Vancouver short stay

camper49

There are lots of restaurants within a short walk - say 10-15 minutes at a leisurely pace - from the Westin. Knowing what kinds of food you love/hate, how much you're happy to spend, how far you're happy to walk/pay for a cab and what kind of 'stuff to do' interests you all modify the best recommendations (e.g. if you wanted to attend a show or movie, I'd recommend restos near the theatre rather than the hotel).

There are lots of restaurants within a short walk - say 10-15 minutes at a leisurely pace - from the Westin. Knowing what kinds of food you love/hate, how much you're happy to spend, how far you're happy to walk/pay for a cab and what kind of 'stuff to do' interests you all modify the best recommendations (e.g. if you wanted to attend a show or movie, I'd recommend restos near the theatre rather than the hotel).

Walking is fine...dinner nearby...

Is there any place nearby to buy wine?

Some ideas in the Coal Harbour area...

Reservations recommended.

Thoughts...

• 1:30pm wheels down means you will be ready to explore the city at 3pm.
  • depending on your sailing date.... most days will have sunlight until 9pm in the area.
  • Consider a visit to Capilano Suspension Bridge after you check into your hotel. There's a 5pm admission discount and the attraction is much quieter in the early evening. Free shuttle back to the Bayshore leaving at 8:15pm.

Walking is fine...dinner nearby...

Is there any place nearby to buy wine?

Sorry for the delay. If Lyft & Carderos - which are both popular, personally I prefer the former - are a bit steep for your budget, you may want to walk down Denman Street - there are a lot of relative bargains to be had in many styles of food from Asian to Spanish to Pub Grub. The far end - a little over 15mins, ~3/4mile - comes out onto English Bay. The Cactus Club Cafe here offers some excellent views - especially at sunset - as well at a slightly better value point.

Kintaro Ramen, Kingyo Izakaya, Legendary Noodle, Banana Leaf Malaysian (two of these, one on Robson and one on Davie - it's a very popular local chain), Espana for tapas, Three Brits pub are all popular and decent to great examples of their genre locally. Google Map with all listed. White Spot is even closer than any of these - a local chain, family-friendly, with a very broad and good value menu (this would be my pick for a sit-down breakfast if you're not on a B&B rate at the hotel).

There's also a BC Liquor store a wee bit closer on Robson, next to Safeway where you could pick up any other odds & sods you may need for your trip. The Signatures store mentioned above is better if you want high end wine - especially if you want help from staff to pick it - but if you're happy with say $25 a bottle or less there's plenty of choice in the regular BC Liquor stores.

Hello martincath and xlxo! Have followed many of your prolific and thorough suggestions for visitors to your great city. I thank you for your insights!

Would you mind clarifying the timing for a trip to Grouse Mountain & the Capilano Suspension Bridge? We also arrive wheels down in Vancouver at 1:30. The recommendations I have seen with the shuttle timings include seeing Fly Over Canada on the return trip. Now learned there is an after 5 discount and a later shuttle.

If we exclude the Fly Over Canada and we want the after 5 discounts, what would the shuttle timing be to/from with both stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello martincath and xlxo! Have followed many of your prolific and thorough suggestions for visitors to your great city. I thank you for your insights!

Would you mind clarifying the timing for a trip to Grouse Mountain & the Capilano Suspension Bridge? We also arrive wheels down in Vancouver at 1:30. The recommendations I have seen with the shuttle timings include seeing Fly Over Canada on the return trip. Now learned there is an after 5 discount and a later shuttle.

If we exclude the Fly Over Canada and we want the after 5 discounts, what would the shuttle timing be to/from with both stops?

Double-checking assumptions - you want to visit both Grouse & Cap, but ensure you take advantage of the 'after 5pm' Cap discounted entry?

Simple - visit Grouse first, as soon as you get checked-in at your hotel. Depending on customs/immigration, traffic and travel method to downtown, exactly where your hotel is - you may be at Canada Place as early as 2:30 or up to an hour after that. Regardless, it will be too early to get into Cap cheaper. As long as you leave Grouse on their last shuttle (6:30pm) you'll have enough time at Cap - whose new extended schedule sees the last shuttle to downtown leave at 8:15pm.

The downside of this is you miss out on sunset at Grouse - since regardless of when you're visiting, the whole of cruise season has sunset much later than 6:30pm which is the latest to leave Grouse. Maybe that's not a big deal to you - English Bay and many other spots around Vancouver also get great sunset views - but since Grouse stays open until 10pm (last trip down the Skyride gondola) I thought I'd mention the possibility.

