Picked Up Tickets Today - Not Very Happy.

Burney555

Good day turned Bad!!!!

We are on the spirit 11/27 with 3 days in New York prior to our cruise.

We booked everything through NCL (Flights / Accomodation / Cruise ). Our original booking was 'the Helmsley' (42nd Street) but when collecting our tickets our hotel has been changed to the 'Holiday Inn - Midtown' (57th Street). I take it I am right in not being happy with this as we have made all our plans and I feel that we have been dumped on.

My TA is dealing with it just now but came back and said there is nothing they can do........

What should I do?

Did you ever consider booking yourself?? I see posts all of the time complaining of air arrangements for example...The only way to guarantee what you really want is to book yourself which usually will save you ALOT of money as well. Sorry for your misfortune, just remember it's vacation!!!

frymand is correct: the cruise lines normally will have a couple of hotel choices and offer one air schedule. It is a clean and easy way to book; using the entire package offered by the cruise line (this applies to all cruiselines by the way) but if you really have specific requests you need to have your agent book everything separately. Don't let this bother you too much, go on your vacation, the hotel may be wonderful and the location is good. Enjoy NY City and have a wonderful cruise. NMnita

If it makes you feel any better about the situation, in my opinion (I travel to NYC frequently) that particular Holiday Inn is a much nicer property than the Helmsley. The location is Midtown and within walking distance to a lot of touristy things.

If it makes you feel any better about the situation, in my opinion (I travel to NYC frequently) that particular Holiday Inn is a much nicer property than the Helmsley. The location is Midtown and within walking distance to a lot of touristy things.

From Yahoo Travel

Holiday Inn

Hotel Class: ***

User Rating: ****

Helmsley

Hotel Class: ***

User Rating: ***

We were relocated from the RAdisson Hotel, because they did not keep my reseveration. So, my wife and I aaccidently lived in Helmsley Middletowne Hotel for just one night.

The Hotel is old, but at leaset it is clean. The clerk at the desk was friendly. The location is great. It's about three blocks from the Subway. If we want to save some budget, we may come back.

I lived in Manhattan and I would much rather be at the 57th street location. You are very close to Central park. You can walk to the upper west side from there, you could walk to times square. You can walk to all the nice shops on 5th ave (which are in the 50s). Times square is fun but your location on 57th street is very centrally located. You are a short walk from many, many things. There are subways there and you can always take a cab.

Don't sweat it. You will be in NYC, one of the greatest cities in the world. You are in a great location. Both hotels are 3 stars. Have fun.

Yes we got very good flights, we are the same - Aberdeen to Heathrow to JFK with no big waiting time at Heathrow.

Just a wee bit dissapointed in the fact that NCL knew that we would not be in that hotel over 1 year ago (Admitted that on the telephone) but did not advise us, especially when we have spent all year making plans in the area we were staying.

And also offering us no alternatives. either lump it or like it!!!!

Burney555,

This is my first time posting because I actually just joined this site because my girlfriend started working for NCL about 9 months ago and we have finally booked a cruise and just to let you know NCL only offers 2 hotels in New York: Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers and the Holiday Inn Midtown 57th

so their is no way that your T/A booked that hotel through NCL so something weird is going on with that and this is definetly the correct info because it is straight from the girlfriends mouth.

Just wanted to share that info.

Thanks

Burney555,

This is my first time posting because I actually just joined this site because my girlfriend started working for NCL about 9 months ago and we have finally booked a cruise and just to let you know NCL only offers 2 hotels in New York: Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers and the Holiday Inn Midtown 57th

so their is no way that your T/A booked that hotel through NCL so something weird is going on with that and this is definetly the correct info because it is straight from the girlfriends mouth.

Thanks

that may be the case today but I believe the OP booked this trip before your GF even worked for NCL. NCL UK works in strange and mysterious ways. I recall other posting they had been subjected to the same change in hotels.

