ship leaves port at 5pm......luggage ????

larasmom

Maybe you will have it but don't rely on it. Attire requirement for dining room is relaxed for the boarding night because a lot of people don't get their luggage on time for dinner. Sorry for the double post

It's rare that your luggage will not show up before your dinner (but it does happen sometimes.) I wouldn't carry dinner clothing around for a couple hours. Don't worry about it, they won't kick you out if you are in shorts or jeans on the first night. Although you may get some weird looks from the other passengers. :eek:

You will never see any of them again after the cruise so it won't matter. :D

It's rare that your luggage will not show up before your dinner (but it does happen sometimes.) I wouldn't carry dinner clothing around for a couple hours. Don't worry about it, they won't kick you out if you are in shorts or jeans on the first night. Although you may get some weird looks from the other passengers. :eek:

You will never see any of them again after the cruise so it won't matter. :D

My husband wore shorts in the dining room every night!

For the record: I dressed accordingly ;)

My husband wore shorts in the dining room every night!

For the record: I dressed accordingly ;)

I assume "ever night" included Formal Nights as well..............:eek: .

I guess he doesn't own any pants.

My sister dates a loser (with hairy legs), who wore shorts to my brother's daughter's formal wedding. Real Cool........:rolleyes:

I have found that the earlier you board the ship, the earlier (usually) your luggage is delivered. Also, you can keep an eye out at the end of the hall where they deposit your floor's luggage, perhaps spying your bags and self delivering them to your room, rather than waiting for them to be delivered.

Another reason why it's good to fly in the day before: you can get a little more gussied up for embarkation and the first day/night at sea, and not be as rumpled as if you flew and traveled all day!

well since we are on the 6th floor and it is the tween deck i suppose and hope we get our luggage quickly.

i am going to look pretty silly on the plane in freezing cold maryland in a pair of capris, short sleeve top and sandals and a winter coat.

I assume "ever night" included Formal Nights as well..............:eek: .

I guess he doesn't own any pants.

My sister dates a loser (with hairy legs), who wore shorts to my brother's daughter's formal wedding. Real Cool........:rolleyes:

Guess again :rolleyes:

I'm going to ignore the fact that you off-handedly referred to my husband as a loser.....

Actually, the first formal night he wore a suit and tie. He wears a suit every day to work - NOT on vacation.

get over it.

If wearing shorts makes one a loser I guess I am married to one too!..my husband chooses shorts as his daily attire even when the weather is 10 bellow 0!....oh well I've done ok in life thus far with this "loser" so I guess I'll keep him..shorts and all!!!!....

One more reply if I may...what is the difference if one wears shorts to dinner or not???....we are on vacation!...even when we go away to Florida, the Caribbean. Vegas, Atlantic City, or really any place other than a cruise on vacation you are permitted to wear shorts in even the nicest dining establishments. Why should anyone else even be concerned with my attire? Is it really anyone else's business how I dress? I don't think so.....and by the way I have never witnessed anyone being turned away from a dining room on a cruise ship because they are wearing shorts. We heard the maitre'd tell someone that inquired once that the so called "no shorts" rule is really just a "suggestion" and they are not allowed to turn anyone away from the dining room based on what they are wearing...even on formal night.

I wear shorts 90% of the time when not at work. However, when going to a 4 star restaurant I try to dress accordingly whether I am on vacation or not, to me that means long pants and occaisionally a sports coat. I figure that if I have been in shorts and swimsuit all day that I can at least wear a nice pair of long pants to dinner. And yes, I have hairy legs. However, wife says they are of the nice hairy variety.

But we digress....:rolleyes:

You should have your luggage in plenty of time for late seating. We once saw our suitcases sitting forlornly in the stairwell and just took them to our cabin ourselves. We saw our cabin steward and let him know just in case he had a checklist - we didn't want him to think it was stolen.

Guess again :rolleyes:

I'm going to ignore the fact that you off-handedly referred to my husband as a loser.....

Actually, the first formal night he wore a suit and tie. He wears a suit every day to work - NOT on vacation.

get over it.

The only loser I referenced, belonged to my sister. Also, I assumed when you said "every night" (and highlighted it), that you meant every night, wrong assumption on my part.

