Royal Caribbean Grandeur Vs. Celebrity Summit

salinza33

Husband and I took our first cruise last year to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Grandeur. Going to Bermuda this summer on Celebrity Summit. Has anyone done both that can tell me what differences to expect? What kind of entertainment to look forward to nightly with Celebrity? Also, saw somewhere that trivia costs on celebrity, is that true? Trivia was definitely a favorite for us. Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

We have taken both ships to Bermuda for the 7 day cruises. The Grandeur will be in dry dock this May and should be looking spiffy. IMHO Baltimore is an easier port to use than Bayonne NJ. If you are Elite or higher, RCCL has better amenities with the Diamond Club etc. Suites on the Summit have better amenities. You will have a great time on either ship. Happy sailing!:)

We have taken both ships to Bermuda for the 7 day cruises. The Grandeur will be in dry dock this May and should be looking spiffy. IMHO Baltimore is an easier port to use than Bayonne NJ. If you are Elite or higher, RCCL has better amenities with the Diamond Club etc. Suites on the Summit have better amenities. You will have a great time on either ship. Happy sailing!

There has not been a charge for Trivia on Celebrity ships. We just got off the Equinox in February. :)

Husband and I took our first cruise last year to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Grandeur. Going to Bermuda this summer on Celebrity Summit. Has anyone done both that can tell me what differences to expect? What kind of entertainment to look forward to nightly with Celebrity? Also, saw somewhere that trivia costs on celebrity, is that true? Trivia was definitely a favorite for us. Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Trivia is definitely free; usually the winning team earns some coupons and at the end of the cruise you can exchange the coupons for prizes (the more coupons you've earned during the cruise, the better the prize).

Both Grandeur and Summit are older ships within RCI and Celebrity's fleets, but the lines do a good job keeping them in very good shape. Summit I believe is a bit larger and newer than Grandeur, but not totally certain (was many years ago I sailed on Grandeur). Was recently on Summit and had a wonderful time; outstanding crew. Celebrity and RCI are probably more alike than different, but do have some different areas of emphasis. In general Celebrity is a bit more adult oriented with an older average age group (whereas RCI is more geared towards families and young couples) and Celebrity emphasis a more tranquil, upscale experience, more polished service and slightly more attention to food quality versus RCI emphasizes more activities, more venues geared towards sports - i.e. rock walls, ice skating, mini golf, flow-rider etc. (though not as much on their oldest ships such as Grandeur) and generally more active nightlife. Celebrity's smoking policy is a bit more restrictive (no indoor smoking anywhere on the ship).

We have been on both Grandeur and Summit. Both are older ships...size is an issue with the bridges that these ships must be able to handle.

When we went on Grandeur it was scooter and walker territory! Not as prominent on the Summit. However, both ships are great and I would book either one without hesitation. Baltimore is probably the easiest port to approach. They are working on the roads to make Port Liberty easier to approach.

Summit has an amazing buffet...you really have to walk around the entire buffet on the first day to get an idea where you want to head for meals...Summit has fewer announcements through out the day...you get a listing..read it or weep!

Either line will offer a great experience!

Royal has just issued a new policy for room service and anything other than a continental breakfast will be $7.95. Don't recall what the date was for Grandeur. You can find the thread and the calendar on the Royal board.

We've been on both of them this year. Grandeur (January)had the best food and very helpful and friendly staff but the ship is showing its age and could use a major sprucing up..wood railings not maintained, carpets pretty threadbare, that type of thing. Summit (October) is about the same size but looks a lot newer. I wouldn't hesitate to get on either of them again and while the food on Grandeur was better the food on Summit was really good and the cabins seemed a little bigger. The storage space in the cabins on the Grandeur was best I've seen on any ship!!!