Aloe factory question...

emilygrace

My girlfriend (oh please, we're in our 50's, but don't know what other term to use) and I will be in Aruba next year. We're not really interested in doing the ship tour of Aruba, but we'd like to go to the Aloe Factory. We're hesitant to just go off on a private tour, being two women alone, but would really like to see the factory. Is it walkable from the pier? I've read on another thread that the prices for the products are the same in other retail places, but we'd like to see the factory.

Also, my friend is a MAJOR shopping junkie, so any ideas for good shopping?

Thanks!

Carol

My girlfriend (oh please, we're in our 50's, but don't know what other term to use) and I will be in Aruba next year. We're not really interested in doing the ship tour of Aruba, but we'd like to go to the Aloe Factory. We're hesitant to just go off on a private tour, being two women alone, but would really like to see the factory. Is it walkable from the pier? I've read on another thread that the prices for the products are the same in other retail places, but we'd like to see the factory.

Also, my friend is a MAJOR shopping junkie, so any ideas for good shopping?

Thanks!

Carol

Aruba is perfectly safe, and a cab will be reasonably priced. Oranjestad isn't that big and anything within it is within a reasonable walk if you are fit. Remember it will be hot and the sun so near the equator will be quite strong so wear a lot of high number sun tan lotion or you will really need the aloe.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm a good walker, but I'm not good in the heat (not to mention humidity), so we'll probably take a cab. Been looking at the temps for this week in that area and I'm dreading the heat, but want to see the sights! And yes, I'm planning on taking probably SPF 30 or 40 on this trip!

It is only about a 10 minute tour. But the store is real nice and needless to say, if you cannot find it there in their store, it just is not made. Their product can be found all over the island. If you just need some product and don't need the tour, just walk across the street to the mall and there are kiosks selling product. You can also order online :)

Directly across the main street from the pier is the island bus terminal.

We thought the taxis were very expensive so just hopped the local bus

and rode the whole length of the island. We got off at different places

to shop and got back on. I think the price was $5.00 pp. The locals

ride the bus and are very friendly.

We shopped on the beach (stores behind the high rises on the north

end) and there is also a small mall downtown; a short walk from the

pier heading south on the left near what used to be the Sonesta

hotel.

We loved Aruba

Joyce

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I do not know what your expectations of the factory are, but we were somewhat taken aback by how small it is. There are very few workers (maybe 10-15 total). As mentioned above, the shop has anything and everything made of aloe.

Here are a couple of pics. The first is the factory and fields ... the second is the inside "factory production floor". They were not working the day we were there....

DSC03099small.jpg.567565328fc8dbd78b831327970bee2b.jpg

DSC03107small.jpg.04c88ca18794ec7967dfeec61631f3cb.jpg

Archived