Escape: what are you or have you done at each port?

claireruth

St. Thomas - we took a cab to Red Hook and grabbed the first ferry we could over to St. John (two thirds of this island is a US National park, unspoiled perfection!). We then walked to a local dive shop and grabbed some snorkel gear (very clean, professional and friendly!). Then we cabbed it over to Maho Bay (recommended by a friend), which was positively incredible!!! (Doing this again when we cruise the Escape in two months) There were no crowds, it was so serene. I will let you know that there are no restaurants or bars to buy food or drink, so if you plan on going for any length of time, i'd definitely recommend getting something to eat and drink in town and bringing it along, at the very least, a bottle of water. The surf was so calm, it would be great for the kids, the views were incredible, and best of all, we snorkeled with the turtles and didn't have to pay the high price of an excursion to do so! They were right there feeding on the sea grass beds, tons of them!!! After spending a few hours there, we grabbed a cab to head back towards town, we did have to stop off to see Cinnamon Bay, which was equally breathtaking! Then into Cruz Bay to grab a bite to eat, a few drinks and check out the shops. The people of St. John were so pleasant and welcoming, we did not want to leave this island, but had to! Took the ferry back to St. Thomas and a cab back to the ship. St. John was the most beautiful place we'd ever seen in all of the islands we've been to. until .....

Tortola - took the Norwegian excursion "Escape to Jost Van Dyke" and it was perfection, paradise at it's best! It is a 45 minute power catamaran ride (they pick you up right next to the cruise dock) through the Virgin Islands that takes you right up to the water's edge on Jost. There's not a lot to do but swim, go for walks, relax and take in the breathtaking beauty of this unspoiled piece of paradise. Hands down, the epitomy of paradise!! Complete state of relaxation ensued it the time we spent here (the only downside is that since it's such a short time in Tortola, we only got 3 hours on Jost!). However, you still have the 45 minute catamaran ride back! Definitely 4 1/2 hours well spent! (Doing this again when we cruise the Escape in April as well!!!!)

Nassau - After the time we stopped there, we said we wouldn't do it again, buuuut, it was really hot that day on the ship. So we decided that we would go ashore and head over to Junkanoo Beach which we had done several times before. Mistake! Nassau has gone downhill more and more, year by year. We will NOT be getting off of the ship this next cruise!

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide, she's a great ship! Happy sailing!

• 3 weeks later...

However, you mentioned snorkeling, and I have to tell you that I did some of the most amazing snorkeling ever from Tortola...on a snorkel excursion to "Norman Island." The Caves at Norman Island have beautiful reefs that are full of marine life. You can snorkel into the caves themselves, which were once reputed to be storage places for pirate treasure. The second half of that excursion gives you some private beach time on the island reputedly the model for RL Stevenson's "Treasure Island." There's a shallow beach reef there that's also got good snorkeling.

Glad to hear about Norman Island! I've booked with Aristocat to go to Norman Island and The Indians for snorkeling. I've heard great things about the excursion and the company. Did you use them? I haven't been snorkeling for a couple of years so really looking forward to it. I leave 3/18!!!

"However, you mentioned snorkeling, and I have to tell you that I did some of the most amazing snorkeling ever from Tortola...on a snorkel excursion to "Norman Island." The Caves at Norman Island have beautiful reefs that are full of marine life. You can snorkel into the caves themselves, which were once reputed to be storage places for pirate treasure. The second half of that excursion gives you some private beach time on the island reputedly the model for RL Stevenson's "Treasure Island." There's a shallow beach reef there that's also got good snorkeling."

Glad to hear about Norman Island! I've booked with Aristocat to go to Norman Island and The Indians for snorkeling. I've heard great things about the excursion and the company. Did you use them? I haven't been snorkeling for a couple of years so really looking forward to it. I leave 3/18!!!

Our party -- St. Thomas -- DS 21 and friend 22 are doing a Sea Lion swim at Coral World, the 50s to 80s crowd are doing a history tour with Brenda and Frankos -- just $30pp. They offer this with hour long shopping and hour long beach stops, but we opted for the ones that just do a quick stop.

BVI -- Baths

Nassau -- Just have the 21 and 22 year old doing the Atlantis Water Park -- really pricey -- can't believe that I'm forking over the dollars for that for them. Especially since we've been to other waterparks rated higher than that and going to those was more like $50 per day. Well I did recently fork over the dollars for them to study abroad in Italy and stay in London for an extension too, so I guess this is cheap in comparison. DH and I are doing the less expensive Atlantis aquarium excursion. I was going to do the waterpark too till I saw the price lol. // This will very likely be our only time to ever go to the Bahamas. I'm 56 and this is probably both the first and last time I will be there.

I sailed the Escape last year and LOVED what I did at all the ports. You will have a fantastic time on board too!

