Carnival Conquest - Cruising before Drydock

backnine05

I am planning a cruise for this summer and was wondering some people's opinions. The Conquest is scheduled to enter dry dock on the Fall/Winter of 2017. It's last dry-dock was in 2012.

Would you avoid booking a cruise over the summer months on the Conquest knowing that it has not been in dry-dock for close to five years?

Do you think the Ship's condition could be poor?

I am planning a cruise for this summer and was wondering some people's opinions. The Conquest is scheduled to enter dry dock on the Fall/Winter of 2017. It's last dry-dock was in 2012.

Would you avoid booking a cruise over the summer months on the Conquest knowing that it has not been in dry-dock for close to five years?

I love the Conquest and have been on her 4 times. She clearly needs some reno work, but I have yet to see any ship in "poor" condition.

I love the Conquest and have been on her 4 times. She clearly needs some reno work, but I have yet to see any ship in "poor" condition.

Can you explain what you mean by that? Worn carpet? Cracked tile? Worn railings? That type of stuff? Or is it more severe as in non-functioning lights or other non-functioning type problems?

Were on her 6 months ago and thought the ship was fine. I saw a cracked tile here and there but never saw anything in non-working condition. It was clean and staff were friendly and attentive. I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again before dry-dock should the opportunity arise.

Is it in dry dock right now? It's winter 2017. How long will it stay in dry dock?

This was on the dry dock schedule:

Carnival Conquest

Previous Dry-Dock: 2012 Year of Next Scheduled Dry-Dock: 2017

Notes: The Carnival Conquest will be sent to dry-dock 9/30/17 - 10/13/17, according to GoCCL. At this time, no information has been publicly released about the enhancements or work that will be completed during this dry-dock.

The ship is in fine condition. Very clean...great crew...

Don't get hung up on the age of the ship......

looks like we'll be cruising with her JUST before dry dock. We cruise 9/24-9/30 Super excited(only been on Fantasy class previously) & can't wait for Ocho Rios.

What will you be doing in Ocho Rios? Did you choose an excursion, or just going out on your own?

The Conquest class ships are my favorite, we've had three of them here in Galveston. Here are the first batch of photos from a walk around with the GoPro last week on the NYE cruise. I have three sailings of the Conquest on my Flikr album page. Click the little play arrow in the top right for a slideshow. Escape key takes you back.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskLxwkkU

A couple of things, couches in the cabins are worn, a few rust spots here and there, where wood still exists there is need for some clean up, but for a ship that made her first call in Cozumel the week of Thanksgiving 2002 she looks pretty good.

The sad part is Haley Mac is leaving tomorrow as cruise director. She's a delightful person to be around, calls people by name after just one meeting and was everywhere.

Enjoy your vacation.

Edited by BallFour4

What will you be doing in Ocho Rios? Did you choose an excursion, or just going out on your own?

This will be our first visit in Ocho Rios & already booked for the Nine Mile tour. Been wanting to do that for years. Looks like I wont have much time to explore, so hoping to take another in the future (wanting to visit an Ital restaurant-- Reggae Pot)

:)

• 1 month later...

When were you gonna cruise? We are on here 6/17-6/22

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Conquest right now, ship is falling apart. The plumbers have been to our room 3 times now to fix our toilet that only works intermittently . Clothes hanger in our room has no string in it so no where to hang our wet bathing suits. Lots of wear and tear on the ship. Staff is doing it best. I would recommend to cruise on a newer more modern ship .

Carnival Glory a sister of the Carnival Conquest, is about to go into dry dock, about two weeks before the dry dock a large construction fence was put up around the forward pool and slide. This fence will remain up several weeks after dry dock. Carnivals website states "Carnival Glory will be the first conquest class ship to receive the new waterworks" this indicates that the other ships will receive the upgraded waterworks. I would be conscious of this as you might find yourself with no waterslide and down a pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

When do you think is the best to travel? What month ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Between Thanksgiving and February, avoiding Christmas and Super bowl sailings will give a lower number of children on board. Given it is not a home port prone to fog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

All of my cruises have been out of New Orleans and within a few months of the ships drydock. I sailed on Conquest right before it's last drydock. So, I haven't even been on a new or newly refurbished ship. I can't speak for the conquest's condition now, but I haven't had a bad experience with any ship. Maybe my opinion will change once I experience a cruise on a ship that's been recently renovated!

Must be hit and miss, but just back from a 8 day Conquest cruise and thought it was great. No issues with our cabin. I didn't notice (but wasn't looking) any signs of problems in the common areas I went through. Now I did have the Grand Scenic ocean view which may have colored things. Man what a amazing room.

Actually one of the best cruises I've been on in awhile. Crew were all the warm and friendly staff I had remembered but hadn't really had the last several cruises. Loved the theme of the impressionists paintings and loved the Strings violins that played every evening. My cruise in December had been on the Triumph and felt very crowded etc and I kept commenting how open everything felt on the Conquest, may have been our timing but couldn't have been much better.

Definitely plan on cruising her in the future.

The sad part is Haley Mac is leaving tomorrow as cruise director. She's a delightful person to be around, calls people by name after just one meeting and was everywhere.

Awww that is disappointing. I'm sailing on the Conquest in April and I was looking forward to having Haley Mac as the CD. I have heard great things about her. Hope the new CD is just as fun.