Kennedy Space Center: we're there just a few hours. Worth it? Must sees?

Cinderellie

Family of 10 going on the Norwegian Gem in May to Port Canaveral for the day arriving at 1PM. Kennedy Space Center is only open until 6PM.

Is it worth it for just 4-1/2 hours? None of us are die-hard space fans. We just thought it might be a fun thing to do with 2 parents in their 50's with 8 adult kids, age 21 to 27. We plan on taking Ubers there.

If we go, what are the must sees we can do in the afternoon from 1:30 to 6PM?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I was there last week. We have arrived at KSC at around 1PM and left at 6PM. I didn't have time to check out everything.

For sure, don't miss the space shuttle Atlantis. Also, I did the tour bus, but I would skip. It's a 45-60 minutes ride to see the launch pads. But doing that, you'll miss the Apollo/Saturn V exhibit. I don't know if there is a way to go there without the tour bus. It's a 15 minutes ride to get there.

Since the bus tour and Saturn/Apollo is included in the admission, DO IT! You also get to see the latest SpaxeX launchpad really close. And the Space Shuttle is a MUST too!

Here is a detailed Google map of the Complex and the drive route from the cruise terminals. Keep the map open in a different tab while reading below! Please know the greater complex is an active launch area and bus routes may change to accommodate launch schedules. For example, SpaceX is now using launch pad 39A so you may not get to circle it during your tour.

The first passengers typically depart a ship about 30 minutes to 45 minutes after docking. Those booked on cruise line shore trips may get priority disembark privileges. This means if you dock at 1pm and can hopefully depart the terminal at 2pm, you will reach KSC before 2:30pm – giving you 3.5 hours to explore. If you arrive at noon, you can reach KSC no later than at 1:30pm

Forget about renting a car because you will just waste time shuttling to the office. Use Uber or a taxi. And do your best to be one of the first off the ship!

Now let’s consider the two most interesting attractions with suggested visiting times (if your ship arrives at 1pm). If your ship arrives at noon, then you get an extra hour to add to this timeline (at the end) for other attractions:

• Kennedy Space Center Bus Tour (included with your ticket) – this attraction requires about 2 to 2.5 hours. The last bus of the day departs the center 2.5 hours before closing (3:30pm for 6pm) – giving you only ONE hour before you have to board the bus AND you need to arrive early in line to ensure you can get on the bus; the lines will be long! You will spend 45 minutes driving out to the Saturn/Apollo V Center and 15 minutes driving back – meaning you will arrive at the center at 4:15pm – and will need about 1h15 minutes before return on the 5:30pm bus back to the visitor center (arriving as the Center is closing).
  • Space Shuttle Atlantis – this attraction requires about an hour.

Do consider that you will arrive with busloads of other passengers (sometimes 10 or more buses from 1 or 2 other ships) thereby increasing the wait times in line for both attractions.

So, can you actually experience both attractions (and nothing else) in 3.5 hours? Yes, but only if you manage to do the following:

• Assume you arrive between 2pm and 2:30pm.
  • Rush over to the Bus Tour Departure lines and do your best to get on a bus departing no later than 3pm.
  • Arrive at the Saturn/Apollo V Center no later than 3:45pm
  • Depart Saturn/Apollo V Center no later than 4:30pm
  • Arrive back at the Visitor Center no later than 4:45pm. Rush over to the Space Shuttle Atlantis line.
  • Exit the Atlantis display just before closure time and catch your ride back to the Port at 6:15pm.

It is DOABLE to experience both attractions but you will see nothing else and you have to watch the clock very closely! This rushed tour is not for everyone and it will be frustrating if the lines are long.

Directions and Map of the Complex

KSC is only 18 miles from Port Canaveral – an easy 25 to 30 minute drive and no traffic to worry about!

UberX – $29 +$5 (port pickup fee) = $34 one way. If Uber is not your thing, try Space Port Transport for $50 one way (up to 4 people) or 888-transport (taxi at terminal but ask for a fixed rate, not metered).

Again, here is a detailed Google map of the Complex and the drive route from the cruise terminals.

Admission

Tickets are currently set at $50 per adult plus taxes = $53.25. Various upgrade packages are available.

Those looking for ticket discounts will not have much luck. You can look for coupons in discount booklets found at local gas stations, tourist offices and restaurants but generally you will only save $5 to $7 per ticket and you have to read the small print carefully!

A better discount option is membership in incentive-based programs offered by large companies. Ask your human resources department if your company participate in Tickets At Work for example – see website. This program offers KSC tickets for $39.99 plus tax.

Parking is $10.

Edited by SteerageJoe

• 1 month later...

Have a great time!

Please be aware I've recently updated my information thanks to info from the Sunward Tours reps (who operate NCL, RCL and Carnival shore excursions at Canaveral).

Most of what I posted are still accurate but a few corrections were made at the link below!

For uo-to-date tips, photos and information go here: Guide to the Kennedy Space Center for Cruisers

OP: first, let me say that KSC is WELL worth doing, even in that amount of time. We docked in Port Canaveral on the Gem a couple of years ago, only a bit earlier than you'll be arriving.

Second, I don't know if you are considering NCL excursions, but from what I've read on the NCL board, KSC lets the NCL tours stay an hour after closing. So you may want to check into that. (We did things on own because of friends in Fla.)

My do not miss list includes the bus tour and (getting off the bus) the Apollo/Saturn V exhibit. The real Apollo launch room has been installed there, and you get to sit through the launch of Apollo 8. Quite emotional. Then you can walk around the Saturn V rocket, the size of which must be seen to be believed. The other absolute don't miss imho is Atlantis, which is displayed quite dramatically at KSC with the cargo doors open. We did the shuttle launch simulation ride, which was quite fun.

KSC is awesome. Have a great cruise!

Saturn%20V%201024x678_zpssrrzbqyo.jpg

(Saturn V by turtles06)