St Thomas - VI Eco Tours, we did a kayak, hike and snorkel. The two of us turned out to be the only ones (so glad they didn't cancel), and our guide was actually training a new guide, so it was two guides for two customers! Jo was an awesome guide, and tailored our historical hike of Hassel Island to exactly our taste. The new girl happened to be a Master's Program Marine Biology student and well...snorkeling with her was very informative! I would HIGHLY suggest this tour.

Tortola - It was described above as well, and I 100% second the Aristocat's catamaran trip to the Norman Islands and the Indians for snorkeling. My family vacations in Tortola and has been out on the Aristocat a few times. We went the latest time off the Escape and the new owners are absolutely fabulous! We had an amazing time.

Nassau - I've been many times, but with kids, I highly suggest the Pirate's Museum and then walking over to Junkanoo, the public beach. The museum is really neat (even for adults, I've been twice) and very well air conditioned! The public beach is not the best in the world, but there is food, drink, and chairs readily available and it is an easy walk to the port. The later departure time also allows you the ability to watch the other ships depart, which I think is fun. The beach is crazy packed at the close end, but you can always just keep walking until you find a crowd level you are comfortable with.

If anyone has any questions, let me know, I adored all the ports last year!

:cool:

"However, you mentioned snorkeling, and I have to tell you that I did some of the most amazing snorkeling ever from Tortola...on a snorkel excursion to "Norman Island." The Caves at Norman Island have beautiful reefs that are full of marine life. You can snorkel into the caves themselves, which were once reputed to be storage places for pirate treasure. The second half of that excursion gives you some private beach time on the island reputedly the model for RL Stevenson's "Treasure Island." There's a shallow beach reef there that's also got good snorkeling."

Hi! We also agree with Aristocat Charter in Tortola. We sailed with them in September and absolutely had the BEST time. In fact we are on your 3/18 sailing and should be on your Aristocat Charter in Tortola--Lionheart, right?

Hi! We also agree with Aristocat Charter in Tortola. We sailed with them in September and absolutely had the BEST time. In fact we are on your 3/18 sailing and should be on your Aristocat Charter in Tortola--Lionheart, right?

Is the Aristocat Charter the Norman Island Snorkel NCL excursion or did you book directly through Aristocat?

Save

Is the Aristocat Charter the Norman Island Snorkel NCL excursion or did you book directly through Aristocat?

Save

It's a direct book. $125 I believe per person, with drinks and lunch included. The rum punch was delicious and they had no problem cracking beers for us first thing (if you are into that).

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Save

You book directly through Aristocat Charters (they now take bookings on their website) They are located near the ship so it's a quick 10 min walk. They say they have never missed getting anyone back to the cruise ship in time so no worries there! They leave around 8am and get you back by 2pm. We had the best time and will be doing it again in a few weeks! It is $120/adult and $60/children 10 and under.

Nassau - We rented a room at the Comfort Inn and suites which has full access to all of Atlantis. The comfort Inn is directly next door and easy! We took a taxi there checked in and checked out all in one transaction, got our wristbands and were good to go! The ship does offer a tour but I have to say we were at the Atlantis a full hour before the ships tour folks got there and they paid way more than we did. It's a cheaper and quicker way to be at Atlantis for the day.

St Thomas - We did St. Thomas on our own because I've been there many times. We went to one of the popular beaches and then walked around the town. I have to say St. Thomas is very run down from where it was say 10 years ago. There's a lot of trash, literally trash everywhere. If I was going to St. Thomas again, I think I would do a snorkel tour on my own. One time we found a snorkel tour that took you to see Sea Turtles.

Tortolla - I recommend the Bathes but I don't know if this is where you do it all on your own. I've done it both ways. The first time we paid quite a bit and met a tour group on a boat at the dock. We arrived at the Baths by boat. It was expensive. The next time I thought it would be a good idea to do it on our own and save them money. I have to say that it was a hassle doing in on our own and it took a lot of the nice fun day out of the day. Waiting on the farry was a long wait. The ferry ride over was not that fun. Then we had to find a ride to the baths and then what I didn't really like at all was entering at the parking lot and walking down. It sounds fun but it wasn't. Coming in by boat was nice, fun, relaxing. It cost more but I recommend spending the money for it.

Glad to hear! I'm on my own for this excursion, everyone else I'm with is doing their own thing so I'm glad to hear someone else on the ship is going. I'll be the one with the hot pink mask and snorkel!

Glad to hear! I'm on my own for this excursion, everyone else I'm with is doing their own thing so I'm glad to hear someone else on the ship is going. I'll be the one with the hot pink mask and snorkel!

Yay!!! We'll for sure meet up at the M&G on Sunday beforehand! Are you getting excited yet??

Thanks to everyone who recommended Aristocat Charters. I just booked them for a Norman Island & Indian trip. It looks awesome!

Save