Travel Insurance Recommendations for Flight Delays

backnine05

I am looking to fly into FLL on the morning of my cruise (yes I know, not a good idea, but I do not have another option), my flight is scheduled to land at 9:30 am with the ship departing at 4:00. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a travel insurance policy that would cover if our flight was delayed and we would not be able to make it to the ship in time. Most policies I've looked at on cover if there is a 5 or 6 hour delay. However, I would need a 3 or 4 hour delay policy when calculating how late I could arrive at the ship. Any recommendations? Trying to find the most cost effective plan out there.

I am looking to fly into FLL on the morning of my cruise (yes I know, not a good idea, but I do not have another option), my flight is scheduled to land at 9:30 am with the ship departing at 4:00.

I understand you are still looking and not yet booked a flight.

Does your cruise line have any flight packages? When we have to fly on cruise day, we get our flights thru the cruise line that guarantees we get to the next port when there are flight delays.

I understand you are still looking and not yet booked a flight.

Does your cruise line have any flight packages? When we have to fly on cruise day, we get our flights thru the cruise line that guarantees we get to the next port when there are flight delays.

I was planning on using airline award points to book my flights, so I don't think booking airfare through the cruise line would be an option.

Unless you are planning a trip during the dead of winter, I'd probably just "risk" this one. I wouldn't consider a possible 5 or 6 hour delay as being very high.

That being said, a couple of notes.

If you do experience a delay and miss the ship, you have another couple of headaches to worry about. YOU have to pay out of pocket for last minute seats flying one way to catch the ship, then file for reimbursement when you return.

You have to have passport book. In this day and age of security, will the cruiseline actually allow you to board midway through the cruise. Years ago, that would have been Yes. Not so much anymore.

Second thing. You're booking using award miles. Award miles have $0 value. You will be considered a non revenue customer. You can't insure "award" mileage flights.

What you CAN do is insure the fees that it would cost you to "rebank" those miles in case of cancellation.