Invitations

:confused: So my FI and I have all the wording we want to put in our invitations. The problem is, since it is a cruise he wants to be very informal about it. So I have been everywhere looking for invitations. He wants to do it so it is not that expensive. I have been to Michael's; Kinkos; Target, etc. Everything seems so plain. I can't figure out what to do to make it cute. If we weren't doing it ourselves, I could buy something already designed. That is not the case. Does anyone have any suggestions for invitations, so they aren't just plain. Everything I have seen at all the stores are just white cards or white with silver or gold around them? Any suggestions?

We chose the 'Message in the Bottle' invitation which went over soooo well ---- following is the link. http://www.southshoredesigns.com/

Wording was as follows:

Because you have shared in our lives

through your friendship and love, we

and

invite you to share with us

the beginning of our new life together

as we exchange marriage vows

on Sunday, the _____ of ___________

two thousand and five

at eleven o'clock in the morning

at sea

(insert lat & long)

Caribbean Princess

We went to Michaels and got the thicker ecru blank invitations.

We then went to www.rexcraft.com and pretended to be purchasing invitations from them and kept clicking tioll we got the the part of the purchase that shows you samples for your wording.

We robbed them of their wording, took the ecru invitations and laser printed the words onto them.

THEN (and here is the piece "de" "resistance")

We bought sheer tissue like paper, sheer ecru ribbon (with a border, no wiring) and a hole punch from Michaels. We cut pieces of the sheer paper so that it would fit nicely over the actual invitation, and punched 2 holes in the top of everything. We threaded both ends of the ribbon through the front of the invitation to the backside, and then brought the ends back through the holes to "finish" on the front and hang loosely down the invitation.

You could even get a solid satin ribbon from Michaels and punch 2 holes in the plain invitation and thread the ribbon through and tie a bow in front.

go to www.rexcraft.com and look up wedding invitation style F10563 and style trans1x1.gifF11309 to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

If you go this route make sure to "over buy" everything to account for mistakes (You dont want to be running back and forth to Michaels a bunch of times)

Congrats!

to see

We did Messages in a Bottle http://www.southshoredesigns.com and couldn't have loved them more. they were expensive so they might not work, but you could make them. You can buy the bottles in bulk on the internet and the paper and print them yourself. Michaels will have the sand, shells and ratton (I think that's what it's called) to tie the response card to the invitation to people can pull out the invitation. Our guests LOVED them and all have them displayed in their houses, LOL. I would have made them myself but we had only about 20 people to invite and I was really busy with work and school so i didn't, but you definitly could do it yourself i you like the idea.

Thanks for all of the ideas, they are great. I really think I like the message in a bottle. I will talk to my FI and see if he likes it. Did you get an idea of who all was coming and then sent them? The reason I am asking is because we have a lot of invitations to go out. We will probably only have about 20 people actually go. Thanks again for the ideas :D

Once, I basically knew who was coming, we ordered one message in a bottle per family (or adult couple). I ordered a few extras in case we had some late bookers. When they arrived (they are boxed very nicely each in an individual white box with blue (like the ocean) packing, I mailed each one out (along with a little pocketbook called "The Essentials of Cruising." I ordered one for each family from Amazon.com for about $7/book. I felt the message in a bottle invitations were more or a keepsake than an actual invitation. Although it contained in the message a regular wedding invitation wording. At the website (http://www.bottlemeamessage.com) they have some good ideas you can stea for your wording. We tweaked it a bit, and it turned out great.

Do you have a Party City store near where you live? They have several sample books with hundreds of invitations. They are always discounted something like 20% - 30% and with so many choices you're sure to find something you like at the right price.

We are making our own message in a bottle invites for much less than buying them on the websites. We ordered bottles w/ corks from Michaels for $1 each. We also got sand and mini shells from Michaels. The paper for the actual invitation was .30 each sheet and we printed them on our own printer. We haven't found a mailing box yet but we are on the lookout :)

We sent a save the date with our engagement story and cruise info to everyone we thought might be interested in going. We will send the MIB invite as a keepsake later for anyone we know is really going. That way we can save some money on shipping!

Good luck!

We used www.mypersonalartist.com They have cruise ship wedding invitations with cruise ship wording. Go to the website and then click on the bottom of page where it says custom invitation collection and then look at the cruise ship invitation. They also have other invitations besides cruiseships that could be used for a destination wedding. I ended up getting the invitations that you can print at home on your computer. They turned out great and no one had any idea that I printed them myself. I highly recommend this vendor.

Archived