Monaco or Cannes?

waterlegs

I know there are other posts with similar questions. I guess I started a new thread as wondering between these two because we are in Villefranche the day before the Cannes film festival starts and about nine days before the Gran Prix in Monaco starts. Have heard very mixed feedback on both places. Is the race arena under construction going to make visiting Monaco difficult? Is there any chance of celeb spotting in Cannes the day before the festival starts? I want to visit nice too, although I am just relaxing on this port day and strolling around places. Nothing specific I want to see.

I know there are other posts with similar questions. I guess I started a new thread as wondering between these two because we are in Villefranche the day before the Cannes film festival starts and about nine days before the Gran Prix in Monaco starts. Have heard very mixed feedback on both places. Is the race arena under construction going to make visiting Monaco difficult? Is there any chance of celeb spotting in Cannes the day before the festival starts? I want to visit nice too, although I am just relaxing on this port day and strolling around places. Nothing specific I want to see.

From Villefranche, it is much faster to get to Monte Carlo. Prior to the race you will see grandstands erected in various parts of the city, but the only impact it has on tourism is to sometimes make it necessary to walk around a barricade or perhaps cross a street. As to Cannes, we have been there many times (including during the Film Festival) and have never spotted any Celebrity during the day time (we figure they are sleeping :). One would suspect that many of the well known Celebrities are actually staying in places outside of Cannes. When staying in Cannes during the Film Festival it did make getting in to some of our favorite restaurants more of an issue...since the town is pretty full of tourists. As to doing Nice, Cannes, and Monte Carlo in a single day (from Villefranche....while its possible you certainly will not have nearly enough time to fully explore any of those cities (especially Nice). But they are all along the same train line (which operates like a commuter rail system with no reservations) so it can be done using the train....and watching the time.

Hank

Thanks Hank. Yes, I am not looking for a big exploration of any of the places. Just a relaxing day. Happy to just walk the prom and maybe old quarter of nice. I might only stay at most an hour in cannes. The area directly around villefranche sounds nice too though for walking around. Will see what the rest of my party are doing and what weather is like.

Thanks Hank. Yes, I am not looking for a big exploration of any of the places. Just a relaxing day. Happy to just walk the prom and maybe old quarter of nice. I might only stay at most an hour in cannes. The area directly around villefranche sounds nice too though for walking around. Will see what the rest of my party are doing and what weather is like.

Also consider visiting the Nice Flower Market, which is located in an outdoor venue in the Old Quarter (Cours Selaya) and functions 6 days a week (on Monday it becomes an antique market). This is best visited in the morning and is easily paired with a walk around the adjacent Old Quarter. It is also less then a 15 min walk from the main part of the Promanade.

Hank

Everyone seems to recommend the flower market...it must be really something. Looking at google map the train station seems an awful long distance from the promenade. Can you walk it or is there a shuttle or anything?

For many who spend time in France, the outdoor markets are special and a wonderful place to learn and experience some of the local/regional culture. Most markets are weekly....but the Flower Market is daily (expect Mondays). It is an area you can explore in about an hour, and besides the many beautiful flowers (for sale) there are various food vendors and some other local wares for sale. The location (Cours Selaya) is quite convenient and also has quite a few decent cafes/restaurants that surround the market area. It is a good market if you want to purchase some of the regional spices (they make decent inexpensive gifts) or simply learn about the popular food/agricultural products. In some ways these markets compare to Farmers Markets in our own country.

When we rent an apartment in France (especially Provence) we usually have a list of all the various markets in the region...and will often plan our daily driving itineraries around market days (which vary in each community). Our favorite market, in the South of France, is at a village called L'Isle Sur la Sorque that is held on Sunday mornings. If we are staying anywhere within 1-2 hours of this market...it is where we head on any Sunday morning with good weather. For cruisers it is accessible from the Port of Marseille...but would require a rental car or private tour. There are quite a few web sites dedicated to markets...and everyone seems to have their own favorites.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for the info. I have looked at youtube clips of Cannes and Monaco and have to say that Cannes appeals alot more to me. Seems more pleasant. This has brought another question to mind. If I ask for a return ticket from villefranche to cannes will it let me get off in nice on the way or way back or would I need separate tickets? Also do you know what time the flower market ends about? Midday?

Thanks for the info. I have looked at youtube clips of Cannes and Monaco and have to say that Cannes appeals alot more to me. Seems more pleasant. This has brought another question to mind. If I ask for a return ticket from villefranche to cannes will it let me get off in nice on the way or way back or would I need separate tickets? Also do you know what time the flower market ends about? Midday?

I do not think they sell round trip tickets (unless the policy has changed). If you ask for a round trip (au retours) at the ticket window they will usually sell you two one-way tickets (no discount). You simply validate one of the tickets (in the validation machine) before you board...and save the other ticket for your return (you validate it before you board the return train). The validation machine simply imprints a time date stamp on the ticket.

If you have a ticket to Villefranche and jump off in Cannes...that would not be a problem. In theory you can still use that same ticket later, from Nice to Villefranche....as long as its still within the allowed time limit. But I do not know the current time limit rules (perhaps Euro Cruiser will see this post and answer that question).

Hank