CB alternate cruise director?

kdinkus1

Hello everyone! We age going on our first Princess cruise in less than 3 weeks (YEAH!!) and heard that the 'famous' Bert Stratton will be on vacation. We are really disappointed because we have heard great things about him but I guess he needs a vacation too...:rolleyes: Anyway, does anyone know who will be his replacement? If so, what have you heard? We are so excited it won't matter too much but the cruise director can make the cruise much more fun! Thanks for any info!

Not sure I fully understand the title of your post. Bert is not he cruise director - he's an entertainer who puts on nightly shows in the Crooner's Lounge (when he's not on vacation).

I was on the 10/29/05 sailing of the CB. The cruise director and his assistants were all British (I think this is fairly typical for Princess). His name was Michael or something like that I think. He was "okay" and his two female assistants (Lisa and Michelle if I recall correctly) were energetic and entertaining.

But I'm not the right guy to comment on whether a cruise director is a really good one or not. I don't tend to go to the sponsored/structured functions that the cruise director's staff organizes - I'm quite oblivious (happily so) to that aspect of a cruise.

I think James Lay is the current cruise director on the CB. We've been on two cruises with him and I would consider him "average' as a cruise director. He has received mixed reviews on these boards.

I am like Phaelon56, the cruise director will neither make or break my cruise. I don't attend that many of the organized functions.

I also am not overly fond of Bert Stratton. On our first CB cruise, which was the original planned innagural cruise (two weeks after the revised first cruise) we spent a lot of time at Crooner's as we were friends with the bartenders. I just didn't care for his style. But that's just me. There are a lot of people who really like him.

Yes - that was it - James Lay. Although I'm more or less indifferent I did like the styel of the director we had on the Grand when I cruised in 2003. I'm another in the camp of non-Bertophiles. But that said - he is immensely talented and I understand why so many people like him. He's just not my cuppa tea but the same could be said for all the other live musical entertainment on board.

I like Princess as a relaxing vacation which is a good value but was not terribly impressed by the entertainment (except for Dan Horn - the comedic ventriloquist - he was a great ventroloquist and also a very funny comedian).

Stuffy sort you know, that's as British as I can get. lol James is good but I liked Graham more. That said James is more GP. And my sense of humour is a little bent. So that's why I say Graham. Next trip is on the Crown so I guess we will see whom we get as CD. Lots of folks have said it doesn't matter who it is. I agree with that. Just go and have a great time. I must say that Bert is good but don't let the whole cruise be ruined just cause Bert wasn't there . Or the people saying that "you should have been here next week when he comes back." I too have seen him a few times and yes he is good but it's the same thing night after night. I know the Bert haters will get me.

Cruise director James on the CB, IMHO is definately overpaid and definately not overworked. His "Deputy" CD Lisa and "her" crew did all the work and James came on for a few minutes and took all the glory. My "fun" cruise doesn't depend on the cruise director either, but this time his absence was well noted.

Yes - that was it - James Lay. Although I'm more or less indifferent I did like the styel of the director we had on the Grand when I cruised in 2003. I'm another in the camp of non-Bertophiles. But that said - he is immensely talented and I understand why so many people like him. He's just not my cuppa tea but the same could be said for all the other live musical entertainment on board.

I like Princess as a relaxing vacation which is a good value but was not terribly impressed by the entertainment (except for Dan Horn - the comedic ventriloquist - he was a great ventroloquist and also a very funny comedian).

I agree with you ..we were on the same cuise and thought Dan Horn was great...not an act to be missed!!

Archived