Anthem of the Seas - March 19, 2017 - notes

toras

Instead of a review or blog of my cruise on Anthem, I am compiling a list of things that I didn't know before boarding, even after months of reading the board (maybe not too carefully?)

Embarkation

On our cruise, as soon as you go into the terminal, you line up to go through Security. Then you talk to an agent with a tablet if you have registered online, who will sit you down and ask some questions and make you sign the tablet (with your finger). If you hadn't done it online, you go to the old style agents. Previous cruises had the security line after the agents.

At 1 pm the doors to the cabins opened. We found ours and dropped our stuff and explored the cabin, only to find that it was not clean. The steward poked his head in and told us that the cabin was not done, he needed 20 mins to finish it. Later he remarked that he doesn't know why they opened it up when the cabins are not ready.

Voom

We purchased one Voom package. There was a letter sent to our cabin with the password to use. You try to go to any website on your device and a login screen comes up where you type it in. Whoever types in the password will go online and any one else using the same password would be disconnected. Loading web pages was fine, but I tried youtube a couple of times and gave up each time as it took too long to bring up the video. (Tip: I created a text short cut on my iPhone so I just type aaaa and it will change it to the actual password, something like ar9sz7x.)

IQ app

It worked perfectly when we tested it, but sometimes it failed when we actually use it.

Texting:

If it says "Sent", it means it has gone into the system but has not made it to the recipient's phone. (I got one message 2.5 hours after it was sent)

If it says "Delivered", it means it has made it to the recipient's phone, but there may or may not have been a sound and alert banner so the recipient might not have noticed it.

Phone:

You can call another person using their app id.

I have dialed the number, it says "cannot locate the person at this time".

I have dialed the number, heard the ringing tone but call was not answered, as it never rang on the recipient's phone.

I have dialed the number, it rang and the other party picked up, but could not hear anything I said.

Elevators

Not only do a few of them break down, but several times we were waiting and all the elevators were either at the top or bottom. The first one or two cars that pass by would not stop and they were rather empty. The third one stopped but it was pretty packed.

Disembarkation

We signed up for self-carry when I was at Guest Services. The schedule listed 6 groups for this, 2 groups per time slot. We did not get any notification so inquired which group we were in and were told it doesn't matter. At 5:30 am, the line stretched from the elevators to Two70. Some people were actually sleeping at the start of line - maybe they were there the whole night. At 7 am, there was no line at all and we were off the ship in record time.

More to follow...

Activities and entertainment

iFly

After you watched the intro video, and gotten dressed in the flight suit, you go upstairs and file into the antechamber and sit, and one person goes into the flight chamber. If you want to take a recording of your partner/family, you cannot take the camera or phone into the antechamber - you will have to wait outside and do the recording from there. When your partner is done, you can change places while he films you. Tip: if you are being videoed, remember to keep your mouth closed or you will look like a fish! Spectators can sit on deck 15 and watch or come up to the level of the chamber.

North Star

I heard someone who asked to switch their North Star from Nassau to a sea day and were dissuaded from doing so, as it is a better experience at the port. But we did it at Nassau, and was docked the farthest out, so you have to look across 3 other cruise ships before you see downtown which is a bit disappointing. We were the first group at 9 am, and were in a loose line on the North Star Bar deck. The staff showed up, and wanted us to reform the line going down the stairs. Only 14 people at a time even though we were all booked for 9, so be there early for less waiting.

Seaplex

We tried to book the Puzzle Room at the Seaplex at about 12 pm (alas only slots for singles left by then). The desk is on the right as you enter, and the line formed all the way to the left. People coming in for bumper cars have to cut through the line, or they may get confused and joined the line. They should make the line go out the door to minimize hassle.

Entertainment

My mom was quite disappointed that there wasn't a traditional show of song and dance - she doesn't like stand-up and the a capella group is not her style of music either. They did not check our Sea Pass for Spectra's or The Gift, only for WWRY. None of them were outstanding for us.

Top Tier Event

We got an invitation in our room. It was 11 am on the second last sea day and was at the theatre. Casual dress. There was the guitar player (Portia), singer (Girl named Jake) and the orchestra. Then the caption talked about new ships and awards to the top tiers.

Interactive Art

There are 3 that I know of. The first was the deck 5 chandelier that kept flashing which I found annoying until I saw that it recorded the heart beats of participants and each bulb represented an individual. The second was on deck 4 outside Guest Services, there was a message composed of large letters that can be turned on or off by random switches. The third one which I liked to watch is to the left of the line when you visit Guest Services. It is a panel of wooden blocks. When you walk past it, it will detect light and shadow and each wood block will tilt accordingly.

Gym

Confirmed no change room for the gym, nevermind a shower. A single day pass to use the thermal suite is $35 - I might have gone for it if it was $25.

Thanks for the detailed and unique notes!

Re: the Thermal Spa, do you know:

1) if you book a spa service (massage), do you get to visit the Thermal Spa for that day or is it extra?

2) The Thermal Spa includes - heated chairs, sauna, thermo-bath, anything else?

Appreciate your taking the time to post!

Thanks for the detailed and unique notes!

Re: the Thermal Spa, do you know:

1) if you book a spa service (massage), do you get to visit the Thermal Spa for that day or is it extra?

2) The Thermal Spa includes - heated chairs, sauna, thermo-bath, anything else?

My pleasure!

1. I believe it is included

2. Rain showers

This is based on experience on Oasis since I didn't go to this one but I think they're very similar.

Edited by toras