Snorkeling in Costa Maya

ELA

We are a family of 4 with two teenage girls. We would like a beach with decent snorkeling. We don't care about food and other activities as much (but we don't mind the sport activities).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are a family of 4 with two teenage girls. We would like a beach with decent snorkeling. We don't care about food and other activities as much (but we don't mind the sport activities).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are always snorkeling tours off the beach in Mahahual they take you to by boat that are excellent. You also have the option to go north to mayan beach garden there is good snorkeling there however the beaches are not pristine as they are not cleaned of trash. Snorkeling in town you will see fish but not in huge numbers. There are areas you can swim across the channel and the snorkeling is acceptable but nothing compared to other areas. I'm sure others know more locations.

Ship excursions for snorkeling usually head to Uvero Beach. It's north of the cruise port near Mayan Beach Gardens. Decent but not the best snorkeling. Better than the malecon beaches, but more expensive. I don't know if MBG has options for cruisers. You'll need to take a taxi there. It's a half an hour ride.

As mentioned above, the better snorkeling is off shore. Fantastic reefs. Northern part of the great barrier reefs off the coast of Belize. Check shoreexcursioner for private vendor tours.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year we went to Nohoch Kay. We had our own gear so we snorkeled a bit off the beach there....it wasn't amazing, but we had amazing in Roatan as far as snorkeling goes! There was a nice variety of colorful fish for sure. We loved it there in general. It was an easy taxi ride, and quiet....only a couple of other families. They had kayaks that my boys enjoyed. The food was so good...fish tacos as well as chicken and guacomole that was amazing and the Mexican beer was always cold and replenished as needed! Everyone that worked there was super nice and happy.

• 2 months later...
My daughter and I booked a snorkeling trip from Doctor Dive and then will head back to spend the day at Tropicante for some relaxation and fun.

How was the snorkeling trip with Doctor Dive?

• 2 weeks later...
Suggestions for good snorkel excursion through Royal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Royal's( and all cruise ships) snorkel excursion head to Uvero Beach. It's a ways north of the cruise port and has a little iron shore a short ways out. You can't go there on your on though. Any snorkeling along the malecon, or south to Maya Chan or Almaplena is not going to be that great from the shore, very sandy and lots of sea grass is common. You'll need to take a boat out to the dive spots wich are excellent, btw, if you dive.