Iceland/Norway ports

snowmc

Earlier today, I saw someone asking for any information on ports for the Iceland/Norway cruise. I can not locate it now. We did this cruise several years ago and I have added my reviews of our ports on my travel blog....http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com I hope it is helpful. I am also happy to answer any questions readers may have. :)

Thanks for posting - we are heading there in April/May so it was good to read about your experience - you should post on the relevant ports of call board too. Nice photos too. :)

We are arriving at midnight and have the next whole to enjoy Iceland and leave very early the following day by 8 AM. Read your review about Reykjavik. Thought why take a tour when I can spend an enjoyable in town as you did but then read further about all you got to see(waterfalls, national park, etc.) Just want to do everything - sounds so wonderful. Thank you for the reviews. Hope to find that wonderful bakery in St. Petersburg.

Thank you very much for sharing your journey with us. Do you use ship excursions or private tours? Specifically for Shetland island. Thanks, irina

We rented a car. It was about a 15 minute walk from the dock. This gave us the freedom to visit several different places and on our own time. There are only a few roads on the island, so it was very easy to make our way. Of course, if you are not comfortable driving, the ship's excursions are also a great idea.

We had plenty of time to explore the town after returning the car. Not much there, but it was fun to wander around and grab some fish and chips before taking the tender back to the ship.

We are arriving at midnight and have the next whole to enjoy Iceland and leave very early the following day by 8 AM. Read your review about Reykjavik. Thought why take a tour when I can spend an enjoyable in town as you did but then read further about all you got to see(waterfalls, national park, etc.) Just want to do everything - sounds so wonderful. Thank you for the reviews. Hope to find that wonderful bakery in St. Petersburg.

We rented a car....quick taxi trip to the rental agency. Made seeing things on our time so much easier. Roads are well marked and very easy to drive. And Reykjavik is very walkable. Nice path along the waterfront.

In St. Petersburg, if you have a private driver, just ask them to take you there. If you are on a larger group tour, I doubt it will be included. This is one city you do not want to try and wander around by yourself. For one thing, it would require a separate tourist visa...expensive and time consuming to get. I would suggest using a private company (not through the cruise line) to hire a private car and driver. We did that with four adults and it was actually cheaper than the cruise excursion. TripAdvisor has lots of good suggestions. As does cruise critic!

Enjoy your travels! And thanks for reading my travel blog and for the nice comments. I really appreciate it! :)