Category IX is guarantee or not?

wtang

Wtang, We are not on the Breakaway and I apologize cuz I totally got our cabin # wrong. I looked at yours (NCL, deck plan, deck key) and all it says is sleeps 4. Hopefully the setup is perfect for you and you have a great cruise

Thanks for getting back to me, bronzestar. I appreciate you looking up my cabin info for me. It's good that it sleeps 4, but I was just curious about the configuration of the beds. (i.e. are the beds for guests 3 and 4 trundle beds that slide under the main beds, is it a fold out sofa bed, or are they wall mounted Pullman beds?) I can't seem to find photos of cabin 5100.

I'm still not sure how I feel of cabin 5100 (hence this thread) because I was trying to book an inside guarantee (IX) with my TA. But since I booked early, and 5100 was still available, the booking system immediately and automatically assigned me to that cabin at the time of booking. Not what I expected. Cabin 5100 (and 5700) are probably the least desirable cabins on the Breakaway due to location. But on the bright side, I'm going to be on vacation, *on a cruise*, and sailing to beautiful Bermuda! :D

I hope you have a great cruise too!

• 4 months later...

WTang please let us know how this turn out. I also booked a guarantee (called sail away) OX and was also automatically assigned a room. My problem is that nothing else in the oceanview category is showing available to pick and balconies are sold out. There are categories higher available but they are out of my price range.

I found some info on the _X categories. https://www.ncl.com/promo/sail-away-rates

Plan your next vacation with Norwegian's Sail Away Rates - our best available rates on select cruises! Simply choose a cruise below, then pick your stateroom category - Inside, Oceanview, Balcony or Mini-Suite. Next, select the corresponding Sail Away subcategory: Sail Away Inside (IX), Sail Away Oceanview (OX), Sail Away Balcony (BX) or Sail Away Mini-Suite (MX). Then, proceed to check out and we'll do the rest!

Your stateroom number will be assigned by us when you check in on your sail date. And the best part? Sail Away guests are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to a higher category stateroom based on availability at check in. Please note that as our best available rates offer, Sail Away Rates cannot be combined with other offers and promotions, such as Free at Sea.

I would love to know if you get upgraded. Anyone else have any experience with this? I don't sail until late October.

WTang please let us know how this turn out. I also booked a guarantee (called sail away) OX and was also automatically assigned a room. My problem is that nothing else in the oceanview category is showing available to pick and balconies are sold out. There are categories higher available but they are out of my price range.

Hi Cruise4Twos. I actually ended up cancelling my Norwegian booking and I rebooked with Celebrity because a great deal came along. It was the same sail dates, the same itinerary, similar cabin (interior), but at a lower price. Plus my Celebrity booking wasn't a "guarantee" so I got to pick my cabin. To be honest, if the Celebrity deal hadn't come along, I would have kept my Norwegian booking even though my interior cabin (5100, all the way at the front of the ship) wasn't ideal. I just felt odd that I was assigned a cabin immediately after my TA booked an "inside guarantee". When I booked guarantees in the past, they were usually assigned very close to sailing, or even upon checking in at the dock.

As far as upgrading or changing your cabin assignment for your OX booking, I'm not sure you can do that. I think that's the risk you take with booking a guarantee... sometimes you get an undesirable cabin. But you can always call your TA and/or Norwegian to ask. As a last resort you can also ask at the dock when you are checking in to see if there are any other available cabins in the same class that you can switch to for free.

Good luck.

You can select them but by definition an *X is a GTY cabin.
Not any more. They used to call the X categories "Guarantee" whatever, but as Demonyte said, that was an oversimplification and it led to many people being confused and spreading misinformation like "guarantee bookings don't get Free At Sea perks".

Now they have chosen to stop using the incorrect/misleading label "Guarantee Inside/Oceanview/etc." and rebrand the X categories as "Sail Away" categories. So while certain posters earlier in this thread sort of had a point when they said that "by definition an X is a GTY" (if you consider NCL's descriptive labels to be definitions), (1) the definition was wrong, and (2) the definition no longer exists.

In the same way, look at 8154 or 8754 on Deck 8 of the Breakaway. They are halfway between the forward elevators and the bow. So they are obviously in the fore of the ship. But they are category BB, and NCL's descriptive name for BB is "Mid-Ship Balcony". So I'm sure some people would argue until their dying day that 8154 and 8754 are located mid-ship, "by definition".

Wow...this is an old thread. I'm surprised that it is still around. :eek:

Even more surprised at the amount of misinformation that is being provided from people's desire to "guess". :rolleyes:

FWIW, the OP could easily put this whole topic to rest by simply looking at their cruise invoice from NCL. At the top-right they will see one of two things:

Possibility #1: CATEGORY / STATEROOM: IX/5100

Possibility #2: CATEGORY / STATEROOM: IX-GTY/5100

If it shows #1, then they were simply booked into a Category IX stateroom.

If it shows #2, then they were booked as an Inside Guarantee and assigned to 5100.

Plain and simple.

I'm sorry that there is some bickering going on that's really semantics. Nevertheless, I am happy that this is still around. I am a new member, so it is new to me. I encourage anyone else in this scenario to share the results of your cruise after it occurs regarding whether the room changes or stays the same.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just back from my cruise on board Msc Divina cruising the Caribbean, we where to stop off at Puerto Rico and St Martin but due to the Hurricanes made stop offs at Montego Bay Jamaica and Costa maya Mexico instead and got an extra port off call being the grand Cayman Islands along with an original stop the Bahamas, have to say all beautiful places, just have to mention the people of the two island where we were meant to stop at, so sorry for all they have came through and hopefully they will get to some normality very soon. On our ship Divina all the staff were so nice and always smiling nothing was too much a bother for the when ask anything, only disappointment was people that had booked at the same time as us and where even from the same country as us got upgraded to a balcony cabin al I can say is good luck to them, but we had to make do with and outside cabin. Our cabins Stewart we only ever seen the once was ever so efficient and had our cabin spotless our cabin being 8159, it was handy right beside a lift not the main lifts but one on its own that not everyone use so it was like our own personal one lol, did not have to wait too long on it unlike the main lifts that were so much more crowded. Overall we did have a great cruise and would travel again with Msc, have booked a cruise with NCL going on the Gem from New York around the Caribbean for about 10 days in March can anyone give me some advice and let me know what I'm in for lol, Many Thanks :cool: