, LandLockedInAz, thank you, that this board is a place to come to have some enjoyment, and to get away from the sometimes sorry world we inhabit. I did not interpret the velvet discussion to be a war, as this board is in general more pleasant than others, IMHO. And, I don't care for negative words like "haters". I am quite certain that even if I lived in LA, I would not use it, no matter how common its use might be.

momofmeg and I seem to have often have differing opinions and my words are sometimes construed differently than intended.

Understood!:) I just think it's amusing that I made that comment about haters 3 or 4 weeks ago and people are still talking about it-it really was just a comment in passing, didn't know it would stir up so much conversation!!

In Los Angeles, the term "hater" is used daily, by me (30's) my DS (9) and many of all ages in between, above and below. The term is on tv, movies, song lyrics and commercials-I had no idea that so many would find it so cutting edge! The term has been around for years.

Well I found humor in it and I did not find the term offensive though maybe it is "politicially incorrect"- i am not sure- we could just stick to "green with envy" I guess.

I did not read this thread until yesterday-I have been passing up all the "velvet" threads-too much bickering on them-and who knows why I clicked on it yesterday. Maybe it would have been better if I hadn't.

I'm with Caviargirl on this, I would not use the term "haters". Actually until it was mentioned here I had never heard it, not on TV, or read it in a magazine or book. That was a new one to me. No one I know has ever used it either or I would remember because I would have asked.

I don't see how "haters" equates to "green with envy" or "jealousy", I simply would not use it because it could be too easily misunderstood by too many.

That was my point, LandLockedInAz, thank you, that this board is a place to come to have some enjoyment, and to get away from the sometimes sorry world we inhabit. I did not interpret the velvet discussion to be a war, as this board is in general more pleasant than others, IMHO. And, I don't care for negative words like "haters". I am quite certain that even if I lived in LA, I would not use it, no matter how common its use might be.

momofmeg and I seem to have often have differing opinions and my words are sometimes construed differently than intended.

Regarding the term hater-like I said you either get it or you don't-

it isn't negative-it's like a joke between friends-if 2 girls are friends, and they go out to a club and a dude buys one girl a drink, but not the other, the non-drink girl tells the drink girl that the drink-buyer dude is ugly-he may be ugly, may be Brad Pitt, the point is that the non-drink girl only said he was ugly because he didn't buy her a drink like her friend.

drink girl calles non-drink girl a "hater"-she's hating because she didn't get a free drink. They are still tight, still friends, just a momentary example of hating-I don't even drink, but that is the first example that popped into my head.

It isn't mean, it isn't hateful or negative-it is a playful term usually between family or friends-I called my DH a hater last night because I was winning in a game and he purposefully tried to mess me up so he could pull ahead-he was hating!!!

Give it a rest:eek:

Archived