What is the best boat snorkel on Roatan???

Djdarleen

I had heard that Roatan, Honduras had world class snorkeling further away from the cruise ship port area - and wanted to see a mangrove forest up close and personal. I typically check Tripadvisor first, then Cruise Critic if I need more info. I had wanted to take a kayak out through a mangrove forest and snorkel along the reef, and found that this was a one-stop tour that was offered by Upachaya. I spoke with the owner Barb who is very responsive to email, but ultimately settled for her pontoon snorkel tour instead as my wife would have trouble getting in/out of any kayak from the water. Turns out that we were the only two on the excursion that day! Barb gave us a tour of her resort that is truly beautiful and amazing. It's astounding what she's created in the jungle in the few years (around 10 I think) that she's been there. A true entrepreneur pursuing her dreams, she caters to smaller tour groups not exceeding 12 people at a time. She also serves as a trained yoga instructor and provides classroom and retreat facilities. She's dramatically improved the landscape with tropical plants, flowers and fruit trees - all while preserving the mangrove forest on her property. I was fascinated to discover how important a mangrove forest is for carbon sequestration. They have about 10 times more net capacity than a land based forest mass. And that doesn't even include the nursery/habitat benefits for many kinds of fish and wildlife. Her staff are very nice and professional, and along with her neighbors have become extended family. She provides several community services in her area that they enjoy. As for the snorkeling - absolutely the most plentiful, healthy and vibrant coral and fish populations along her reef stretch of operation that I've ever seen - and I've snorkeled a LOT. I'm diamond with Royal Caribbean, have been on several Princess cruises, and this trip was on the Norwegian Getaway. I've snorkeled in Hawaii, and East/west/southern caribbean waters. Other than maybe a boat tour to Klein Bonaire, no other place I've been comes close to the pristine beauty of this reef that we enjoyed on a long and leisurely drift snorkel, with an additional stop in a more sequestered area that includes a dramatic drop along a high wall. Afterwards Barb serves a delicious vegetarian meal unless you make other arrangements in advance. Seriously, after being on cruise ships for 2 weeks - a lighter healthy lunch was really appreciated. She even gave us one of her monopoly style board games on how to suceed in Roatan! If you travel to Roatan, you should not miss this experience - as it is hands down better than a crowded tour boat closer to port. I will say that even though she has a screened hall for lunch and yoga classes, insect repellent would be good idea to keep the few no-seeums from biting your ankles along the walkways. Or put on snorkel socks before you arrive at the resort. Contact Barb and book your 4+ hours of paradise, you won't regret it. It was actually the best tour we had during our back to back cruises over 16 days in the Caribbean and ABC islands. If you go based on my review, tell Barb that the Kirks from St. Louis said hi, and thanks again!

• 9 months later...
I had heard that Roatan, Honduras had world class snorkeling further away from the cruise ship port area - and wanted to see a mangrove forest up close and personal. I typically check Tripadvisor first, then Cruise Critic if I need more info. I had wanted to take a kayak out through a mangrove forest and snorkel along the reef, and found that this was a one-stop tour that was offered by Upachaya. I spoke with the owner Barb who is very responsive to email, but ultimately settled for her pontoon snorkel tour instead as my wife would have trouble getting in/out of any kayak from the water. Turns out that we were the only two on the excursion that day! Barb gave us a tour of her resort that is truly beautiful and amazing. It's astounding what she's created in the jungle in the few years (around 10 I think) that she's been there. A true entrepreneur pursuing her dreams, she caters to smaller tour groups not exceeding 12 people at a time. She also serves as a trained yoga instructor and provides classroom and retreat facilities. She's dramatically improved the landscape with tropical plants, flowers and fruit trees - all while preserving the mangrove forest on her property. I was fascinated to discover how important a mangrove forest is for carbon sequestration. They have about 10 times more net capacity than a land based forest mass. And that doesn't even include the nursery/habitat benefits for many kinds of fish and wildlife. Her staff are very nice and professional, and along with her neighbors have become extended family. She provides several community services in her area that they enjoy. As for the snorkeling - absolutely the most plentiful, healthy and vibrant coral and fish populations along her reef stretch of operation that I've ever seen - and I've snorkeled a LOT. I'm diamond with Royal Caribbean, have been on several Princess cruises, and this trip was on the Norwegian Getaway. I've snorkeled in Hawaii, and East/west/southern caribbean waters. Other than maybe a boat tour to Klein Bonaire, no other place I've been comes close to the pristine beauty of this reef that we enjoyed on a long and leisurely drift snorkel, with an additional stop in a more sequestered area that includes a dramatic drop along a high wall. Afterwards Barb serves a delicious vegetarian meal unless you make other arrangements in advance. Seriously, after being on cruise ships for 2 weeks - a lighter healthy lunch was really appreciated. She even gave us one of her monopoly style board games on how to suceed in Roatan! If you travel to Roatan, you should not miss this experience - as it is hands down better than a crowded tour boat closer to port. I will say that even though she has a screened hall for lunch and yoga classes, insect repellent would be good idea to keep the few no-seeums from biting your ankles along the walkways. Or put on snorkel socks before you arrive at the resort. Contact Barb and book your 4+ hours of paradise, you won't regret it. It was actually the best tour we had during our back to back cruises over 16 days in the Caribbean and ABC islands. If you go based on my review, tell Barb that the Kirks from St. Louis said hi, and thanks again!

Some of my family are planning to do the kayak excursion but as with your wife, I would not be able to get from the water back into the kayak. Could you tell me if there's a ladder on the pontoon boat to get in and out of the water. Also if you know this, do the kayak group and pontoon group end up snorkeling at the last stop together ? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...