New to Silversea

marama

Hello everyone, we are preparing to book our first Silversea cruise and can't wait. I wonder, does anyone know whether Silversea permits embarkation mid-cruise ? Its just that we live in the mediterranean and some ports are more convenient to get to than others! I know that its usually a 'no 'no' but just thought it was worth checking. Silversea calls at our home port of Valletta - or nearby - and it would be wonderful to be able to board at or nearer home.

Hello everyone, we are preparing to book our first Silversea cruise and can't wait. I wonder, does anyone know whether Silversea permits embarkation mid-cruise ? Its just that we live in the mediterranean and some ports are more convenient to get to than others! I know that its usually a 'no 'no' but just thought it was worth checking. Silversea calls at our home port of Valletta - or nearby - and it would be wonderful to be able to board at or nearer home.

Just saying you live in Valletta is enough to make us green with envy. That said I think your thought of a "no no" is probably correct but then again I've seen people join the cruise after the initial port and also leave early so obviously arrangements can be made. Really only Silversea can answer your question.

Hello Marama,

This will also be our first Silversea cruise. We'll be on the Muse and one of our stops will be your home port of Valletta.

Just wondering if you might share with us any of the "not to be missed" places.

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for your replies, I will certainly make a few enquiries. So many cruises come through Valletta and its so annoying that cruise lines have so little variation - always Barcelona/Rome/Venice/Athens.

Roomic, I would say don't miss the sail in and out - this harbour is drop dead gorgeous. I'm happy to answer any questions but highlights for me would be a stroll around Valletta and its Upper Barrakka Garden to take in the Grand Harbour view - followed by a coffee in the little cafe there or under the umbrellas in Queen's Square in the centre of town. The Palace just next to Queen's square is a beautiful building if you have time to go round it.

Anyone who finds much walking a challenge can pick up a little electric 'smart cab' from outside St John's Cathedral (The St Johns Street side) They are inexpensive and will do you a little tour around the Valletta area if you wish.

To reach Valletta, turn right when you leave the ship and walk for 10 minutes keeping the harbour on your right until you see the Barrakka Lift (On your left) It is just before the road goes into a little tunnel. Pay at the bottom - the trip down is free!

If you fancy a quick spin on the Grand Harbour, instead of taking the Barrakka lift, turn right, onto the harbour front. There you will find the public ferry across to the 3 cities (the original settlement built before Valletta). The ride takes 5-10 minutes each way and its a lovely trip! Pay onboard and buy a return.

Out of Town Mdina the medieval walled city is not to be missed - really lovely and quite spectacular. Its about a 20-30 minute drive in a taxi, possibly around 20 euros but I don't know for sure, it could be a little more, but not much. The White taxis that you pick up on the street are more expensive so if you can book Ecabs or Wembley (I believe that both have a website) to meet you and take you there its better.

I hope this is helpful, enjoy Valletta, such a lovely city and I never tire of it!