Senior Review of Liberty of the Seas, February 2017

Just returned from a wonderful cruise February 5, 2017. My husband and I are in our late 60s, in pretty good shape except for some cranky knees and hips. I thought I would give a review from a "senior" point of view.

We arrived a day early in Galveston. Stayed at the Moody Gardens Hotel, a extremely nice hotel, lots of activities for all ages, good price. Only negative-located away from town and restaurants, so you do need to brink snacks or plan to eat at the hotel. I say "good price" because it is for the money. All Galveston hotels now run in the $200 plus range unless you really go budget.

We park across from the port, lots of great parking, van takes you right to terminal with your bags. We book this in advance to save time and get a small discount.

We have cruised 9 times, once before on Liberty. Lines to get on were not so bad this time, although the security process is a challenge and can take a bit of time. Everyone was very nice.

We ate lunch at the café on Promenade, tasty and not crowded ( we don't usually like to fight the Windjammer crowd on first day).

Sailaway is always such a joy, although to my horror, this time we saw several grown women throwing tubes of CONFETTI in the air!!! I was shocked. Confetti literally covered the upper deck, the pool, and then into the ocean. Really? I hope they stop this in the future, please, save the ocean!!! (and the staff had to clean this up on day one)

Sea days were wonderful. We enjoyed lunch in the main dining room, always a treat. Elevators were super crowded, but with so many seniors on board, you just have to make the best of it.

We enjoy sitting and watching the kids (and adults) surfing on the wave pool, the slides look like a ton of fun; pool chairs on first deck stayed pretty full, but upper deck seemed to have openings most of time. I played the slots (and broke even), played Bingo (and lost). I usually take the dance classes, but there didn't seem to be as many on this trip.

This time we paid the $35 each and took the Friday "kitchen tour" which also included a nice lunch. It is interesting and amazing how they deliver all that food and service.

Excursions: We took the Chocolate Tour in Roatan which I highly recommend. Short tour of city, small hike in jungle garden, hands on lesson on making chocolate, then a tasty lunch. In Belize we took the Trolley Tour of the city as we had been before (my husband had done the zip line in the jungle and enjoyed that). The Trolley Tour came with lots of pirates jumping onboard and singing, rum tasting, a short fun thing to do.

Entertainment on ship: I recommend every single thing they have. We have never been disappointed. The "In the Air" show is Vegas quality, as is "Saturday Night Fever" (although there is a suicide element in the show, so maybe not for younger children). The Ice Shows are not to be missed and we were so lucky to catch the Texas Tenors this time. Since there are no "tickets" we always just got there 30 minutes early for best seating.

It was a bit chilly this trip, I should have taken more long sleeves (except for Roatan and Cozumel where I was finally warm). Of course, the kids were in the pool on day one, so this is for sure a senior thing.

Galveston port was closed due to fog when we got back, just one of those things. Got off a bit late. That always causes some confusion.

Only negatives-ship was full, seemed more crowded everywhere than our past cruises, not sure why. You just have to smile and stay positive.

Happy Cruising..

I forgot one thing (senior moment ;) We don't drink a lot, but I did order a margarita on the rocks in the main DR. Wowza! The BEST margarita I have ever had! Wish I could find a place to duplicate that here at home. (And they had a special on them at Olive or Twist the next day!)

Thanks for the review we did Liberty last April and will repeat this April, very happy that you liked Moody Gardens since we will be there for the 1st time on this trip, we always love the Ice show and even looking forward to seeing Saturday night fever for a second times and we are picky about entertainment and plays we see 4 or 5 Broadway show every year in NYC plus a few in DFW, I can also relate to any knee problems

Appreciate the review. We are considering the Cafe Promenade on embarkation day in April instead of the buffet. It is so difficult getting through there (buffet) with an electric wheelchair and all the crowds.

Are there any other places open on embarkation day?

It;s too bad RCCL doesn't have a plan like another cruise line where you can pay a fee and when you get on the ship your cabin is ready. It would be great for us.