Cingular Cell Phone Coverage Available on Summit

Barry ATL

To answer Barry's original question, I was on the Summit last month on a Mex Riviera cruise. Had my Cingular GSM with me, but only for emergencies (this was vacation!) and luckily didn't need to use the new system. BUT, had a conversation with another passenger who was happily gabbing away on his cell phone pool side in the middle of the Pacific with no land in sight and he said the signal was as good as any on land. Out of curiosity, turned on my phone a few times to see what company I'd connect to - at sea, it was Cingular. In ports, it was the "partner" Mexican company.

Have a great cruise...

Yes, you can use the Blackberry for everything when you're at sea. But, you will rack up those insane charges using Celebrity's satellite. When off the ship, you can use the local satellites, and pay a whole lot less. If I remember correctly, according to my rate plan page, most of the islands in the Caribbean and in Mexico are only $1.29 to $1.49 a minute. But you must activate the international plan before you leave home in order to access foreign satellites.

I don't think for data it works the same way as voice....I think I'll have to call T-Mobile for some clarification and hope I get someone knowledgable. :)

To answer Barry's original question, I was on the Summit last month on a Mex Riviera cruise. Had my Cingular GSM with me, but only for emergencies (this was vacation!) and luckily didn't need to use the new system. BUT, had a conversation with another passenger who was happily gabbing away on his cell phone pool side in the middle of the Pacific with no land in sight and he said the signal was as good as any on land. Out of curiosity, turned on my phone a few times to see what company I'd connect to - at sea, it was Cingular. In ports, it was the "partner" Mexican company.

Have a great cruise...

Since the system onboard the ship is homed via satellite back to a Cingular switch, your phone will show Cingular. Supposedly, they will turn off the equipment while in port and the you will see something other than Cingular on your phone..... unless you are in a US port.

Since the system onboard the ship is homed via satellite back to a Cingular switch, your phone will show Cingular. Supposedly, they will turn off the equipment while in port and the you will see something other than Cingular on your phone..... unless you are in a US port.

I wonder...if your cell phone is on, you get a call and they leave a voice message. But you don't check it until you are in port somewhere...it would just be whatever the roaming is, not any extra charges simply because you had the phone ON on the ship right? I know that sounds like a ridiculous question but sometimes that kinda stuff happens :)

I wonder...if your cell phone is on, you get a call and they leave a voice message. But you don't check it until you are in port somewhere...it would just be whatever the roaming is, not any extra charges simply because you had the phone ON on the ship right? I know that sounds like a ridiculous question but sometimes that kinda stuff happens :)

You will not this answer. With GSM you are charged for voice mail calls when you are roaming. In the US, you are not, because they supress the billing. You will be charged roaming airtime and long distance for someone leaving a voice mail. This is something unique to GSM (Cingular) in the way it handles calls. CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) would not bill you like this.

You will not this answer. With GSM you are charged for voice mail calls when you are roaming. In the US, you are not, because they supress the billing. You will be charged roaming airtime and long distance for someone leaving a voice mail. This is something unique to GSM (Cingular) in the way it handles calls. CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) would not bill you like this.

You are reminding me of why I HATE Cingular. That's ok...will leave phone off until we get into port and instead use my Blackberry for an alarm clock since I can actually turn the wireless off on that without completely shutting it off.

• 3 months later...
I also have a Blackberry with T-Mobile but ONLY use it for data service. I was considering getting the international plan for data, it's 19.95 for February when I'm on our cruise. Would I be able to use the service ANYWHERE on Summit? Meaning would I also be able to the service ON SHIP while at sea for data services without 'roaming'? I know I should probably ask T-Mobile but I thought perhaps someone would know here. A lot of times when you ask a question of any cell phone company you get less than an accurate answer. :)

Hey there! I am a crackberry addict and was wondering what ever happened about you using your device aboard ship?! Were you able to use data? Roam onto the microtower? What kind of rates did you experience? Im leaving on 2 April aboard Infinity for a Panama Canal transit as well.

Thanks in advance for your help and info!

Devin

Hey there! I am a crackberry addict and was wondering what ever happened about you using your device aboard ship?! Were you able to use data? Roam onto the microtower? What kind of rates did you experience? Im leaving on 2 April aboard Infinity for a Panama Canal transit as well.

Thanks in advance for your help and info!

Devin

I was not able to use my blackberry or phone (t-mobile) on the ship, NOR in ANY port I was promised. I was VERY disappointed. I will be calling them to ask for a refund of the international roaming I bought for the Blackberry. It FOUND other networks but would not register to them. I would recommend you purchasing an onboard plan for minutes. Had I known I wouldn't have service I would have done that instead. Good luck!!

I was able to get a signal on my cingular phone the whole time we were on the way to Hawaii. I called my daughter on her birthday while we were at sea but had to stand out by the glass elevators to get a good signal. None of my cousins could get a signal at all until we were in port, but they did not have Cingular service. They did charge me a roaming charge but it was worth it to be able stay in touch.

And no, I am not one of those people who are always attached to their phone. We were keeping tabs on my elderly mother-in-law.

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have a "cell phone" area where people could chat all day and the others wouldn't need to be disturbed or their space infringed upon!!!!! I use a cell phone, and wouldn't think of using it in an area with other people--EVER.

I apologize if the above post sounded snotty. Didn't mean it to. However, I have been bothered a lot during the last few days with being stuck near someone who has to loudly talk on the phone and let everyone around them know their business.

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have a "cell phone" area where people could chat all day and the others wouldn't need to be disturbed or their space infringed upon!!!!! I use a cell phone, and wouldn't think of using it in an area with other people--EVER.

Understood. Our lunches were constantly interrupted with the sounds of the 2 way radios, one person who had one actually said, I can never heard the person we have this for only other people talking, so then why have it?!?!?

I was hoping to use my cell phone on our balcony, in SEMI-privacy. :-)

We were on a Radisson ship a couple of years ago when one of the pax left his table of 6 (at the Lido type buffet) to make a cell call and stood right next to us. I was either 1, too polite, or 2, too shocked to say something. Today I probably would tell him off!!! I guess the rudeness and selfishness of people are the reasons the cell-users have such a bad rep.

Understood. Our lunches were constantly interrupted with the sounds of the 2 way radios, one person who had one actually said, I can never heard the person we have this for only other people talking, so then why have it?!?!?

I was hoping to use my cell phone on our balcony, in SEMI-privacy. :-)

I apologize for my horrible grammer above

My BB worked all over the Southern Caribbean recently. Data. Didn't use the phone. But, I either had a Cingular signal or some roaming partner most of the time. Now, I did have to power it off and on several times so it would pick up the new networks. Cingular signs all over the place down there.

When I did the Western Caribbean I was still AT&T wireless and it really stunk. No service anywhere.

Archived