Puerto Rico birth certificate?

slk230red

Has anyone sailed round-trip out of Fort Lauderdale using a Puerto Rico birth certificate (re-issued in 2015)? Any issues?

Thanks

Maybe invest in a passport. My wife is on her third with a Puerto Rican birth certificate.

There are very specific rules regarding PR birth certs. Wish I knew for sure where I read them but I know I have seen them on several cruiseline website. Possibly also on the US State Dept site also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember something going back about 5 to 10 years ago, where an agency (or several agencies) were questioning the legitimacy of a number of Puerto Rican birth certificates, on the theory that they were either fraudulent or forged. New requirements were put into place -- to obtain Drivers Licenses and Passports for example -- where if you submit a certificate from Puerto Rico, you had to submit other verifying documents until a tamper proof version of the BC could be obtained.

I wish I had followed up on that subject, I don't know whether those docs are still suspect. The idea of getting a passport -- time consuming as it is in this specific case -- might be your best bet. You don't want to get to the port on cruise day and be denied boarding because of a problematic piece of ID.

Michael

I remember something going back about 5 to 10 years ago, where an agency (or several agencies) were questioning the legitimacy of a number of Puerto Rican birth certificates, on the theory that they were either fraudulent or forged. New requirements were put into place -- to obtain Drivers Licenses and Passports for example -- where if you submit a certificate from Puerto Rico, you had to submit other verifying documents until a tamper proof version of the BC could be obtained.

I wish I had followed up on that subject, I don't know whether those docs are still suspect. The idea of getting a passport -- time consuming as it is in this specific case -- might be your best bet. You don't want to get to the port on cruise day and be denied boarding because of a problematic piece of ID.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I'm asking for a friend that wants to take his first cruise using a PR birth certificate. I think there was a requirement to get new birth certificates if the current one was issued before July 1, 2010. He received a new birth replacement birth certificate in 2015.

I suggested getting a passport, but he refuses to take my advice.

Thanks Michael,

I'm asking for a friend that wants to take his first cruise using a PR birth certificate. I think there was a requirement to get new birth certificates if the current one was issued before July 1, 2010. He received a new birth replacement birth certificate in 2015.

I suggested getting a passport, but he refuses to take my advice.

If he refuses to take the advice, then it's a crap shoot ... he may very well be ok when he checks in, but also may be S.O.L.

From a curiosity standpoint, and to help others who may be in the same situation, I'd appreciate if you'd post a follow up to let us know what happens with your friend.

Hope everything works out.

Michael

I googled "pr birth certificate cruise" and got a most helpful Carnival page that says "Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010."

You said his was reissued in '15 so it seems he's in the clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I googled "pr birth certificate cruise" and got a most helpful Carnival page that says "Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010."

You said his was reissued in '15 so it seems he's in the clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this, Molly ... I keep forgetting the old adage that "Google Is Our Friend".

Michael