CPAP skip the extension cord

bloosheep

This is our third cruise. I've never traveled with an extension cord for my CPAP machine, and always relied on the ship to loan us a cord.

While you want to arrange with your line's accessibility department for them to supply distilled water, I've come up with a solution that doesn't rely on the line to supply an extension cord.

Most CPAP machines use a standard, non polarized cord which runs from the wall outlet to the "brick" power supply. Simply switch this short (mine was about 5 feet long) cord with a longer replacement.

In my case, I bought a 15 foot cable from Amazon for less than $10 with Prime shipping (https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Extra-Adapter-Compatible-Generation/dp/B00IA98G04/ref=sr_1_14?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1484660176&sr=8-14&keywords=15+foot+non+polarized+figure+8+cord&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011) .

Before you buy, compare the end to make sure it's the same "figure 8" non polarized cable your original CPAP cable uses. It's quite standard, and don't worry that the cable you buy may say it's a computer cable. CPAP machines don't use much power and aren't picky about what cable you use. Just to be sure, before you go, definitely test the cable you bought by plugging in and running your CPAP machine.

This solution has several advantages: you don't have the extra weight of a heavy separate cable, you don't need to worry about having a separate extension cord questioned by the ship at boarding, and you have a long cable you can use at your hotel before and/or after your time aboard ship.

I had to update my CPAP machine a year or so ago, and bought a unit for use at home and when travelling. It's small and very quiet. I bought the optional rechargeable battery as well, It's great - gives 8 hours sleep and I no longer stress about finding outlets to plug into, as I can plug it in anywhere in the stateroom during the day to recharge:)

Could you tell me which brand of rechargeable CPAP you got? I was actually looking at them as I travel quite a bit now and my home one is quite heavy (with the brick). I was looking at the Transcend. Also last time when I was on Disney cruise, they wanted to take my extension cord (for the CPAP) as it has 3 outlet strip at the end. I use it at hotels to plug in phone charger and stuff but on the cruise it is a banned item.

Yep, it's Transcend Auto. I'm very happy with it, but one problem I had is their software CD, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the software to work, so I could email a report from my machine to my Sleep Therapist. But really it's not a big problem because they're located in same city, so can just take machine in and she can download reports directly.

There was another smaller one I looked at that had a battery 'shell' thing that held the battery and machine, but after checking out reviews online, I decided not to buy it because it was apparently not quiet at all.

Hope that helps:)

This is our third cruise. I've never traveled with an extension cord for my CPAP machine, and always relied on the ship to loan us a cord. ....

NCL's confirmation letter from Access desk says to bring an extension cord.

We always leave one in CPAP case. Never had it confiscated by other cruise lines.

Computer cables either have 2 pins (figure 8) or 3 pins in a triangle. That's a good solution, I think.

A friend of mine used to use CPAP but he went on an aggressive weight loss program and the doctor took him off CPAP. It wasn't easy for him and the doctor said it's very rare for anyone to stop CPAP, but I'm proud of him for what he managed to do.

Computer cables either have 2 pins (figure 8) or 3 pins in a triangle. That's a good solution, I think.

A friend of mine used to use CPAP but he went on an aggressive weight loss program and the doctor took him off CPAP. It wasn't easy for him and the doctor said it's very rare for anyone to stop CPAP, but I'm proud of him for what he managed to do.

Cheers to your friend. Really. People get fat and then they have a hard time sleeping and breathing. To simplify, their fat neck pushes on their throat and they can't breathe. Lose weight and you don't have the fat neck issue. I could breathe when I was thin, but now, nope not so much. Now, granted there are young thin people that need a CPAP but let's face it, the fatter you get the more you need it.