Bringing a laptop

newatt_now

I always bring my laptop when I travel, just cuz I luv electronic gizmos, and I want to transfer my daily digital pics from camera to puter.

I, personally, don't do work while on vacation because I try to take the attitude that no one is indispensable. And I try never to take anything or anyone too seriously, not even myself. But heck, some people love to work, it's just a part of their life, so if they choose to work, that's ok by me.

Variety is the spice of life.

Ah, Happy_ks, there's the difference, you're talking about one week vacations and some of us try to do at least two if not three weeks! And heck, I work for my comapny from home, so even if I'm sick they know where to find me..... And when I had to leave for a few funerals in the last year or so, I did get calls and emails while I was away. In my case I'm a department of one person, so I am the only person that folks who need me can go to. DH and I both try to give as much as we can to others at work, but, occasionally, they still need to get hold of us for some obscure thing that only comes up when we're gone. Our vacation in June will be for 3 weeks. If we're lucky, we'll each get 2 or 3 calls/emails that absolutely need answers, if we're unlucky, Murphy's law will take hold and we'll each have to work an average of an hour or so a day.

bummer

Sorry, I have to ask this, even though I am gonna get majorly flamed. :D

If you are on vacation, on a cruise you have planned for many, many months, why take a lap top? I can understand the issues of looking at pictures, That is what the digital is for.

I am just wondering why is all. Should i start a new thread on this?

For us, DH owns a business and staying in touch with customers and such is a necessary hazard. Especially when it is a tech based business with customers world-wide.

If checking in a few times a week ensures the income for a 3 week vacation, I certainly don't have a problem with it.

But downloading the photos, writing a journal...etc. are all great reasons to bring it along. And to be able to email my little nieces pictures from my trip while we're gone is a great way to keep in touch with them....and they get so excited!

And of course the GPS system DH has on his lap top is just really cool! And having our own romantic music in our cabin....yeah, I have no problem with it.

As for the OP and securing the laptops...never had an issue with the cables, and keeping it out of site. I honestly have never worried about leaving it in the cabin.

Best wishes!

~e

And to be able to email my little nieces pictures from my trip while we're gone is a great way to keep in touch with them....and they get so excited!

For those of you who like to people watch....one of the most intriguing, wonderful, poignant things about passing by the computer area in a cruiseship is looking at the faces of those who have just received an email. The engaging smile in their eyes as they are reading the email message is something that comes from somewhere deep within, it's as if they are greeting and hugging their loved one right there and then.

We leave it all at home, take just the camera and a few memory cards, then deal with it all when we get home. We don't even take the camcorder with us anymore, DH said he was tired of spending his vacation behind a camera lens. When we still were self-employed, we organized the business so we weren't needed for the week. We made sure our clients knew we were not available for the week or so.

My DD and I are going on the Carnival Liberty with a pre-cruise in London and post-cruise in Rome and will be gone 22 days. I'm debating about taking a laptop to down load pictures and also to use the wireless connection on the ship to communicate with home. BUT since my laptop is an older model and heavy I worry about lugging it around with me. So I may just take a couple memory cards and a extra battery and leave it at that.

Archived