First timer...trying to narrow down choices...Please help

Cookiesbykk

I've traveled extensively but never cruised so of course I have a bunch of questions. I've been able to narrow down my criteria and am looking to you experts for the "intangibles". Hubby and I and another couple are looking for a 7 day Caribbean cruise mid-January 2006 (I know, :o we weren't able to plan any further ahead). We'd like at least 2 days at sea (which eliminates most of the S. Caribb itineraries) and have narrowed down the cruise lines to Celebrity, Princess and RCCL and someone else suggested MSC. So we've found a few out of FLL, Galveston and Miami on all 3 lines. We're early 40s, active, but not looking to close down the disco at this point. We appreciate good food and like to gamble and would like a variety of activities but don't need to be constantly entertained. Just getting away without the kids will be vacation enough! I'm just not sure where the differences lie among those cruise lines. I know our options might be limited at this late date (and considering we want balcony cabins) but with me, the more I can narrow this down, the better!

There...does that give you experts something to go on?;) .

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Oh, one last question. I've found what seem to be some great last minute rates through Vacations to Go out of Houston. Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks again,

Karen

Karen, It sounds ilke you have narrowed it down to the 3 lines that I like to cruise on! (I have no clue what MSC is.)

Here are some thoughts:

1. Cost of flights to the ports of departure. That may make a difference.

2. Length of time in the ports. Sometimes the schedule doesn't leave long enough in a port for me.

3. Whether you want to have a certain time to eat dinner or if you want to have anytime dining (Princess).

4. Celebrity is more sedate than the other 2 lines. We love Celebrities ameneties: waiters seating you at the buffet, sushi, fewer announcements.

5. Size of ship. We appreciate the smaller ships ourselves, but others like the larger ones. We like the more intimate feeling with the smaller ships and getting to know more people on them.

Have fun deciding!

You don't live that far from me...so we probably both fly from the same place! I did consider port of departure and I"m guessing Miami would be the cheapest to fly to out of Dulles? The Galveston itineraries interest me but getting to the port from Houston looks like a hassle and an expense.

Did you say Celebrity has sushi? You might have made up my husband's mind on that alone...he could eat it 7 days a week!;)

THanks for your input...can't wait to see what others have to say as well!

By the way, MSC is an Italian line with new ships. The Opera which does the Caribbean was built in 2004. Sounds pretty nice and upscale. Just don't know how much pasta I can take;)

Vasoccermom - If you're looking to sail from Galveston or Houston, I'm pretty sure those 7-day itineraries are only Western Caribbean, which is the area hardest hit by Hurricane Wilma just a couple of weeks ago. You might want to double-check on any particular ports or excursions you're interested in to make sure they will be up and running by January. Could be that some things are still being repaired. We just returned from the 10/22 Caribbean Princess (sails from Fort Lauderdale) and we recommend it highly. It was our first cruise, we're mid-40's, celebrated our 20th anniversary, not big partiers or drinkers, and we had a lovely time. Would definitely cruise that ship again some day. Anyway, have fun choosing.

Kellie in Texas

Of the lines you mentioned, Celebrity all the way. In all the latest rankings of cruise ships by travel magazines, Celebrity ranked most of their ships in the top 10. I don't think either Princess or RCCI had any ships ranked in the top 10. Celebrity is known for having the best food and service of any of the other mass market lines.

I have been doing a lot of checking regarding Cozumel and Costa Maya...the port of Cozumel is supposed to open Nov 14th.

Another question...when most of you book cruises, do you book the package including airfare or do you find it cheaper to book the air fare yourself?:confused:

We found it much cheaper to book the air ourselves. You also have more control over your flight times; sometimes the cruise air is at weird times of the day with one or two connections. Also, consider flying the day before and spending the night in a nearby hotel; that way, if there are flight or weather problems, or your luggage gets lost, it will have time to catch up with you. Kellie

Hi vasoccermom,

The cruise lines you are considering are all great! I usually cruise RCI but am taking my 1st Princess cruise in a few months. I think the biggest difference between the lines is how formal or casual you want your cruise. RCI is very casual and has tons of activities on their ships. They also have traditional dining. Princess is casual but elegant and has traditional or anytime dining. Celebrity is a bit more formal and has traditional seating in the dining room.

I always book my cruises by the itinerary. You may want to pick the line and port by which ever itinerary you like best.

Don't worry about the date. I'm sure you'll find plenty of balconies available for a mid Jan cruise.

I used Vac 2 Go for my last cruise booking. The price was great and their staff has been very helpful.

Have fun and let us know what you choose!

Another question...when most of you book cruises, do you book the package including airfare or do you find it cheaper to book the air fare yourself?:confused:

It depends on where you are coming from and where you are sailing out of. For my first 3 cruises, cruise air was always less expensive than any fares I could find on my own.

I currently have 3 cruises booked. For one, I was able to get less expensive flights than cruise air on Southwest. For the other two, both are out of San Juan. For one, the cruise air has always been much less expensive than booking on my own. For the other, the cruise air was more expensive, but only if I wanted to take flights with 3-4 connections there each way leaving at 5:30 in the morning and arriving at midnight (flying day before and day after). For that one, I paid the custom air fee and chose my own flights, and it's still less expensive than booking on my own.

The best advice I can give you is book with cruise air and then look for independent flights. If you find better fares on your own before final payment, then cancel the cruise air. Just remember to cancel the cruise air before final payment is due.

"Oh, one last question. I've found what seem to be some great last minute rates through Vacations to Go out of Houston. Does anyone know anything about them?"

I've used Vacations To Go with great success in the past. You're right, they are the least expensive around. When you decide on your cruise after exploring their site, phone their 1-800 number to do your booking. The online TA's are patient, understanding and competent. You can phone with questions even before you actually book.

"Another question...when most of you book cruises, do you book the package including airfare or do you find it cheaper to book the air fare yourself?"

It is usually way cheaper to book yourself - online if possible. I use Southwest whenever I can

vasoccermom,

We just returned from our fourth cruise 3 times on RCI and once on Princess. The most recent one was the Mariner of the Seas (RCI) which goes out of Port Canaveral Flordia they do offer the Western Caribbean with 2 days at sea, this was our favorite ship. There is so much to do.

Archived