Foreign Transaction Fee w/Master Card

asctony

Booked an MSC cruise using a Master Card. This is the first time that I have been charged a Foreign Transaction Fee. Apparently it is due to MSC being a Foreign Cruise line in Sorrento, Italy? TA never said anything about this additional fee. Have any of you encountered this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Asctony

I posted trhe following a while back.

I'm sure that everyone who has just paid for this cruise got hit - but for anyone who hasn't paid with a credit card be aware that MSC is sending the charge through Sorrento. When the charge hits your credit card the fee gouging credit cards (Visa and MasterCard for sure) will clobber you for an additional 3% called a "Foreign Transaction Fee". In My case it came to almost $400.00. There was no inkling that the charge was coming through from Italy as my initial deposit went through New Jersey.

It seems that MSC ran a slew of charges back through their Italian bank without anyone knowing about it until the foreign fee charge hit . My TA talked to MSC and they're giving me a shipboard credit.

Dicks70: Thank you very much for your reply. No, I did not see your previous post. I am new to the MSC board. I just booked our first MSC cruise and was totally shocked when I pulled up my Master Card account and saw the 3%. I tried calling my TA. Luckly she was out today. So, now with your reply, I have something to add to my complaint about the Fee. This was the first time any cruise line processed my booking and I encurred a Foreign Transaction Fee. Thank you again!

When did your foreign transaction fee get charged to your credit card? Was it the same day your final payment was charged on your credit card or at the end of your billing cycle?

We are taking the Opera in December and our final payment was charged against our Master Card Nov. 4, and just like you it shows being processed through Sorrento, Italy but we haver not been surcharged YET. When does the other shoe drop?:eek:

When did your foreign transaction fee get charged to your credit card? Was it the same day your final payment was charged on your credit card or at the end of your billing cycle?

We are taking the Opera in December and our final payment was charged against our Master Card Nov. 4, and just like you it shows being processed through Sorrento, Italy but we haver not been surcharged YET. When does the other shoe drop?:eek:

It showed up as a separate charge on the same day with the same transaction Ref # as FOREIGN TRANSACTION FE - FTF on 11/05/2005.

Just got through talking to my TA and she called MSC. MSC says they do not do that, but it did happen to me. My TA is taking action to get the charge reversed now.

Apparently I am not the only one that this happened too. Check my other posting on the same subject. One other person was charged $400.00 for the FTF.

I will post the final results as soon as I get this completed with TA, MSC and Master Card.

Archived