As pointed out had this change been communicated months ago it would have been a bump in the road not a last minute shock.

Burney555,

Thanks

The NY Helmsley was the only hotel offered in the 2005 NCL UK brochure. The cruise is sold as a 7 night cruise with 3 nights pre-cruise in the Helmsley. I do remember a previous post in about May (I think it was Goldryder) complaining that the hotel had been switched without any consultation. We booked in March and that was the hotel being used at the time.

To be honest, although the Helmsley was very nice, I didn't find it anything special but did find it expensive, $6 for a half pint of beer and $18 for a rather limited buffet breakfast with coffee extra.

The location was average, looks good on 42 St, next to Grand Central opposite the Chrysler, but quite honestly there is so much in NYC that I think everywhere is going to have good points in its favour.

Don't know about the Holiday Inn at 57th but from what I remember around that area, it seemed good, Isn't it up near Carnegie Hall/ Lincoln centre where all the deli type restaurants are?

We bought tickets for the Tourist buses and travelled all over on them.

I am sure that you will have a great time any way, but it does seem typical of NCL customer service .

We booked everything through NCL (Flights / Accomodation / Cruise ). Our original booking was 'the Helmsley' (42nd Street) but when collecting our tickets our hotel has been changed to the 'Holiday Inn - Midtown' (57th Street). I take it I am right in not being happy with this as we have made all our plans and I feel that we have been dumped on.

We are looking into a pre stay in March. We were informed by our TA that NCL may not be renewing the contract with the Helmsley in the fall. I guess now we know.

It looks like we are going to stay at the Holiday Inn now. Seems like a great location. All I need is a bed to sleep in. NYC is the destination, not the hotel!

Shoreguy got it in one!!!!

When you go all year planning round the NY Helmsley only to find you are not staying there it is a big shock, especially with 2 weeks to go. It may not seem too bad now but when we checked our tickets our hearts sank into our boots.

Dopeey - I can assure you that when we booked our reservation was at the NY Helmsley. I have NCL's invoice which states very clearly that our booking is at this hotel. It was maybe just a NCL U.K. option???:confused:

When you go all year planning round the NY Helmsley only to find you are not staying there it is a big shock, especially with 2 weeks to go. It may not seem too bad now but when we checked our tickets our hearts sank into our boots.:

Burney you are certainly justified in feeling like you got the old bait & switch routine regardless of the "business as usual" explanations or whatever. Guess it can happen on any cruiseline but certainly doesn't surprise me from NCL.

When one hits the 3 weeks and counting mark, abrupt changes out of our control are so unnerving. :eek:

Hoping it doesn't take away from your time in NY -I'm sure fellow CCers will help you recanoiter plans in area you are now staying.

Wishing you the best of times in the big city pre-cruise and looking forward to hearing all about in onboard the Spirit! :)

Tina

I wish you the best. Rather than doing the most that is reasonably possible, NCL pretty much does the least they can to maintain contractual correctness. I called today to NCL and they were beyond rude. We are considering cancelling and getting our 50%.
so you called and thought they were rude today and now you are thinking of cancelling and losing 50%; isn't that cutting off your nose to spit your face. I have had great luck with their customer service, but I know many have had problems; read the latest gripes about RCI and Celebrity. They all ring similar. Maybe it isn't just the businesses, maybe we all mistake rude for very busy or maybe we are demanding and that creates a defensive attitude on the other end. Whatever, the service on shore and on the ship is often different. NMNita

I think it is important to remember brochures are printed a year or more in advance so not always is the information 100% correct. NMnita

Brochures are printied a year or more in advance and so that makes it impossible for NCL to contact the customer in the intervening time and inform them that the plans have changed?

You know, I feel sure that if the customers payment had run into problems, NCL would have found a way to get in touch with them, but somehow, when it is something that only affects the customer and not NCL's bottom line, it just seems to be too difficult to inform the paying passenger.:rolleyes:

Archived