Alaska Excursion Question

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has attempted to do two back to back excursions. My DH and I are traveling to Alaska July 9 aboard the Pearl with my DD and 15 year old grandson. My grandson has expressed an interest in doing both a dog sledding excursion and an excursion to Liarsville for gold panning and a salmon dinner on the day we are in Skagway. I can find ship excursions for both interests but they are literally back to back with only 30 minutes between them. I would like to know if anyone has ever tried this and what your experience was. If we are late coming back from the first excursion we will be out of luck for the second as there is no taxi service in Skagway and I doubt our money would be refunded. I have looked at all of the private excursions offered in Skagway and the timing is a problem on all of them. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I can't give any advice about back to back excursions, but we're on the same cruise and we are looking at doing the dog sledding in Juneau rather than Skagway. My oldest is also 15 and if you decide not to push it, he could absolutely join us there.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has attempted to do two back to back excursions. My DH and I are traveling to Alaska July 9 aboard the Pearl with my DD and 15 year old grandson. My grandson has expressed an interest in doing both a dog sledding excursion and an excursion to Liarsville for gold panning and a salmon dinner on the day we are in Skagway. I can find ship excursions for both interests but they are literally back to back with only 30 minutes between them. I would like to know if anyone has ever tried this and what your experience was. If we are late coming back from the first excursion we will be out of luck for the second as there is no taxi service in Skagway and I doubt our money would be refunded. I have looked at all of the private excursions offered in Skagway and the timing is a problem on all of them. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

You can do the dog sledding excursion in Juneau instead of Skagway, it's offered in both cities. I remember we got done early on our Best of Skagway which includes the train, liarsville, salmon lunch, and gold panning. Unfortunately the gold panning is after the show in liarsville. It may be doable though.

In my opinion I would try to do the dog sled excursion in Juneau though, and just stick to one.

The plan to dogsled in Juneau sounds good. But you could also telephone the tour operators you are considering for both the first and second excursions. Explain the dilemma frankly and ask if THEY think it would be do-able. From everything I have read, nearly all of them really try to give good service and you will at least have expert opinions to help you decide. I have phoned or emailed several Alaska providers and always received a prompt. courteous response.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are not able to do the dogsledding in Juneau because we have already booked a trip to the Taku Glacier which conflicts with the time it is offered. I took your advice mamasylvia and called the operators who were very helpful. I was able to change my reservation to the Liarsville camp for gold panning and a salmon dinner to an excursion I had not seen to a Klondike Trail excursion which stops at Liarsville for a steak and eggs lunch and gold panning. This combination gives us a little more time in between excursions though it will be a very full day.