Parking at the Breakaway in New York

lazarusrevival

We come from Northeast PA. We find it most convenient to drive to the port, but one time we did take a bus in. It wasn't that bad. If you drive in, I recommend coming in the day before and spending the night. It's much less stressful. We also started parking across the river in NJ, here:

http://www.nywaterway.com/indoorparkinggarage.aspx

Then take the ferry across the river and you can either take a taxi up to the ship or walk it--it's about a mile.

We park at the port every time we take breakaway. Yes it's expensive and there are cheaper options, but it is very convenient. You park on the terminal roof, bring your luggage to an elevator, down two levels and you're at the terminal. Reverse when you return. I cringe when I see people struggling to get across the street to catch taxis and shuttles. Not the way I want to end my vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IT really depends on what you want to do.

If you want to walk around the city before our after the cruise then parking at the pier is best as you can throw your bags in your car after and then explore.

If you plan on heading in and then heading right home after the cruise some of the discounted lots are ok but we did this once and waited over 2 hours for our car as there were 40 people in line from the ships in port and only one car elevator at the lot.

I personal;y would take the train in over the bus

We are a family of 6, 4 adults and two children and we drove up the day before and stayed in NJ, then in the morning went and parked at the pier. We had to pay for 2 cars so it was a bit expensive but my mother requires a wheelchair as she cannot walk long distances and it was so easy to park, take the elevator. We looked in to other options but decided we did not want the stress. Best decision we made!

Enjoy your cruise, we loved the Breakaway!

We just booked parkright . It was 198 for the week and looks super easy !

I used Park right 2 years ago. I came off the ship to a flat tire. When moving the car up a couple feet to get a better angle at the tire to inflate it. The side mirror fell off and I took a closer look. Entire side of the car was severely damaged. It was a terrible experience and I would caution anyone not to use this company. They denied the whole thing and it took legal action for me to get reimbursed for the damage.

We are from Boston and have driven in twice and parked at the pier. It is expensive, but so worth the convenience of being right there at the pier when returning home! It's an easy drive to and from! One item of note... keep track of which pier you park at! On our recent Gem Cruise we left from one pier and returned to a different one... thankfully the porter was able to help us figure out at which of the three piers we parked based on landmarks and lugged all of our luggage over to the other pier!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also have a cruise booked for April and have been struggling to find the best way to get all 5 of us plus luggage to NY from RI. I checked bus service which was pretty inexpensive but then we would have to take a taxi to the pier and not sure if we can all fit in one taxi. We also checked the train from Providence and the rates were not too bad but again, we would have to take a taxi from Penn Station to the pier. We decided to take the car and park at the pier which is what we usually do because it's so convenient. It's expensive but worth it. We don't want to pay parking for 2 cars, so we purchased a roof bag for the extra luggage.

Yeah there are cheaper parking sites in the area - but NOTHING beats the convenience of having your car on the roof deck when you disembark! I've done it more than 30 times....Do it, it's worth it.

I am using ParkJockey....3 locations within a half mile...$20 a day.

Found this informative post in an previous forum....

Park Jockey isn't a parking lot or a garage, it's a third party booking agent that will reserve a parking space for you at one of the lots or garages they have a contract with. For example on the date you're interested in, May 3, their website is offering three options. Of the three, ParkRight is the one that has been mentioned fairly frequently by posters here and most who have commented seem satisfied.

A couple of important things to note:

The garages often have additional charges for any vehicle larger than a standard sedan...and in some cases won't take vehicles over a certain size, so you need to check with the particular garage if you're driving a larger vehicle.

The garages are valet parking facilities which means your car can be moved many times during the week you're parked there, which increases the potential for damage to your car. At the cruise terminal you park and lock your own car, so it stays where you've parked it.

We park at the cruise terminal and find the convenience is a fair trade for the higher price.

As one poster above noted....We are staying at the "Hilton Gardens" in RIdgeway Park overnight. Four of us in a room is $325. It's free parking for our 14 day cruise in Jan...which would cost us $560 if we park at the port. They drive you to and from the port for free, and there is a free breakfast in the morning. No worries...can't beat that!

As one poster above noted....We are staying at the "Hilton Gardens" in RIdgeway Park overnight. Four of us in a room is $325. It's free parking for our 14 day cruise in Jan...which would cost us $560 if we park at the port. They drive you to and from the port for free, and there is a free breakfast in the morning. No worries...can't beat that!

Done be,confused. I'm on the same ship as u are. It is 40$/day. Up to 10 daus....Remember 11-30 day parking is a flat fee of 400$ as well. Not 560.

The room is only good if u are coming from afar

Wrong. Max charge to park at port is $400. Plus you don't have to stand around waiting for that shuttle to pick you up at debark

If you can drive from your home that morning just do that and park at the port

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wrong. Max charge to park at port is $400. Plus you don't have to stand around waiting for that shuttle to pick you up at debark

If you can drive from your home that morning just do that and park at the port

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly. It's great for people who life afar. 4 hrs +. Never want to be up at 4am. Drive 4 hrs. Chance of road closures or traffic on a Fri morning

Call Hilton garden inn Ridgefield. They are 18 min from the port. Round trip limo to and from and free parking with your room for 309+ tax. Ask for brian

DO you have a direct number for Ridgefield? I called but was transferred to the generic line and the girl had no idea what i was talking about. Thank you!