I did not mean to infer anything about your husband, and if it came across to you that way, I apologize.

No tequila for me.......:)

Why should anyone else even be concerned with my attire? Is it really anyone else's business how I dress? I don't think so.....

So I guess my speedo would be ok by that reasoning.... I was turned away for wearing a tank top to lunch in the dining room. Went back and changed,,, not a problem, I just forgot....

and by the way I have never witnessed anyone being turned away from a dining room on a cruise ship because they are wearing shorts. We heard the maitre'd tell someone that inquired once that the so called "no shorts" rule is really just a "suggestion" and they are not allowed to turn anyone away from the dining room based on what they are wearing...even on formal night

I have never taken it as a "suggestion". If it was it would be so stated. The cruise lines are very careful of not offending and causing a confrontation with anyone who chooses to ignore their "rules". Simply ignoring them does not turn them into suggestions. .

All of us can cite examples where people ignore ship rules and are not confronted by ship personnel.

As others have said it is very hit and miss. We usually board early and have sometomes gotten luggage as early as 2PM and sometimes as late as 8PM. Have't yet figured out the secret. We usually carry on take a small rolling bag with our toiletries and clothes for the afternoon and dinner the first night.

Sometimes it was delivered before dinner. On our last 7 day cruise, our luggage was not delivered until after 9 p.m.!! For our last cruise I took advice from the good folks here and packed bathing suits and a simple sundress for dinner (clean shirt for son). Lo and behold, our luggage was in our cabin BEFORE 2:00 p.m. All that trouble of having deoderant, clothes and nessesities I would need - hauling it around since 6:00 a.m. that morning, and we never needed it. Oh well, better to be safe.:D

Out of eleven cruises, I have seen both extremes, I have had luggage be in my cabin as I arrived and on one sailing it showed up after early dinner seating. What we always do is carry some toiletries and a change of clothes and sandals in our carry-on. Just in case.

if the ship leaves port at 5pm and i going to have my luggage in my room in time to change for my late seating dinner?

Typically, you will get your luggage in plenty of time. Sometimes it does get there later, so if that should happen, don't worry about how you are dressed the first evening.

BTW, these posts always deteriorate to a debate, never take it too seriously.

On our last cruise, my Aunts luggage did not arrive in time for our early seating (note to self, never book early seating again!). She was quite upset about it, as the rest of us (15 in all) had gotten our luggage very promptly, within the first hour of boarding. No matter how much I tried to reassure her there was no problem and ours had come abnormally early, she was very worried. So, most of us just stayed in the clothes we had boarded in, so she would not feel so bad. Her bags were in her cabin before dinner was over, she checked midway through the meal.

larasmom,

Sometimes it arrives before late dinner and sometimes it does not. Sometimes only some of the luggage arrives. I usually fly in the day before and plan to wear the same clothes I embark with. On the times I did not fly in early I wore whatever I had on that day. I am a person that can go straight to dinner from work and not worry about it. My travel buddy is not that way. She must freshen up and change clothes before she goes to dinner. So she makes sure she has a change of clothes in her carry-on just in case the luggage does not arrive. Do whatever makes you comfortable knowing there is a 50/50 chance you may or may not get your luggage in time.

Enjoy your cruise.

if the ship leaves port at 5pm and i going to have my luggage in my room in time to change for my late seating dinner?

Having gone on this exact same cruise in August, I can tell you my expierience. We arrived on the ship about 2:30 and went to eat in the Windjammer. My luggage was outside the cabin, but my cousin's wife's was not. We had already begun to cruise at 5:00 and her luggage still wasn't there. After I complained that they would definitely have to provide her with clothing necessary for the trip, lo and behold! They immediately found it among luggage in the lobby on deck 4 where we arrived on the ship at port.

As for changing clothes, don't bother worrying about it. Most of the people wore what they arrived in for dinner. First night is mostly wear what you please. The second night, however, is formal and even then you will see all styles of dress. One man in the dining room simply changed his baseball caps; first night camouflage, formal night white!

Hopefully will meet you on the ship at some point Larasmom! 24 DAYS AND COUNTING!!! WHOOOPEE!!!

Archived