Capt Bryan Stingray review 11/8/05

Raceroc

We booked our stingray city tour with Captain Bryan several months before our trip on the Carnival Miracle 11/06/05. Booking online was simple.

We went down to the tender location early and walked straight on the tender (no wait). The tender ride only took a couple minutes. Once we arrived at the pier we walked a couple small blocks to Captain Bryan's meeting spot. A rep from Captain Bryan was already there taking money along with a small group of people waiting for the tour to begin (Disney Magic was the only other ship in port). We paid our remaining balance and waited under a small tarp. About 25 people were split into two small busses (no AC but the windows were down and it was not very hot). We made a quick stop for ice and within a few minutes were at the boat.

We loaded on the tri-hull sail boat and sat around on the deck. The crew consisted of Captain Oscar and one younger guy. Also had a very friendly British Chap taking pictures. Below deck was the "head" if needed. If you brought your own drinks you were allowed to put them in the coolers. A container of cold water was also available. The wind was blowing fairly strong, so we motored out about one mile to the stingray sand bar. Very relaxing ride. We were passed by the Carnival boat carrying about 75 people aboard.

Snorkel gear was available but we brought our own. No shoes of any type were allowed in the water with the rays. The water was warm and very clear. The sting rays were very friendly and would bump into you from all angles. It was easy to catch one to hold in your hands. They also had squid if you wanted to feed them. The water was about 2'-4' deep and was very easy to maneuver in. I took many shots with my underwater digital camera. We stayed here for about half an hour then loaded up.

Next stop Coral Garden. Just a short ride, we set anchor and geared up again. Nice clear water with some coral and lots of fish. We stayed here for about half an hour (seemed like five minutes). More great underwater shots.

Time to head back. Captain Oscar set the sail for the trip back. Very nice ride. We arrived at the dock tipped the guys and jumped on the busses. We were dropped off near the tender point. Here there was plenty of places to shop party or eat...We shopped. Here you don't find any real bargains and no dealing (you pay the price on the tag). Also no street venders begging you to buy stuff. You almost had to beg them to sell you something.

We really enjoyed the stingrays and will go again.

Sorry about the long post...I ramble on sometimes.

If you have any questions...Feel free to ask.

Raceroc,

I have been looking at a couple different operators in Grand Cayman. Was your experience with Capt Bryan good enough to go with him again or would you try another company? Did you find the boat crowded? I am also wondering if you found that you had enough time in the water. I am also looking at Capt Marvin who offers a 3 stop tour. I love the underwater world and don't want to be disappointed.

Thanks for you help.

Tracy

Pandamiles

Yes I would go with Captain Bryan again. They were great!

The boat was not crowded at all. plenty of seating under cover, but we chose to sit on deck with several others. You can even lay on deck to get some sun while sailing out and back.

I never have enough time in the water!!!:eek:

I too am very happy with capt bryans tour. we had the exact same experience last week! I would definately do it again! If you kiss a sting ray, it is supposed to be good luck! they were great and also answered any questions that you have.

We also had a great time with Captain Bryan in October. The whole tour was great and at the snorkel stop some of the kids had gotten bored and the crew let them dive and jump off the boat for a few minutes, which would never be allowed on most tours. Most of the adults were pooped and ready to relax. Sailing back in with the music playing and catching some rays... even the kids were quiet. Then Capt Bryan himself drove us back to the pier.

• 2 months later...

Yes, there were two gentlemen who helped us hold and kiss the rays, as well as a lady taking pictures. We got to see our pictures on board and were given options for purchase. We got a disc which was delivered promptly and was great. Our guides were great!!

I can't remember exactly, but their office is a short walk from the pier, and there was probably someplace. I know we went to the sandwich shop right at the office and had a coke so they should have beer also. Just e-mail them and they can advise you on this.

Was the snorkeling stop off the shore or the kind where you jump into deep water? I have done the latter but think the kids might be intimidated. I would prefer an beach snorkel stop if possible.:confused:

All the snorkeling to Stingray City is off a boat. We did the sandbar first, and everyone can stand there. We later went to the other 2 stops which were in deep water.

Any place to pick up some beer to put in the cooler on the way to the meeting area?

There is something directly to the left of the pier, on the way to their check in place. I know that they sell those delectable rum cakes there. Maybe they also have beer?

Please let me know if they'll pick us up at the pier. Thanks!!!

No, they don't pick you up at the pier. You go left from the pier a few blocks, then across the street to behind the bakery. Their pick-up place is basically a lot with a little stand and a covered picnic table. This is JUST where the get us and then take us to the boat. The boat is great! The excursion is great!

Hope this helps.

Archived