deciding what to do in belize

sanrionjb

It looks like there are so many fun excursions in belize that we can't decide what to do there. Cave tubing sounds awesome and such a unique experience, but will the water be really cold in January? The zoo sounds fun too. We love zoos (all kinds- I especially loved the astrada zoo in the bahamas) so we've thought about an excursion that stops there but I've heard mixed reviews on that. I've heard great things about snorkeling too. We've never snorkeled before but hope to at some point on the cruise (Miracle, will be visiting Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize).

what would everyone recommend? by the way, me and my fellow travelers are all around 25 years old.

I don't know how you feel about ruins but our favorite excursion was the

Lamanai and New River Safari. You take a bus to the New River (about an hour from the cruiseship dock.) At the New River, you board VERY fast large speed boats and head for Lamanai. The boats are fast and its like a theme park ride along the twisting and curving New River. Every time wildlife is spotted the boat is slowed down or stopped to get a good look. We saw many birds (including the jaracana which walks on water), huge termite mounds, a baby crocodile and bats. The ride with stops takes about an hour and quarter. At Lamanai, we ate lunch, had a brief look at the museum and then toured the ruins (which are very fascinating)(about 3 hours). Then we took the speed boat back to the New River docks (about 45 minutes without stops).

This is an all-day excursion. We would have loved more time at the museum and ruins but they had to get us back to the tender docks. (We ended up on the 2nd last tender.)

Forgot to add, At Lamanai, we saw howler monkeys.

I would also be interested in beaches/snorkeling spots that are close to the dock, e.g. accessible via a short cab ride. I have a group of 16 people that I am trying to find an inexpensive excursion for. We've already seen the ruins and have been cave tubing so that's not of interest to us this trip. Thanks for your help.

Archived