Florence Tours!

We cruised the med earlier this year and intended taking train to Florence!

On leaving the ship we went along a line of taxi drivers asking to be taken to the railway station, of course they declined!

We got to nearly the end of the queue and a nice young chap said he would take us!

After we had been on the road for a few minutes, we asked how much it would be to take us to Florence! It was nearly half the price the others had been quoted!

He was brilliant, parked right in the centre of Florence and waited for us! We even popped back with the off chance of unloading shopping and he was there!

On the way back, we even called into Pisa for 3/4 hour which was plenty of time. To see the Tower etc.

We will certianly try this one again lol!

We have been to Pisa before and although it is wonderful, we don't want to visit there this trip.

Literally all we want is a taxi to take us to Florence and then leave us on our own for say 4/5 hours before taking us back to the ship.

Would we be best booking something in advance for this, or just taking pot luck on the day with a local taxi? X do offer this trip, but it is 8 hours in Florence, which is a bit much for us, particularly on a Sunday as half the shops will be closed.

Didn't see a lot of taxis waiting when we left on our private tour. One thing we did (after seeing Florence) was visit a lovely old winery between Florence and Pisa (and, of course, buying wine to share with our dinnermates that night). It was a fun day and having a driver rather than public transportation was delightful.

Hi - we are really interested in doing Florence on our own next year. Could I be cheeky and ask how much you ended up paying for the taxi for the trip.

Many thanks

We paid 200 euros for the full day for 2 of us and worth every penny! We had maximum time and arrived in Florence an hour before the tour bus, and left an hour later! The tour buses spend too much time in Pisa and really all there is to see is the tower and some small shops. Although there is a brilliant Italian leather shop there at very reasonable prices!

If you can find others to share then it is well worth it!

Excellent, it's the leather I'm going for - according to DH the best and softest leather he has seen in the world was in Florence. Appalling I know, a city full of wonderful history and architecture and I'm going for a leather jacket :)

Six of us off the boat in Livorno got together and rented a cab at the dock. He took us to Pisa for half an hour and then took us right downtown to the cathedral in Florence and said he would go back at any time that we wanted.

He gave us a map of they city marked with where he was parked and his name and license number.

It was 250 Euros for the day.

One of the couples that we were with were older and tired. They went back to the car an hour ahead of the rest of us and Augustino was waiting and looked after them.

Not sure about distances from Rome to Florence and Pisa - traffic is very heavy in both major cities. But our day with Stefano Costontini was lovely in Rome - allagrande@hotmail.it - and he recommended and made arrangements for a wonderful guide for the Vatican that greatly enhanced that experience (her name is Domizia).

Excellent, it's the leather I'm going for - according to DH the best and softest leather he has seen in the world was in Florence. Appalling I know, a city full of wonderful history and architecture and I'm going for a leather jacket :)

Bought hubby a suede jacket in Florence, for around 145 euros, it is superb less than £100. It is beautiful, excellent quality and is wearing well! He will be wearing it next week to travel to NYC for our cruise on NCL Dawn! I also bought a suede shawl, which is so versatile goes, with smart or casual and a really useful accessory!

Enjoy Florence, it has got to be in my top 5 favourite citis!!

Archived