Upcoming Allure cruise; no unlimited photo print option?

drrich2

Hi:

For recent cruises, I've bought the unlimited photo prints + digital copy package; tended to run around $400 for a 7 day cruise. Gave us professional prints, plus digital files I can stick in our annual family Blurb photo books (with captions that tell the story of the family, as opposed to 'pictures only' photo albums).

Got online to do so, and I see an unlimited digital photos on thumb drive option for around $250, but no option for that & unlimited prints.

Which got me curious. Anyone know why this is happening? Is it...

1.) Waste from unpurchased prints? If so, is this where the industry, or RCI perhaps, is going? Do you still see large numbers of prints up in the photo area for prospective customers to browse, and the ones not bought are thrown away?

2.) Does it vary cruise to cruise?

3.) I've read professionally produced photos often look better than mass market providers like at chain stores (I'm guessing that means Walmart, Walgreens, etc...). Anyone got an opinion on how prints you got on board compare to prints you have made off the digital files by going to Walmart or similar?

Richard.

I'd hazard a guess that fewer passengers are interested in photo packages in general, and that many of those who are still interested prefer to have digital rather than printed copies.

As for getting them printed, I'd ask at your local photographic store who they'd recommend. Walmart and similar locations would not be my choice.

Planning end of February on the Allure. Would think an Oasis class would offer the whole 9 yards, as they say; was surprised not to see the unlimited digital + prints package offered this time. Once I've paid, I try to 'get my money's worth.'

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

we sailed on the allure in may....at that time there was photo packages offered preboarding....I couldn't remember the price so I too was playing with it because we are booked again in November for a cruise....couldn't find anything but the digital price.....and yes, they do just through out all the un bought pictures.....the last night of our cruise we where in our favorite bar listening to the great music watching them fill up large laundry bins full off pictures to through out......I couldn't believe the waste....I thought there has to be a way that they are recycling that paper and reusing it.....it must of been 6 large and I mean the large ones that they will filling up.....im still in shock almost a year later even thinking about it.....