Another Help me decide thread!

Indytraveler83

Hey everyone, we get on the Dream next week, which makes it the perfect time to think about our winter 2018 cruise! For those of you who like to comment or help decide, I've got some questions for you!

Background:

We cruise every winter (Jan/Feb) to get out of the Lake Michigan influenced cold for a bit. The 2018 cruise needs to be more budget conscious than usual because we are hoping to honeymoon that fall. We usually like cheaper/low on the ship balconies (such as a cove) or nice ocean view rooms. When considering price, we have to look at the big picture, such as cost of hotels/parking in the home port as well as how "necessary" excursions in the ports of call are. We prefer 7 or 8 day cruises as they are the longest we can get off work without causing problems.

Ports: Most ports are in play here, but to be budget conscious we need to drive. We might be able to pull of Port Canaveral, but Miami/Fort Lauderdale would be a 2 day drive (meaning paying for an extra day at a hotel), as would Galveston. Given the fog issues in Galveston this time of year, I'd rather avoid that one.

Ships: We've cruised on Elation and Dream, enjoying both. We aren't real picky about the ships but having a steakhouse and Serenity deck are important to us. Ship size/age is irrelevant to us.

Ports of Call: We've seen much of the "Western Caribbean" tour by now and are hoping to change it up a bit. Also hoping for a few ports we don't feel the need to buy excursions, so ones with good shopping or a free beach near the port would be fantastic.

The Options (so far):

Carnival Magic (Port Canaveral): to Amber Cove; St. Thomas; San Juan; Grand Turk

Pros: Fantastic ports we haven't seen, cove balconies

Cons: Highest price (by about $100+ PP) and furthest drive

Carnival Pride (Baltimore): to Princess Cays; Nassau; Freeport

Pros: Really want to try the Pride, inexpensive port options

Cons: Would most of this cruise be too cold to enjoy?

Carnival Dream (New Orleans): to Key West; Freeport; Nassau

Pros: Familiar ship, new ports

Cons: Familiar ship, are the Bahamas too cold this time of year?

Carnival Ecstacy (Charleston): to Nassau; Half Moon Cay; Grand Turk

Pros: Interesting ports, shortest drive

Cons: No steakhouse, expensive balconies

Which would you choose? Any options I haven't seen? (I see some nice port options on the Sunshine, but they are all going $200+ PP more than the others, so I didn't include those)

My choice would be the Magic. None of the other itineraries interest me at all. Sad, since I lived in Nassau when I was younger, but there's really nothing there worth seeing. Freeport is worse. It's worth a few extra dollars and a little longer drive for the Magic's itinerary, IMHO.

I would say Magic as well. I think the ports it goes to makes it a simple choice to spend the extra money and drive the extra distance. By the way you asked about weather, just from my experience cruising from Canaveral last November on the Valor to the Bahamas, it was chilly at night and warm but not really warm enough to think about getting in the water in the Bahamas. No way I would think about cruising from Baltimore that time of year unless I was content spending my sea days indoors.

This year the Pride has been repositioned to Tampa for the winter January and February. Not sure what the plan is for next year. We just cruised out of Charleston in November on the Sunshine. Great city to visit and the itinerary was great but they only go there once in a while. We went to Key West once on a cruise and it was such an awesome place to visit, I would love to go back again, but not when combined with the Bahamas in the winter. So, I would pick Magic just for the itinerary. I had a friend that cruised to the Bahamas in February and she complained about how cold it was, especially the water. All they could do is sit on the beach in their clothes and dream of swimming.

Having just been on the Magic for this exact itinerary in October I would choose it. Like others I am not a fan of the Bahamas. And you can do the ports on your own except Amber Cove. It is still new and although I wanted to go do the waterfall tours through Iguana Mama I didn't like risk it. So we just stayed at the port area. Loved the pool area and had a great day there. It is also large enough that it didn't feel crowded. San Juan we walked everywhere and went to both Forts. Only 10pp to see both. Grand Turk is an easy free beach day. St.Thomas I loved and did a tour with Godfrey to see the island, do some shopping and beach time as well. I loved Coki beach. Most like Magens Bay but if you like to snorkel Coki is great.