Question about using ATT cell phone for texting/IM on NCL PEARL

cruisematesforever

NCL provided the following information about this subject: "Cell phone roaming is enabled on the Norwegian Pearl, however, the system can be pricey as the price plans feature international roaming rates and data charges (this can be very expensive). Contact your mobile phone operator to ensure that your account is activated for international roaming and inquire as to per minute rates, per text message rates and data charges -- the costs are not cheap."

Question 1: My ATT cell phone plan includes international roaming. My ATT plan says that if I am texting ( to someone who is also on my plan) the incoming texts are free and outgoing texts are 50 cents each. Has anyone actually used ATT international roaming and found this to be true??

2. Is the cell phone roaming strength on the Pearl strong enough to use comfortably?...or would you recommend buying an internet/wifi package?

We are sailing on the Pearl March 23-April 3...Panama Canal and need to be able to contact home via text. THANK YOU!

We have AT&T without an international plan, and need to be in contact with family back home. What we do is: call forward all calls home or to our daughter; turn off wi fi and data: that leaves the phone open for text messages. It is 50 cents to send a plain text, and 0 to receive. AT&T also has free calling from Mexico, but you must call ahead and have it added to your plan. Signal was good, althought spotty at times when inside our inside cabin.

Safe sailing

PS we did that cruise on New Years, and it was fantastic---Enjoy

I have gophone version and same $.00 in but $.50 out. However, on Dawn (Dec/Mexico), I discovered that I could use hangouts for free (within ship to/from DH and to/from family not on AT&T in the states--airplane mode with Wi-Fi on) by using the free ship Wi-Fi (set up for iConcierge). Recently read another poster could do the same (don't remember which ship) using iMessage. You might want try it.

Nexus 9

I have gophone version and same $.00 in but $.50 out. However, on Dawn (Dec/Mexico), I discovered that I could use hangouts for free (within ship to/from DH and to/from family not on AT&T in the states--airplane mode with Wi-Fi on) by using the free ship Wi-Fi (set up for iConcierge). Recently read another poster could do the same (don't remember which ship) using iMessage. You might want try it.

Nexus 9

iMessage does work on the ship wifi free version for iConcierge, however, you have to be on the same billing plan for this to work. I have 5 phones and 2 iPads on 1 AT&T plan, and 1 on another for work, it only works on the 5 phones and 2 iPads on the 1 plan.

Hangouts isn't limited in that way, but it is good for iPhone users to know this--if they don't already know. Also, I can't say that any of the "free wifi" texting works on all NCL ships. Google mail used to work on Epic four or five years ago then the hole was plugged intentionally or otherwise. Hangouts messaging on the Dawn was much more effective than the communication aspects of iConcierge on our past experiences --and, free, of course.

Nexus 9

To OP, if you current AT&T plan includes/support int'l texting / IM at whatever the charges are (free / 50 cents per msg.) - it should be fine. Just be sure to turn OFF cellulalar/roaming DATA as you do not want that enabled while connected to the ship's WiFi (paid inTERnet and/or free inTRAnet for iConicerge app use) Settings should be fine tuned to your specific devices, when in doubt - turn it on Airplane Mode first & then turn back on other settings per instructions, and, see the ship's Internet Cafe manager during posted hours for help, when s/he isn't busy with a line, typically will be happy to do a quick check & look at your settings, especially for popular devices like iPhones, LG's and Samsungs (aside from the banned ones)

The "known" loophole for getting free SMS/texting & IM on iPhones and some Android devices are just that, backdoor "access" that should've been blocked & not allowed, enjoy it if you can use it but don't count on or expect it to continue to work.

Also, prepaid plans from MNVO operators, including Simple Mobile & Walmart Mobile/Straight Talk, etc. generally do NOT get access to free SMS, IM or basic texting services - and, definitely no cellular data access at all while connected to the ship's tower, where both data and cellular signals and routed via satellite-based relays to land towers.

Obviously, you will need to find land-based paid or "free" WiFi (and, cellular data, based on your plan & coverage, optional add-ons, etc.) once docked in "foreign" or non-US ports, as exclusions and charges varied and carrier-specific.

The "known" loophole for getting free SMS/texting & IM on iPhones and some Android devices are just that, backdoor "access" that should've been blocked & not allowed, enjoy it if you can use it but don't count on or expect it to continue to work.

Absolutely!

Nexus 9