Would a Silversea Lover Like Seabourn?

jimdee3636

Short answer: yes, an SS cruiser could definitely enjoy SB.

Longer answer: We started out on SS in 2011, (5/5) then tried SB due to some service and food and wine concerns on SS, last on in 2015 (4/5 in my CC review). Our next cruise is on SB. It is more expensive overall, based on itineraries chosen and what we usually do, but we can pick and choose our excursions and not pay for ones we do not want that are mediocre.

Cabin size for base units is comparable as is cleanliness, and both have small ship ambience and no crowding, which is nice. SS has predominantly Asian crew, SB more Eastern European, so if you would miss Philipino crew and sometimes their bands, perhaps stick with SS. Furniture and beds on SS were more comfortable for us, softer.

However, with the right itinerary and price (and a plan to order special wines rather than drinking included ones) we would consider SS again.

My favorite small cruise line for terrific food and service right now is Hapag-Lloyd, Europa 2 and MS Europa, but they are on average more expensive per night, all in, and pax are overwhelmingly German (though crew speak English). Not everyone can be comfortable surrounded by Germans, especially those who like to socialize a lot with other pax ( see my reviews).

We will be trying Oceania for a short cruise this summer, to test the food and service.

By not having loyalty to any line, we miss out on some perks and discounts and special treatment by crew, of course.