Change of Carrier 2017

We were booked ex Glasgow to Malaga to join the celebration in October. No info from Thomson but discovered that the flight was now 3 hours later than when we booked and outbound the carrier was changed from Thomson to Alba Star. We have now changed to go out of Edinburgh but Thomson are using BA, out very early 05-35 am.

A few questions if anyone has been on a BA flight (Thomson chartered).

1. Can you pre book seats still?

2. Assume they will be good?

3. As its so early what is the check in time ex Edinburgh.

Not happy with Thomsin has should tell you of these changes. Is this a sign of things to come??? Bigger ships & not enough own aircarft to support.

We were on a BA flight (with Thomson) to Palma in 2015. It was actually very good as it was a smaller plane and the seats were 2 and 2. We couldn't pre book but were sat together. We are on Alba Star this year to Malaga from Glasgow to join Discovery 2 in June. Fingers crossed it will be ok!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Sheila49

Are you anywhere near Dunfermline or North Queensferry, Fife 1 ? You'll probably know of this great service ?

The Stagecoach Jet747 coach direct connection to EDI airport, and you can leave your car free of charge - up to 14 nights at Halbeath or 7 nights at Ferry Toll.

It's a great facility, and travel was also free on our concession bus travel card !!!

http://www.halbeath.org/

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/east-scotland/jet-747-edinburgh-airport-bus

I think it runs a 24 hour service now ?

As for BA flights - we were on a Thomsons Lakes & Mountains deal a few years back and it was a BA from Birmingham, connection from Edinburgh.

I don't think seats could be pre-booked and I suspect the luggage allowance differed from Thomsons - worth checking out.

Yes WCM just along the road from Halbeath (Great service). Many thanks for the info. Flight time is 05-35. They have told us no pre boooked seats or booking extra luggae, although I see BA at Edinburgh you can drop cases of the night before.

hopefully BA flight good, just did not fancy Alba Star or the fact we would have been going out almost 3 hours later than we expected.

We have not been on the Celebration since 2009

looking forward to it

Where are you going next WCM

I've never heard of Alba Star !!!

http://www.albastar.es/?idioma=en

They look OK - the real problem with these small charter airlines is that if one of their aircraft goes out of service suddenly due to a technical fault they don't have the fleet capacity to reschedule a replacement within a reasonable timeframe.

As highlighted in yesterday's Rip Off Britain on BBC TV (worth watching on iPlayer)- a flight from Manchester last year delayed by 39 hours in this scenario - the holiday from hell right enough.

Our BA flight was great - nice leather type seats, very comfy, better legroom than Thomson - and if I mind right we got a complimentary drink and a meal - I suspect it must have been a scheduled flight that Thomsons had simply booked us on.

Yours is chartered ?

Is the luggage allowance 20kg and 7kg as per Thomsons for cruises ?

We are looking at various options for summer - we've been to so many of the ports of call on Thomsons, few of the itineraries immediately appeal.

If the Jet747 times are 24/7 you are on a winner.

Happy Trails.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Their website says 15kg luggage but my confirmation says 20kg so we need to get that clarified. Hubby and I were just talking about the Halbeath service this morning but unfortunately we're going from Glasgow this time but definitely something to keep in mind for next time as Edinburgh a bit nearer for us from Perth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums