Stingrays - Belize or Grand Cayman?

manlie

I would like to show my BF how cool the stingrays are on our upcoming cruise (Valor-Western) and was wondering how the 2 places compare. I have seen them in Grand Cayman and know how incredible they are there (very friendly and many of them) but am interested in seeing/swimming with sharks also. I want him to have the best expereince with them as possible. Has anyone been to both these places to offer a comparison?

We did both last year. In my opinion, GC is soooooo much better! The water is shallower, the current was non-existant in GC, while in Belize it was strong coming in over that reef. (I hear that sometimes it isn't, I'd bet the tides make the difference.) The rays at GC were more plentiful and we were able to touch and kiss them. (7 years good luck.) The excursion operators at both places were great. (We did the Buccaneer at GC and Belize Rays at Belize.) In Belize we only saw the sharks for a brief time. They swam off once we got in the water.

For my money, I would do Stingray City in GC and then go cave tubing in Belize.

I agree that Grand Cayman is much better. We did the stingray excursion with Nativeway last year for only $30 per person and had the time of our lives! It was by far the best excursion we've been on.:D My brother and his wife wanted to snorkel in Grand Cayman, so they did the stingray/shark excursion in Belize. They were disappointed that the sharks were very skittish and took off the moment they got into the water. They said that they enjoyed the Belize rays excursion but after comparing notes with us they wished they had done it in Grand Cayman instead. The water in Grand Cayman was calmer, there were many, many more rays there, the rays were much tamer allowing you to handle them more, and the water was only waist deep. The water in Belize is pretty deep, the rays aren't as tame, and they've got many more waves. I agree that the best bet is doing the stingrays in GC and then the cave tubing in Belize. You'll love the cave tubing in Belize, it's awesome!;)

Thanks everyone! I would love to be able to swim with sharks (docile ones :D ) but from what I have read their isn't much opportunity on this particular excursion. I think we will do the 4x4 Jeep tour instead and leave the stingrays (and mudslides from Rum Point) for GC.

Thanks everyone! I would love to be able to swim with sharks (docile ones :D ) but from what I have read their isn't much opportunity on this particular excursion. I think we will do the 4x4 Jeep tour instead and leave the stingrays (and mudslides from Rum Point) for GC.

Watch out! Those mudslides are $10 a pop american!!! :eek: Sure adds up and they don't give you american change - only Cayman. Bring small bills.

Archived