Norwegian Jade Warning -

csrk1

I think our friend would have a problem on any cruise line he went on. I don't know why he doesn't just dwell on the good things that happened for them on the cruise instead of venting these silly minor things. He should be happy he has the opportunity to take a vacation as many people may not.

happytotravel

We were on a b2b in January on the Jade and had a really good cruise. Could have been bad as we had an issue with noise from one of the clubs. We complained mildly, realising that there probably wouldn't be a solution, and Customer Services were really sympathetic and said they would keep us in mind. Sure enough, 3 days later, someone had to leave the cruise early and they let us have that room. Just had to rebalance OPs comments about rudeness and lack of care at front desk. Maybe reconsider how you approach them?

We had a rotten cruise on the Jade. She's an old ship -- we knew this before sailing (read it on Cruise Critic!) so we had altered our expectations. But things are really worn -- old -- broken. She's going into dry dock this year and really needs it. Ok we get it - they can't help "old" ships, but what we DIDN'T expect was that they were going to start renovations DURING OUR CRUISE.

They slowly (and LOUDLY) dismantled the water slide. Had to shut down the kids pool (the only one they were allowed to use -- until we got special permission to "let" our kids swim in the adult pool) too. The entire area was cordoned off with yellow CAUTION tape. SO this meant tons less space and deck chairs because half of one side of the deck was a construction site. Finding a lounger was really tough and even when you did you were crammed into your neighbor in an uncomfortably close way.

We had other issues -- for example Norwegian also did cabin maintenance on our neighbor's cabin at 2 A.M. for an hour. We understand maintenance has to happen, but seriously -- could there be some consideration of timing?

We missed Key West due to fog -- they can't control the weather, we get it -- but no one knew what was going on. Really poor communication between the staff on this cruise. Really poor. God bless anyone who is on that ship if an emergency takes place.

We are frequent cruisers and usually go with Princess. Decided to try Norwegian. We will be returning to Princess. Look - bad stuff can happen with any company. But the thing that really makes an impact on me is how the company responds.

We (at the suggestion of Jovo, the hotel director) wrote up our concerns and shared them with customer service once we were back on land. They basically told us "tough luck" (in so many words) -- that they are allowed to do maintenance whenever, and wherever they want. Expecting a pool? Maybe not. Hoping for a show? They'll let you know once you're onboard.

We were on the Carnival Escape that caught on fire years ago. That was bad. So, this wasn't technically our "worst" experience -- but it was a disappointing second. We'll skip Norwegian and suggest you do too -- not because of what happened but because it doesn't seem like the company really cares at all.

You need to complain while on board...

The only Carnival ships with reported fires were: Tropicale (1999)

Splendor (2010)

Triumph (2013)

No ship named the escape at the time of the fire, but I am sure you were thinking that you needed to escape. :)[/quote/]

The Carnival Ecstacy's entire bow caught fire back in 1998. Quite possibly is the one OP is alluding to.

Actually the dismanteling of the slide was for insurance with the Music at Sea charters that started this week not the refurb.

We just got off the 12 Day and had a great cruise. Yes the ship is showing some wear and tear but the crew was cleaning, painting and polishing everyday. As for rude crew sorry couldn't find any of them onboard, now rude passangers that's another story. Cant wait to see how the refurb goes and are looking to sail the 10 day next year.

My DH and I were on this cruise (Jan. 3-8) and, while the banging on the dismantling of the sliding board was a distraction, it was far from anything that made the cruise "rotten". It was disappointing that we did not stop in Key West, but there was nothing they could do about the fact that the Coast Guard would not let us leave Tampa because of the fog and by the time we left the port, it was too late to try to make Key West. An overnight stay in Cozumel is better than being back home in the cold and snow, working, cleaning, cooking, etc.

The staff on the ship (including the front desk) was excellent. The food was excellent (the Cagney's filet at dinner was the best I've ever had) and we had an EXCELLENT time on the Jade, on the same cruise that this OP was so miserable on.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!

The Carnival Ecstacy's entire bow caught fire back in 1998. Quite possibly is the one OP is alluding to.

Actually it was the stern that caught fire. All started in the laundry and welding work done on a mangle without a proper hot work permit ignited heavy accumulation of lint in the exhaust ducts. Flames followed it to the vents which were on the mooring area aft. The rope ignited and the fire was on.

Fire at sea is no joke.

And that much plastic and paint burning does produce lots of dense smoke.

Poetry not intended! :)

But I do remember Monday, July 20, 1998 very well seeing my whole life flash before my eyes. I was not working on H3GR but a ship further north and we were in a terrible thunderstorm and the vessel's antenna was struck and I took a hit. It's not fun getting lit up like a BIG Christmas tree in Central Park but my friends and family joke about it.

Because it's happened to me three times.

And let me say that ship years are NOTHING like dog years!

Jade, formally POH, entered service nearly 11 years ago. I was there in MD in April, 2016.

We live in a society where it seems everyone has to have something new or it's subpar or even no good.

Want to have fun? Try a shakedown cruise!

We were on the Jade for the 12 day 1/25-2/6. We knew about the slide removal prior to going, thanks to CC. They were working in the pool area during our cruise as well but other than the noise, were not a big distraction. The ship is in need of some updating but the crew was fantastic. Big smiles from everyone you met in the halls (with the exception of one grumpy steward) and on deck. Food was great in main dining room, buffet and specialty. A day at sea is a bonus and everyone should enjoy it.