Take shuttles out of the equation and use transit - $2.75pp any day after 6:30pm and always that price on buses - and you could instead Do Stuff Downtown (e.g. FlyOverCanada), then go to Cap for 5pm, then go to Grouse for dinner and stay the rest of the evening. NB: showtimes at Grouse need to be considered if you do this as some will be finished for the day if you show up at 7ish.

Edited by martincath
spacing

More options! Thank-you. Wondered how you get back to Vancouver if not taking the shuttle. Now I know!

I do love sunsets and read about the English Bay views. I also read that you get free admission on the sky ride or whatever at Grouse mtn if advance reservation at the fine dining restaurant. Looking at the menu, it appears you could eat for a very nominal extra amount. Seems to make ( practical) sense. Combine with a sunset and we've hit all the marks for that day?

*or* for $90+/- more would I be gaining a better experience by either eliminating the 'free' dinner and experiencing the city that night? ( we do have 2 other nights' stay) To consider: we are flying in from the east coast, so it is a long day. Easy or active, those are our choices!

FWIW: Still considering hotels!

Looking at Booking.com in USD for May 26th with availability from popular options....

• $149 Days Inn » 3 blocks from cruise terminal, check online reviews for potential issues
  • $176 Holiday Inn downtown
  • $182 Rosedale » love the larger suite rooms
  • $198 Blue Horizon » a forum fav for value travelers. Great restaurant options on Robson
  • $210 Sutton Place
  • $233 Sutton Grande Residence
  • $257 Georgia Court
  • $266 Carmana Plaza
  • $266 Hampton Inn downtown » a fav for Hilton point collectors
  • $274 Metropolitan
  • $282 Sheraton Wall Centre
  • $282 Marriot Pinnacle » 5 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $286 L'Hermitage
  • $297 Hyatt » Capilano Shuttle shop
  • $305 Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
  • $312 Delta Marriott » suites with 5 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $312 Westin Grande
  • $340 Shangri-La
  • $378 Fairmont Waterfront » you sleep across from the cruise terminal
  • $389 Westin Bayshore
  • $389 Pan Pacific » you sleep above the cruise terminal
  • $427 Fairmont Pacific Rim
  • $432 Pinnacle Harborfront
  • $434 Rosewood
  • $439 Four Seasons

While some love to stay at the Pan Pacific for ultimate convenience to the cruise terminal and Cap/Grouse shuttles. Value travelers will want to look to Rosedale or Blue Horizon for multi-night savings. The cab ride with luggage to the cruise terminal will be $10.

For additional savings.... check out the YWCA. Enter your travel dates for availability. Pay attention to the rate and whether a bathroom is shared.

https://ywcavan.org/hotel

@JenZ: What do you think?

Which nights do you need a hotel? If you share your dates, I can provide options with availability.

Well, truth be told ( sheepish grin): I have three cancellable reservations for two nights 5/26-27; and I keep checking to find better places at better pricing, as I learn more about Vancouver and the activities we plan to do. We are cruising with another couple who don't arrive or depart the same as we do. They will only have one full day to tour, and we will do the HOHO, Gastown, Granville island, Stanley Park run that day. My DH wants to go to the Maritime Museum so will fit that in that day as well.

Sharing the two nights pre-cruise, and we are on our own one night post cruise (6/4- I booked a great deal- just a bit/$30 or so more than my ore-cruise hotels, prepaid/non-refundable on Hotwire as I decided I wanted a 5 star hotel for a big send off/ great views/close walking tours to enjoy Vancouver in a more casual way for the last day; maybe rent bikes, do walking tours; savor food and drink!)

So for the two nights pre-cruise, the hotels I have booked are all the same price, so location and quality are the differentiators. Both of those criteria are in the eye of the beholder! 1) Sheraton Wall Center ( booked under birth year special but our friends couldn't get that special 2) Rosellen Suites by Stanley Park ( location great, not impressed with decor, don't think we need the kitchen, and it seems that the lack of front desk may be more awkward for our friends who won't arrive at hotel until 10:30 PM or so) 3) Sutton Place ( on a sale day; thinking having a 24/7 lobby, restaurant/ bar will make it more relaxing for us all)

Love learning from the locals, so all thoughts are welcome!

Location wise.... I like Sutton as the first choice for Robson street restaurant choices and amenities. Wall Centre is my second choice as it's a few blocks away.

Sutton also has a regular Japadog stand outside.

@Jenz: Looking at your date situation.... I recommend going to Grouse on your post-cruise day where you can stay into the evening for the Sunset after the afternoon shows.

