Picked Up Tickets Today - Not Very Happy.

Burney555

Brochures are printied a year or more in advance and so that makes it impossible for NCL to contact the customer in the intervening time and inform them that the plans have changed?

You know, I feel sure that if the customers payment had run into problems, NCL would have found a way to get in touch with them, but somehow, when it is something that only affects the customer and not NCL's bottom line, it just seems to be too difficult to inform the paying passenger.:rolleyes:

yes abd maybe all the lines should do this but they do not. A good TA will let a client know if there is a port change or other changes that could result in a change in plans for their client: if someone chooses to book on their own, which I do understand they may end up not being informed of changes in a timely manner. The problem here is whether or not the holiday Inn is up to the same class as Hensley, I don't live in NY, but I do knwo Hemsley is not what it was in the lady's day: I also know some Holiday Inns are very acceptable. should the OP been informed, maybe, but it isn't an issue that should cause anyone to go into orbit. Something else I just remembered, lately, whenever I book client on a tour including hotel, regardless of the line I am informed the hotel could be one of two. This way the cruise line is protecting thier butts. NMnita

I wish you the best. Rather than doing the most that is reasonably possible, NCL pretty much does the least they can to maintain contractual correctness. I called today to NCL and they were beyond rude. We are considering cancelling and getting our 50%.

I am sorry they treated you that way could you explain how they treated you. Thanks..

The 2006-2007 NCL book lists the Holiday Inn and the Crown Plaza as the only two New York hotels used in their pre and post cruise plans.

Also, not sure if this has anything to do with the Helmsley Hotel but the Helmsley building was sold this week for something like 705 million so the previous owners probably didn't want to enter in any partnerhips knowing that they would be selling.

Isn't the bottom line that you are going on a nice cruise ?? Sh*t happens, but I wouldn't let the three day hotel stay before the cruise, make you cancel the cruise.

Mark

I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

We purchased this vacation as a package. i.e. I am looking forward to the 3 day's in NY just as much as my cruise (If not more). The reason we opted for 'this cruise' is because of the pre cruise visit to NYC.

Fair enough, I would not cancel because of this, but it was the unfair way that NCL treated us that made me angry. To have made my booking over a year ago and have confirmations that confirm my hotel reservations, only to pick up my tickets and find out that my vacation had changed without any pre warning made me a little bit angry. Especially when our TA find's out that they knew about this 3 weeks after my booking!!!!!!!

We purchased this vacation as a package. i.e. I am looking forward to the 3 day's in NY just as much as my cruise (If not more). The reason we opted for 'this cruise' is because of the pre cruise visit to NYC.

Fair enough, I would not cancel because of this, but it was the unfair way that NCL treated us that made me angry. To have made my booking over a year ago and have confirmations that confirm my hotel reservations, only to pick up my tickets and find out that my vacation had changed without any pre warning made me a little bit angry. Especially when our TA find's out that they knew about this 3 weeks after my booking!!!!!!!

I totally agree and understand how you must be feeling. You are not being given what you were expecting.

We too, decided we wanted to sail out of New York and have a good look around NYC, which we had never seen before. The actual cruise was secondary. We did the Florida/ Nassau cruise but as we have been to Orlando five times, had done several cruises including NCL and also to the Carribean before, we really knew exactly what to expect. Especially with all the helpful info available on CC.

The "different" thing was the New York element and this was the highlight, the thing to really look forward to.

After we booked it, we started to do the research and despite what I put in my previous post, The Helmsley became my expectation. We researched the facilities, the location, neraby attractions and started planning what we would do.

When I saw on the other thread that it had been switched, I was immensely relieved that it would not affect us.

If they had switched us to the Waldorf, I would have made comparisons before deciding whether I was satisfied. I had booked the Helmesly and that was what I wanted.

It is not what you have been promised and have been looking forward to and even if it is of comparable quality, you have every right to be aggrieved, especially as they have not had the courtesy to inform you that they are not going to provide the accomodation that they agreed to on your booking.

I really do hope that you have a brilliant time. If you have never been to NYC................well, it's different.

I loved it and would love to go back no matter which hotel they put me in

Yeah I caused rude and I am also to dumb to decifer rude. Thanks Nita.

