Walkie Talkies

GATravel

Hi, we are going on a cruise this upcoming week 11/20 on liberty with a LARGE family I'm loosing count of how many people are going but I think it close to 25. My mother & sister in law would like for ALL to have walkie talkies. However, my hubby and I refuse because we're on vacation and we don't want everyone to keep tabs on us. I know some have purchased their radios from radio shack & target. Then when your on the boat just let everyone from your party know what channel you will be communicating from. In the past, we've used the radios on road trips and their really fun. However, I won't be carrying a walkie talkie nor some of my sister in laws. I could just picture it my hubby and I are on the pool deck and my mother in law will be on the walkie talkie asking where we're at....blah blah blah or requesting us to bring my father in law something to eat...... (its like an Everyone love Raymond episode- picture it !!!)

Does anyone know if Carnival has walkie talkies that guests can use on the ship? If so, has anyone ever used them? Could you give me a little information... where to get them? How much do they cost?

Thanks!

I think Carnival rents them onboard. I have used Motorola 12 mile with over 122 subcodes. This prevents most from listening to your conversations. It does require an FCC license.

If this thread is like others on this subject, be prepared for the behavior police to chime in. They think that folks with walkie talkies are rude and inconsiderate.

I think walkie talkies are a great way to keep tabs on kids. They also come in handy onshore.

Photocruiser

photocruiser

quote: They think that folks with walkie talkies are rude and inconsiderate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That pretty much sums up the truth. :cool:

Just a suggestion...We bought some walkie talkies from QVC that had ear pieces. Mainly because the other kind that beep and makes all that noise bothers my husband so much...But I still want to have contact with the kids 13 and17 when we were not right there with them......

It also keeps you conversations private

I think Wal mart sells that kind too.

Just a suggestion...Hope it helps

TJ

Walkie talkies would be no different than a phone if people would be aware of how loud they have the volume turned up and not scream into them. When someone calls, walk away from the croud to talk and no one will even notice you. We use Southern Linc in our business everyday (same thing as Nextel, different company) and they are great, can't live without them, but I can see how they would be obnoxious in crowed quarters since your conversation is out there for all to hear. Just exercise the same respect for others that you would use on a phone conversation and no one will even notice you. (You can turn the beep down or off by the way.) Besides walkie talkies are only designed for short, to the point communication and not long conversations anyway. They are too much of a pain to try to carry on for a long time. Be aware of your volume and surroundings and probably no one will even notice you.

But still, some ppl will condemn walkie talkies no matter what, just because THEY don't like them.

In their gift shop, they had two types 8 mile and 10 mile and I think they were 50 and 70 dollars. I brought a pair and they worked ok. Got some interference if were were on extreme ends of the ship. Lots of metal in the way....

Hope that helps...

Javier

If you have Southern Linc or Nextel, some handsets come equipped with or have a downloadable app for about $20 that enables them to use the walkie talkie feature off network (anywhere you don't get a signal from your carrier) up to about 6 miles. So if you have 2 or more handsets equipped with this software you should be able to use them aboard ship and you won't get signal cross from other units like you do with the ones you buy at the store since your phone has a private id number assigned to it.

Does anyone know if Carnival has walkie talkies that guests can use on the ship? If so, has anyone ever used them? Could you give me a little information... where to get them? How much do they cost?

Thanks!

As per Carnival's site, under FAQS- things to rent, "motarola radios " was one of a few items. Thought I saw a few weeks ago someone said $30 US for week, but don't quote. C YA

Archived