So Sad at New Carnival Pricing

First, I would like to say I'm glad that I found these boards so long ago they have been a lifeline. I started considering a cruise wedding back in Dec 2015 and this year (2016) we decided on a Dec 2018 wedding we were just waiting for the dates to be posted. The dates have been posted and I was excited to book the wedding package in February with tax refunds but this morning I looked on here and saw a comment about happy that they purchased because of the recent changing in carnival pricing. I went to the brochure and sure enough saw how crazy everything is. Previously, it was $2500 with food and alcohol included, now those are separate and on tiers. After some calculations, it's about an additional $1000 for my group. I just don't see the value in it anymore for a 1 hour reception. What on earth is that $2500 going to? At least, lower than price. I'm now considering other options with this as my honeymoon cruise but alas, I'm sad.

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Weddingspricelist.pdf

oh wow, that is crazy! I believe most of the wedding guests eat at the lido buffet (even though we're supposed to pay for it) no one really pays and no one really seems to care. So maybe if your guests eat at the lido buffet they can just have cake and punch at your reception. When I took of tour of the Breeze a few months ago, one of the wedding coordinators told me not to pay for the lido lunch option and just to tell my guests to take off their badges to go eat.

Others will probably disagree but I would feel justified in doing that. In my opinion what is Carnival spending the other 2 grand on? I could see charging for booze but the rest should definitely come included especially if you're paying for a cruise on top of that.

I swear I'm not sponsored, but I'm planning my sisters cruise wedding for 2019!

We're doing a cruise that stops in Key West and using Weddings to Go Key West! (I've heard GREAT things). For $3,000 we're getting a private reception, transportation, wedding on the beach, chairs, cake, decorations, brunch (or lunch depends on the package), flowers, speakers, PHOTOGRAPHY, literally everything. For us this works way better for a number of reasons

1. not having to deal with signing the marriage license before (will be on US soil)

2. having the wedding on a beautiful beach

3. not having to be rushed during the wedding

We are then planning on using the groups department to create a private party that night. Getting some individual items, open bar, and DJ for around $1,000!

Overall we felt this was a much better deal, we've heard that the photography can cost upwards of $1,000 on the ship and this package includes it. For us its worth the little bit of extra money to get a full sit down meal, wedding on a beach and no rushing!

http://www.weddingstogokeywest.com

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/party/cocktailparty.htm

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1979046

We were VERY lucky that when we talked to our PVP about possibly doing a wedding cruise she recommended contacting the wedding department right away, and the wedding department let us know that there was an updated wedding packet from the last time we had looked and that they were in the middle of more revisions, so if we saw a package we liked we should book it right away. I didn't realize how big the changes would be but it was enough of a warning that we decided to just pull the trigger and book our wedding even though it was a year out and we would have preferred to wait. We weren't quite set on a date and wound up just picking one randomly to get everything set.

We didn't realize it at the time, but our anniversary will be a combination of our lucky numbers and it saved us probably about $2k+ based on the size of our guest list, depending on options purchased.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you [emoji17] I know the new pricing is a lot more in line with what weddings actually cost (at least what they cost where I live). My only guess is that in years past when the industry was in a lull inexpensive weddings were a way to get people on board, and now that people are back to vacationing regularly with the better economy there is less of a need to use weddings to get guests.

Edited by mindymariexxo

oh wow, that is crazy! I believe most of the wedding guests eat at the lido buffet (even though we're supposed to pay for it) no one really pays and no one really seems to care. So maybe if your guests eat at the lido buffet they can just have cake and punch at your reception. When I took of tour of the Breeze a few months ago, one of the wedding coordinators told me not to pay for the lido lunch option and just to tell my guests to take off their badges to go eat.

Others will probably disagree but I would feel justified in doing that. In my opinion what is Carnival spending the other 2 grand on? I could see charging for booze but the rest should definitely come included especially if you're paying for a cruise on top of that.

FYI, the new pricing includes a clause where you HAVE to pay for the buffet for non-sailing guests if you choose not to have food at your reception. They also increased the price to $16 per non-sailing guest I believe. It's in the FAQ'S in the new oacket.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I am very upset too! I'm planning a wedding in August. I'm so last minute on everything but now I see the price change in the wedding packages. It's just not right! I'm considering that my guest eat at the buffet and we just have drinks at the reception. I really hate that they made those changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I am very upset too! I'm planning a wedding in August. I'm so last minute on everything but now I see the price change in the wedding packages. It's just not right! I'm considering that my guest eat at the buffet and we just have drinks at the reception. I really hate that they made those changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you don't order a food package, they will charge you a fee for the guests to eat at the buffet. I dont have the information right in front of me, but when I find it, I'll add it in.