Gift for tour guides to give along with money

Not to replace a tip, but is there anything to give our guides for the Northern Europe tours, that they can't get themselves?

Sorry to be brutally honest but I have worked in the Tourist industry in the U.K. and any gifts (apart from food or alcohol) will most likely end up straight in the trash.

If you really wanted to give them something, I would suggest some kind of food product that's local to where you're from and unlikely to be found elsewhere.

There are definitely things that are hard to get, but it's going to vary hugely by individual. For example, for me it's corn tortillas, salt water taffy, maple cookies, Cheetos, and benzoyl peroxide. :) Obviously those are all matters of personal taste and need!

Also, I don't where you're from, but keep in mind that a lot of American sweets are considered waaaaay to sweet for most northern Europeans. My salt water taffy would probably make most people cringe!

I guess I was thinking more like something like a Harley Davidson shirt which is very expensive in other countries sometimes compared to what we can get them in USA. But with the internet, I'm guessing you are right, they can get almost anything. When we lived in Germany, they wanted us to get them a pair of gym shoes which would cost them so much more. Benzoyl peroxide? That's interesting. I agree about the sweets being so much sweeter in our country. I had a friend who was a baker in Germany and he hated our sweets.

Edited by shamrockace

Being from the uk I'd agree on the sweets issue!Plus I'm not keen on grape/cherry/cinnamon flavours as we don't really have those. Still, getting sweets/candy/chocolate from another county is fun if you were really set on getting a gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums