passport question for minors

viennastatic

Every one will need a passport. If you are human, and American, you will need a passport. Don't have links handy now, but google up some passport info, or go to a local office and grab a paper on everything you'll need to get all family members a passport. In my town, the 'office' is at our local postoffice. Happy sailing.

I also have two minors not as young, yes everyone breathing is required to have one. The kids are only good for 5 years I beleive, untill they turn 16, then it's good for 10 years. They are not cheap, read all the print because both parents are required to bring the minor to complete the paper work. The only thing I'm not sure on is if they take the oringinal birth cert. or they take a copy and send it back later? Any help with that question I appreciate.:confused:

According the Govt. website, you wont need passports until Jan. 1, 2007/2008. There are 2 different dates on their site, but either one, you won't need to get a passport for your daughter just yet. We have 6 kids going on a cruise with us in May...so when found this out we were jumping for joy:

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, DOS and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. This change will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

you can visit their site: http://travel.state.gov/travel

Go there and check it out. If you still want a passport for your child, you can print out all of the forms from there too. It's a very informative site.

Hope this helps!:)

I also have two minors not as young, yes everyone breathing is required to have one. The kids are only good for 5 years I beleive, untill they turn 16, then it's good for 10 years. They are not cheap, read all the print because both parents are required to bring the minor to complete the paper work. The only thing I'm not sure on is if they take the oringinal birth cert. or they take a copy and send it back later? Any help with that question I appreciate.:confused:

Yes, they take your birth certificate. You get it back with the passport. Note that you don't actually have the original birth certificate, that's on file in the county where you were born. What you have is a "certified copy" with a raised seal or hologram.

Archived