Returned from Sun 11/06 cruise

LTC

Just got home yesterday from the Sun's Houston cruise. Flew into IAH on Sat. night and stayed at Country Inn & Suites in Humble, about a 10 minute drive from the airport. It was $65. and included airport shuttle to motel and breakfast. Left at 10a.m. by taxi for the port. It was a 40 minute drive and cost $82. plus tip. We had a mini-suite and were given a VIP card. Just sat down when they came to take us on the ship. We had to go to the library where we got our keycard and did the paperwork etc. and met the concierge, Anca Zamfir. We were in our cabin before 11 a.m. This is our third time on the Sun and the ship looks great. Because of Texas liquor laws, there is only a limited amount of beer and two wines available until Monday. We had ordered the Romance/Anniversary package and couldn't get the strawberries and sparkling wine until Monday. There was a BBQ leaving Houston which was quite good, but it was the only one. There were some changes in the main dining room menus. President's Night is gone and replaced by Freestyle Night and some of the other menu's had being changed a bit. The food was excellent and even the food in the buffet was very good. On Tuesday, the ship stopped briefly in Cozumel to unload mattress. We were stopped off shore and Cozumel looked pretty bleak. You could see, even from a quarter mile offshore, how heavily damaged the town is. The cruise director was Simon Murray, who I found was just O.K. Thursday night, Jane L Powell preformed-- don't miss her!! For anyone who was planning on buying duty free liquor on the ship, they ran out of some popular brands mid-week. The ship was selling airport transfers to both airports for $20.p/p, but I can't remember if it was only for flights after 12:30. We didn't fly home until Monday, so we took the Houston City Tour which gave us a chance to see some of Houston. The cost was $44.p/p and ended at the airport around 1p.m.

Welcome Home!

What did you think about your mini suite? Where was it located?

So essentially, hard liquor isn't available until Monday? Did you hear anyone talking about having liquor from WellWishers delivered to their cabin?

It sounds as though you had a very nice cruise experience - thank you for taking the time to report into all of us wondering (we are on the Sun in December).

Hi,

We got the boarding cards at the pier. There were signs where to line up ex. Latitudes, suites etc. When you went to one of those spots, you had your ticket checked and then you were given a VIP card.

Our mini-suite was 1207. It was starboard side, forward. It was very comfortable, lots of drawers and cupboard space. Bathroom was large. The balcony was no larger than a balcony cabin with 2 chairs(uncomfortable) and a small table. I don't know about hard liquor - we drink mainly beer and wine, but we were told that any alcohol supplied on board had to be purchased in Texas, until the ship was out of Texas jurisdiction and that's why the supply was limited. Didn't hear anyone mention WellWishers. You'll have a great cruise.

:)

We were on the Sun at same time. Liquor was served Sunday , but limited selections. I guess they buy enough Texas liquor for Sunday and start serving their own inventory on Monday. I've seen it said that Wellwishers

gifts come wrapped up and may make it Sunday because it is not obvious that it is liquor. Can't say for sure. Also , all check-in was done onboard.

We were processed in the Stardust Theatre. When you exited the Theatre your key card was swiped and you were essentially on board at that point.

I agree with LTC, food was pretty good. Better than I expected after all the battering the Sun has been getting.

Overall, a real good cruise.

Woody

Thanks for the quick review. I am sorry to hear that President's night has disappeared! That was my favorite on our Sun cruise. Jane L. Powell is great - I hope we get to see her again on our next Sun cruise.

Archived