• Go to Capilano on your first day/evening and then possibly Fly Over Canada afterwards.
  • If your friends want to see Capilano too.... they can end their HO day early at 4:30pm for the shuttle to Cap.

pJdkKFNLYOE rx-ClLHK3Yg RJZcYalXkPg zutUe_0X3PA j1CrFihPqP0

More options! Thank-you. Wondered how you get back to Vancouver if not taking the shuttle. Now I know!

I do love sunsets and read about the English Bay views. I also read that you get free admission on the sky ride or whatever at Grouse mtn if advance reservation at the fine dining restaurant. Looking at the menu, it appears you could eat for a very nominal extra amount. Seems to make ( practical) sense. Combine with a sunset and we've hit all the marks for that day?

*or* for $90+/- more would I be gaining a better experience by either eliminating the 'free' dinner and experiencing the city that night? ( we do have 2 other nights' stay) To consider: we are flying in from the east coast, so it is a long day. Easy or active, those are our choices!

If your stomachs can handle waiting until 11pm EST to eat dinner then Sunset meal in the Observatory is a great option thanks to the included SkyRide - but do look at what other activities on Grouse you might want to take part in, as the 'add-ons' cost a few bucks more when paid on-site compared to purchasing in advance as a combo ticket. Unless you wanted to add on all of the extras (chair lift to the peak, Eye of the Wind, etc) it's probably still a much better deal to have dinner + free ride though! Post-cruise Grouse does make more sense, as at least your tums have adapted to local timezone so dinner at 8pm shouldn't be traumatic. Resto is very good quality - there's obviously a bit of an upcharge due to the 'view premium' so the same funds spent in, say, a Gastown resto like L'Abattoir would give you an even better meal - but you can book it on OpenTable and while you're there check out the MANY very positive opinions. I'd book online, then call them ASAP and play the Special Occasion card to maximise the chance of a window seat!

Hotel-wise, the only one I've ever stayed in is the YWCA on a vacation before moving - excellent place if you don't need fripperies - so I'll stick to location/rating comparisons. Sutton vs Wall - yeah, not really much to choose from location-wise and which is best depends exactly where you're walking to at the time. Both are theoretically 4* in terms of amenities, but Sutton has two distinct 'wings' one of which gets better reviews than the other - so a bargain room rate is very likely to have you in one those less-desirable rooms. Rosellen wouldn't even be on my radar if it's priced the same, it's a big step down in every aspect except closeness to the Park. If you keep one of these tree, I'd plump for the Wall (but if it was me, I'd be at the Y and spending all the savings on better dinners!)

If your stomachs can handle waiting until 11pm EST to eat dinner then Sunset meal in the Observatory is a great option thanks to the included SkyRide - but do look at what other activities on Grouse you might want to take part in, as the 'add-ons' cost a few bucks more when paid on-site compared to purchasing in advance as a combo ticket. Unless you wanted to add on all of the extras (chair lift to the peak, Eye of the Wind, etc) it's probably still a much better deal to have dinner + free ride though! Post-cruise Grouse does make more sense, as at least your tums have adapted to local timezone so dinner at 8pm shouldn't be traumatic. Resto is very good quality - there's obviously a bit of an upcharge due to the 'view premium' so the same funds spent in, say, a Gastown resto like L'Abattoir would give you an even better meal - but you can book it on OpenTable and while you're there check out the MANY very positive opinions. I'd book online, then call them ASAP and play the Special Occasion card to maximise the chance of a window seat!

Hotel-wise, the only one I've ever stayed in is the YWCA on a vacation before moving - excellent place if you don't need fripperies - so I'll stick to location/rating comparisons. Sutton vs Wall - yeah, not really much to choose from location-wise and which is best depends exactly where you're walking to at the time. Both are theoretically 4* in terms of amenities, but Sutton has two distinct 'wings' one of which gets better reviews than the other - so a bargain room rate is very likely to have you in one those less-desirable rooms. Rosellen wouldn't even be on my radar if it's priced the same, it's a big step down in every aspect except closeness to the Park. If you keep one of these tree, I'd plump for the Wall (but if it was me, I'd be at the Y and spending all the savings on better dinners!)

Hello,

It's me again with another few questions. :D

We have Grouse on our itinerary for an evening. None of us care to get dressed up for dinner and prefer a more casual atmosphere but are considering the swanky Observatory due to the value of having the Skyride being included. How dressy is appropriate?

We are looking also at Peak Chairlift and The Eye of the Wind. It is my understanding that these would be add-on's if we did the Observatory dinner deal? In your opinion, are the Peak Chairlift and The Eye of the Wind worth spending the time and money? These are only $4 more for access to the Peak Chairlift and $14 more for access to all 3 than for just the ticket for the Skyride (if we don't do the dinner deal). All this will factor in as to whether we just opt for the experience and catch dinner elsewhere.

