Driving on our own safe?

CruisingGiants

Yes it is safe and very easy to do. But it will cost you about $100 US$ for the rental and gas, so it may be cheaper to get an independent tour provider to drive you there. The zoo is the best and your children will love it. If you rent, check out Crystal car rental because they will pick you up at the tourist village, take you to their rental office and you can have them show you the turn off to get into the highway going to the road. If you do go to the zoo, I highly recommend eating at Cheer, which is maybe 1 mile past the zoo and has fabulous food.

Not necessarily for the safety aspect, but I would think a private driver/guide would be much easier! No paperwork, deposits, getting gas to refill before return, purchasing insurace, whatever else you may have to do. PLUS a local driver/guide will have other ideas if you have extra time. They can also act as a tour host telling you about the area.

Get picked up, have a "chauffeur" for the day, and get dropped off. Way easier in my book!

Would you agree a tour operator might be safer? Someone who knows the roads and area? Thanks!

I am a 65 year old grandmother who has lived in San Pedro Belize for 5 years. I give my age, sex, expat status because I am qualified to answer your question in a way that someone who says it is not safe isn't unless they have done it personally and have had a terrible, crimefilled experience. Yes I rent cars from Crystal all the time. They will provide you with a local cell to call them should you have difficulty, the vehicles are under one year of age, and you are no more than 40 miles from the tourist village. They will pick you up and take you to their office so you are not driving in Belize City per se (well at least the bad part) in order to get on the road to the zoo. There is a new road that cuts through that makes this an even easier trip.

In answer to your specific question on whether it might be better with a tour operator, I agree it would be lovely. Unfortunately due to negative experiences with many of the private guides, they will not pick up cruise ship tourists to do this trip.

If you can find one that meets your needs, great, go, relax, go to Cheers for lunch and your children will love the zoo. Do not be afraid.

Janice