I wasn't trying to pick on you, why get defensive? I simply was pointing out a fact: all of us, from time to time, misunderstand rudeness for being busy or we are upset so think everyone else is causing the problems. I was dealing with a cruise line this past week; being very busy, but normally pretty easy going, I needed a fax sent asap! The first agent I spoke with did not have a good command of the English language. When I got off the phone I made the remark "boy was she rude" It probably was the language issue and me, not her. I called a second time, after being on hold for nearly 10 minutes I did speak with someone who rushed me off the phone. Twice I felt misunderstood and mistreated: I reflected later in the day and realized it was a combination of things, not necessarily the person on the phone: my point. BTW, I had to request the fax a third time, the following day. NMNita

NYC is so dynamic that you would not have time to enjoy the hotel even if it were a five star hotel. You will be on the go and only there to rest and regroup. Actually, from a shopping and eating standpoint, 57th street is a much better location as Times Square area can be a bit seedy. Just go and enjoy-its just a simple hotel and should be clean. :)

The hotel had been kind of run down and definitely not the Palace of the past. We travel to NYC several times a year and I would much rather be in that area - all the famous high end stores and wonderful restaurants are there. Also, it will be easier to take a stroll in Central Park, etc. Trust me, you are in a better position now. Having said that, I am sympathetic to your plight of not being informed and feeling jerked around by NCL. Thats definitely not right but at least it worked out in your favor. :)

Burney555:

Do have a wonderful time on your trip and cruise.

Hopefully you have gotten over the initial shock - and I do agree that this was not an easy thing to deal with.

But, please don't let it take a bit of the pleasure out of your trip.

Enjoy New York - and what ever hotel you are in.

You surely will have a wonderful time -

Make the most of this trip - it sounds so wonderful!

I am a little curious. Did your TA not have any contact with NCL during the time between your initial deposit, and the receipt of your tickets? Having not used a brick and mortar TA myself, I am just wondering how this works.

Enjoy this cruise and your pre cruise time in New York!!:)

Hey guy's, thanks for the support:) ,

NCL must recognise that they have done wrong as they have granted us on-board credit on our cruise. I know the Holiday Inn will be just as good (If not better) than the Helmsley, but it was the way in which they carried out the deed that angered me.

It's good to see that on this board you get a balanced opinion. I mean it wouldn't be the same if everyone had the same view's.

I hope I can help my fellow CC'ers as much as you have helped me.

P.S. - I will be leaving a review on the HI, NY as well as my cruise, which I hope will be useful to someone!!

Hey guy's, thanks for the support:) ,

NCL must recognise that they have done wrong as they have granted us on-board credit on our cruise. I know the Holiday Inn will be just as good (If not better) than the Helmsley, but it was the way in which they carried out the deed that angered me.

It's good to see that on this board you get a balanced opinion. I mean it wouldn't be the same if everyone had the same view's.

I hope I can help my fellow CC'ers as much as you have helped me.

P.S. - I will be leaving a review on the HI, NY as well as my cruise, which I hope will be useful to someone!!

ahve a great time and be sure to give us a complete review: we look forward to hearing from you. Glad they gave you something. NMnita

I agree with you in that you have every right to be pissed off. And they did not handle it right. I think when you book the hotel thru them they state that they can switch hotels for whatever reason, for that reason alone I would never leave it up to them to book my hotel room. I'm very picky in what I want in a hotel room, I want a nice suite, so I book my own hotel.

Mark

Just to add this for information. We booked our 3/26/06 Dawn cruise while we were on the Sun in April. We asked for the Shearaton Towers pre-cruise package and the computer would not accept the booking. Later when our TA tried, she was told that they were not sure that the contract would be renewed with Sheraton. It wasn't so we decided to go with the Holiday Inn.

I wish you the best. Rather than doing the most that is reasonably possible, NCL pretty much does the least they can to maintain contractual correctness. I called today to NCL and they were beyond rude. We are considering cancelling and getting our 50%.

Yeah that will show them.

Good move

Burney555:

I do hope that you'll have a great time in NYC and on the cruise.

However, even in the brochure and in your travel documents, somewhere it will state that the cruise line has full authority to change any itinerary, including hotels, at its sole discretion for whatever reason, at whatever time.

I understand it is disconcerting and disappointing, but not outside of the boundaries of the contract you signed by purchasing passage and pre-cruise package.

Bravo to you, though, for getting some sort of remuneration from them.... many do not.

I'm glad to hear about the shipboard credit. I was about to suggest that you request one.

I have some inkling as to how you feel. Sixteen years ago, we booked our first cruise, which was a package combining a 4-night cruise to the Bahamas with a 3-night stay in Walt Disney World. As it was our honeymoon, we booked about a year in advance. The hotel at WDW corresponded to the category of cabin on the ship. We selected our cabin based on this -- the hotels promised were the Dolphin or Swan, which were pretty new at the time, and right on Disney property.

Just two days before the cruise, we got a call from our TA that the Swan was sold out due to a convention and the Dolphin was also completely booked, so we were being moved off-property. I was livid. Certainly, they would have known of a convention sooner than two days prior to our visit. We were able to get the cruise line (which wasn't NCL, by the way) to pay for all of our parking at WDW and also a couple of dinners at Epcot, and we may have gotten a shipboard credit, as well.

I hope you have a super time in NYC. I was just there in the same part of town, and it was fabulous.

Archived