Thanks again for your guidance!

Kathy

@FunKat: Thoughts....

• when I was there decades ago..... there was lots of people not dressed up. You may want to give the restaurant a call if dressing up is a requirement and/or you will feel out of place.
  • in addition to the Eye of the Wind vid above.... you can see in this vid that the Peak chairlift gives you a bigger vista of the city. If you feel the view from the chalet is not good enough.... you pay extra at the guest services for the Peak experience.

eI00FFhdm3A

Back before the Olympics there was a nominal dress code of Business Casual, and specifically no jeans or winter boots (you can find a review from 2009 where a nationally-renowned food critic was astounded at this, given it's a SKI RESORT!!!). Oddly enough I've haven't heard a sniff of a dress code ever since and there remains no mention on the website. Every resto in Vancouver with a dress code in the last decade or so has failed - it's just not something that many locals tolerate. For the snobs who are upset if they see someone else not dressed up, private clubs are the only way to guarantee not seeing the undesirables.

While personally I'm a shirt & khakis guy so it's never been something I'd have fallen foul of anyway, I know multiple folks who have gone straight from the slopes in clompy boots and ski gear - and in warmer weather, who have done the Grind to burn calories before treating themselves to a meal; those folks are rolling in wearing sweaty athletic gear and not being turned away! I'd say that MOST folks dining here - or in any of the other high end spots around the area - tend to be a mix of 'Smart Casual' and 'Dressed Fancy' depending on whether it's a special occasion dinner for them or just a regular night out. But there's always a lot of open necks and dressy jeans on display.

Peak Chairlift and Eye of the Wind - personally I haven't done either as I intensely dislike chairlifts so I can't say whether it's worth the fee or not. I should mention that even in summer the chairlift is stopped for windy conditions, so there's no guarantee it will be available on any given day.

@FunKat: Thoughts....

• when I was there decades ago..... there was lots of people not dressed up. You may want to give the restaurant a call if dressing up is a requirement and/or you will feel out of place.
  • in addition to the Eye of the Wind vid above.... you can see in this vid that the Peak chairlift gives you a bigger vista of the city. If you feel the view from the chalet is not good enough.... you pay extra at the guest services for the Peak experience.

eI00FFhdm3A

Thanks. I enjoyed the video.

Back before the Olympics there was a nominal dress code of Business Casual, and specifically no jeans or winter boots (you can find a review from 2009 where a nationally-renowned food critic was astounded at this, given it's a SKI RESORT!!!). Oddly enough I've haven't heard a sniff of a dress code ever since and there remains no mention on the website. Every resto in Vancouver with a dress code in the last decade or so has failed - it's just not something that many locals tolerate. For the snobs who are upset if they see someone else not dressed up, private clubs are the only way to guarantee not seeing the undesirables.

While personally I'm a shirt & khakis guy so it's never been something I'd have fallen foul of anyway, I know multiple folks who have gone straight from the slopes in clompy boots and ski gear - and in warmer weather, who have done the Grind to burn calories before treating themselves to a meal; those folks are rolling in wearing sweaty athletic gear and not being turned away! I'd say that MOST folks dining here - or in any of the other high end spots around the area - tend to be a mix of 'Smart Casual' and 'Dressed Fancy' depending on whether it's a special occasion dinner for them or just a regular night out. But there's always a lot of open necks and dressy jeans on display.

Peak Chairlift and Eye of the Wind - personally I haven't done either as I intensely dislike chairlifts so I can't say whether it's worth the fee or not. I should mention that even in summer the chairlift is stopped for windy conditions, so there's no guarantee it will be available on any given day.

Thanks again for the info.

In the videos that I have seen, I can hear the wind whipping around them. So, it doesn't surprise me that wind may be a factor on the chairlift. Thanks for pointing that out, though, as I hadn't really thought about the possibility of cancellations.

Since our normal dress should be adequate, I plan for us to do the dinner at The Observatory and then possibly pay to upgrade to the Peak Chairlift & Eye of the Wind, if weather permits.

Thanks again,

Kathy

Thanks again for the info.

In the videos that I have seen, I can hear the wind whipping around them. So, it doesn't surprise me that wind may be a factor on the chairlift. Thanks for pointing that out, though, as I hadn't really thought about the possibility of cancellations.

Since our normal dress should be adequate, I plan for us to do the dinner at The Observatory and then possibly pay to upgrade to the Peak Chairlift & Eye of the Wind, if weather permits.

Thanks again,

Kathy

Please come back & tell us how it was - they changed exec chef less than a year ago and I'm still unfamiliar with the new guy's work.