Rhapsody 12/11 and Dolphin Swim in Cozumel

Sadly, I have just discovered yesterday that the Dolphin Swim Experience Excursion we had booked for Cozumel has been cancelled by RCCL. I know it's not their fault, but we are extremely disappointed. I was reading somewhere on another website called www.cometocozumel.com (the local website for tours, excursions, etc.) that Channkanaab (which is where I thought this excursion was taking place) would be re-opening in December but RCCL told me the area where the dolphins are has been damaged and would not be open again for a year (of course, those people work in a call center and probably know nothing of what is actually going on). I think that's a bit premature to cancel our excursion so early especially if it might actually be open by December. Has anyone else's excursion been cancelled??

We had the dolphin swim booked with Shore Trips for our December 17th cruise. They emailed me today to tell me it won't be open in time but we had the option of taking a ferry to Playa del Carmen to do the dolphin swim there. I don't have any other information but I did email them back to find out how long the ferry ride is, etc.

Yes. Our Royal Dolphin Swim scheduled for Jan. 6 was cancelled last week. Here is the e-mail from Cozumel Insider:

Hi Blythe,

Sorry for the delays and thanks for your patience as communication lines are being restored here on the island. Chankanaab Park suffered severe damage from Hurricane Wilma and the dolphin arena will take several months to rebuild. Therefore, I am cancelling your Cozumel dolphin reservation. No charges were made to your Credit Card for this activity. If you ship is making a stop in the Mayan Riviera area (Playa del Carmen or Calica) and you would like to rebook your dolphin activity, please let me know. I can try and make arrangements at another dolphin park which is only about a 15 minute taxi ride from these ports.

If your ship will be docking in Cozumel, we have many other tours/activites that we would be happy to set up for you. If not we hope to hear from you again should your future travel plans include Cozumel.

Jacqueline

http://www.cozumelinsider.com

(My daughter is devastated. She has been wanting to do this for such a long time! We'll just have to come to Cozumel again!)

We had the dolphin swim booked with Shore Trips for our December 17th cruise. They emailed me today to tell me it won't be open in time but we had the option of taking a ferry to Playa del Carmen to do the dolphin swim there. I don't have any other information but I did email them back to find out how long the ferry ride is, etc.

If you find out, could you please let me know? I might be interested in doing that as well because we were really really looking forward to that. Although I don't exactly know how to go about booking something "on our own" because I'm afraid of getting left behind if we don't book something with RCCL.

Archived