What side of ship to get a cabin

BRONZEMEMBER

My wife and I will be taking the 14 day Panama Canal Cruise in the fall of 2006 and were wondering what side of ship should I have a cabin on, :confused: port or starboard. Can I see more from the veranda depending what side I am on. Hope we can get some help on this.

Having been through the canal it really makes no difference because there are two lanes going in through the canal and of course we have no way of knowing what lane. When we went through we were on the starboard side and naturally we were on the very right hand lane so we just went on the Promenade deck and had a fantastic view of it. Of course they also open up the front of the ship(frankly I forget what deck) and depending on what ship you are on you can also be aft on different decks. We sailed on Princess when we went through but most of the ships are designed somewhat the same for viewing of the canal. When we sailed from east to west all of the workings of the canal are on the port side but it just depends on what lane the ship is sent too.

Marilyn

Having been through the canal it really makes no difference because there are two lanes going in through the canal and of course we have no way of knowing what lane. When we went through we were on the starboard side and naturally we were on the very right hand lane so we just went on the Promenade deck and had a fantastic view of it. Of course they also open up the front of the ship(frankly I forget what deck) and depending on what ship you are on you can also be aft on different decks. We sailed on Princess when we went through but most of the ships are designed somewhat the same for viewing of the canal. When we sailed from east to west all of the workings of the canal are on the port side but it just depends on what lane the ship is sent too.

Marilyn

On this particular itinerary, I don't think port or starboard makes a real difference. Get the best cabin location for your budget and prepare for a great cruise.

Unless you have a crystal ball it really doesn't matter which side you are on in the Panama. The balcony is great for having breakfast as you glide ever so slowly into the first locks at 5 AM!!!!!!!!!! Then for the best view go up to the gym and use a treadmill to walk across the Canal!! Can't beat that view!!! And practically known there!

My wife and I will be taking the 14 day Panama Canal Cruise in the fall of 2006 and were wondering what side of ship should I have a cabin on, :confused: port or starboard. Can I see more from the veranda depending what side I am on. Hope we can get some help on this.
Won't matter which side you're on. However, assuming you're on one of the Millennium class ships, you might want to consider one of the following cabins for either Panama or Alaska. Best veranda space and views in the house (apart from the Penthouses, of course;) ).

my better half just informed me that i phrased the question incorrectly, her interest in side of ship was to see if we will get to see shoreline as we cruise along Mexico and will she be able to sun bathe on the veranda? we'll be sailing LA to FtL.
We were far enough out to sea down the coast of Mexico that it wouldn't have mattered much where we were. I wouldn't give that any serious consideration as a decision point. As for sun bathing on the veranda, I'm back to my prior suggestion about staying aft, but if you've got to be on one side or the other, it obviously depends upon the time of day she prefers. On the southbound run, the sun rises in the east (port), and sets in the west (starboard) and all that. You'll get the reverse of this heading back north, so apart from time of day, a cabin on either side is a matter of timing.

Aft, there's a tendency to have more opportunity for sun on the veranda (at least out on the end towards the railing) more often than on either side during this itinerary.

hi canderson,

its me again.

i am interested in researching our tours in the different ports for the canal trip. I have not had a tons of luck. On the trip we went on together. i had everything so well planned . Any suggestions? Which ones did you and your wife enjoy? This trip will be with my aunt and i . So we wont be snorkeling or tram riding. We would like to see- and do all that we shouldnt miss. So far i honor your suggestions. You certainly led me right on going west to east and also the great cabin we will have 7208.

Any way- i would appreciate any info you will share.

Many thanks

Nadine

hi canderson,

its me again.

i am interested in researching our tours in the different ports for the canal trip. I have not had a tons of luck. On the trip we went on together. i had everything so well planned . Any suggestions? Which ones did you and your wife enjoy? This trip will be with my aunt and i . So we wont be snorkeling or tram riding. We would like to see- and do all that we shouldnt miss. So far i honor your suggestions. You certainly led me right on going west to east and also the great cabin we will have 7208.

Any way- i would appreciate any info you will share.

Many thanks

Nadine

Nadine. Drop me another line via email address below (lost your address, I think) and let's talk about the options. Or let me know where your Roll Call board is. Would be a great place to talk about it.

Archived